free i7 970

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
almost anyways.

Well, I have just recently started folding again, some slow computer somewhere has been ticking over keeping me active, but i do not even know which one it is,

Anyways, i have gotten an i7 970 super cheap (6 core goodness, for $200!)
and was going to put it in my current system, but hey its a 920, it can still fold a bit so I think i ought to get a new motherboard and put this one in an older case and stick it in the basement to keep folding.

current board is Asus P6T SE, which would be moved to the i7 920 in the basement.

any suggestions for a decent every day board i can rely on with the 970? and be as awesomely reliable as this one? i was thinking of the Asus sabertooth. i have RAM, PSU and all the other crap to make it go.

you seriously have a computer folding for you but know idea where it is?

that's funny.

almost anyways.

Well, I have just recently started folding again, some slow computer somewhere has been ticking over keeping me active, but i do not even know which one it is,

Anyways, i have gotten an i7 970 super cheap (6 core goodness, for $200!)
and was going to put it in my current system, but hey its a 920, it can still fold a bit so I think i ought to get a new motherboard and put this one in an older case and stick it in the basement to keep folding.

current board is Asus P6T SE, which would be moved to the i7 920 in the basement.

any suggestions for a decent every day board i can rely on with the 970? and be as awesomely reliable as this one? i was thinking of the Asus sabertooth. i have RAM, PSU and all the other crap to make it go.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. Many of us run this board and one member here even runs the Core i7 970 Gulftown on this motherboard as well. For a minute, I thought you were going to give away a free Gulftown :p

you seriously have a computer folding for you but know idea where it is?

that's funny.

yeah i put it with permission at work on some giveaway mini p4s
that was years ago lol.
im still getting WUs when im not folding (very minimal, but enough to keep me active)

do i have to wait for the bonus per machine, or does it kick in once i return a WU on the new machine with my passkey?

do i have to wait for the bonus per machine, or does it kick in once i return a WU on the new machine with my passkey?
If you've already established an 80% success rate, or better, with the same passkey.. you are good to go.

almost anyways.

Zombie folding FTW!

Sounds like a decent board, for the price i usually like GB, and the price looks good

no just for the passkey.. so 1 system can do 9 WU's and the other 1 and there you have your 10 WU's on that passkey. they have to be A3 SMP or bigadv WU's to be considered in the 10 WU's. so no running 10 uniprocessor clients to get your 10 WU's.

if you plan to run bigadv wu's i suggest doing your first 10 WU's with the standard SMP before putting the -bigadv flag on the 970 or 920.

as far as motherboards the one suggested further up is a good one, or the board that [H] just reviewed is a damn good and easy overclocking board for the money as well.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. Many of us run this board and one member here even runs the Core i7 970 Gulftown on this motherboard as well.

I am the one running a 970 in this board, and it has been about perfect. 4.368 GHz, 24/7 @ 100% load, and it rarely has an issue. I would highly recommend it.

I am the one running a 970 in this board, and it has been about perfect. 4.368 GHz, 24/7 @ 100% load, and it rarely has an issue. I would highly recommend it.

wow, on air? i heard the 970 was really hard to get over 4GHzif i get that board ima gonna be pickin your brains for tips :)

wow, on air? i heard the 970 was really hard to get over 4GHzif i get that board ima gonna be pickin your brains for tips :)

Yeah, and TJMagneto also runs a Gulftown on this same Gigabyte board as well. My 980x hits 4.1ghz, but it was running hotter than I feel comfortable with as I like my cpus running no hotter than the mid 60's(currently running mid to low 50's right now in winter) in the summer. If you get this Gigabyte board, we could compare notes since many of us have already been down this road. I used to be a hardcore Asus person, but have recently fallen in love with Gigabyte.

I am not really one for fancy high end RAM, ill take the 2% hit, i have an unused mushkin "silverline" 12 GB kit, and i have 6 cheapo OCZ sticks = 12GB on the current board doing nicely, but i think they ought to stay with the board, because they work nicely.
I also will use the machines as render farm nodes for my friend, so i like them to be reliable. I think he will be happy for the extra 970 powah :) (if it can fold it can render!)

if you plan to render with them i would stick with the standard SMP client. shouldnt effect the rendering either while its running.

The Sabertooth is an outstanding motherboard and the price is nice as well. I run two of them myself. Look at the review Kyle put up yesterday on the Sabertooth.

Yes, on air. It takes quite a bit of core voltage, but the chip itself runs so cool that air can handle it. 4.0 was pretty easy to get to. One thought - just because you have a 24x multiplier on that chip does not mean you need to use it. I am at 21 x 208. Cooling is handled with a Cogage True Spirit, and temps are mid 70s.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. Many of us run this board and one member here even runs the Core i7 970 Gulftown on this motherboard as well. For a minute, I thought you were going to give away a free Gulftown :p

+1 on the UD3R. You won't have to look very hard for help tweaking your overclock around here either. :)

I ordered a GA-X58A-UD3R
lets see if ++++ can get it to me before greed-fest (not likely i guess)

Best thing on the ud3r is it can be had at the same price almost as the Sabertooth..

I'm setting up a ud3r thisv weekend, but with a 950.

I can't say enough good stuff about the Sabertooth X58.

I recently purchased 2 of these boards and I have to say, they are "Rock Solid - Heart Touching". I have a L5640 @ 3.8 on air with a Coolermaster 212 and a i7 970 @ 4.3 with a Prolimatech Megahalems......

Seriously though, you can't go wrong with either the UD3R or the Sabertooth.

Last edited:
Owned 2 x58a-ud3r boards, sadly sold them when I got my sr-2. Well, sorta sadly sold them....hated to see them go, great boards, truly trouble-free. Glad to get the sr-2 though as replacement. :D
Anytime I'd buy a board nowadays, it would have to be Gigabyte. If they had a dual socket OC friendly Xeon board I would have bought it instead of the sr-2. ;)

Another dumb question, when people say they got "4.2GHZ" does that mean what CPUZ says or what it would be before turbo is added ?

and another one, This thing is doing TPF 00:25:41 on project 6900, is that about right? (thats just with a little OC on the P6T SE, I'm not going to push it too much till i change boards and get a better cooler.)

and yet another one, do the units turned in before you start getting bonus have to be -bigadv? or can they be any SMP ones?

Last edited:
Any overclock number you see posted is going to be the highest number in CPUz or similar, which would include turbo. In my case, I do not have turbo on so turbo is not a factor

25.41 is reasonable on a P6900

You do not need to run bigadv to get your 10 units, and further, you should not run bigadv until you get your 10 to make it quicker. Regular smps will do.

Thanks, all of those answers are good to hear :)

Another dumb question, when people say they got "4.2GHZ" does that mean what CPUZ says or what it would be before turbo is added ?

and another one, This thing is doing TPF 00:25:41 on project 6900, is that about right? (thats just with a little OC on the P6T SE, I'm not going to push it too much till i change boards and get a better cooler.)

and yet another one, do the units turned in before you start getting bonus have to be -bigadv? or can they be any SMP ones?

Just so you have a point of reference, the Gulftown in folding2 will turn in a TPF of 24-25 imnutes on a 6900 with it running at 3.6ghz. If you are going to be pushing your overclocks good, it is usually recommended that you turn the turbo off in the bios in order to prevent any possible instabilities caused.

Thank you for the tips I thought i would be happy with 4 ghz on this chip, but the way it is working now
I will try for more.
3898MHZ folding overnight without doing anything but changing the base clock, on ye olde p6T SE, and h50!
well the h50 has 2 fans on it and is getting nice cold canadian winter air direct from outside through a clothes dryer duct :)

I got the ud3r board today (didnt install yet, need another case for the old one) and had a quick look at the manual. Its like a disco with all those indicator LEDs in there :) and gigabyte GTX460 (installed that of course) which is so much cooler and quieter than that Quadro 4600fx, and seems to do a LOT more PPD.

Watch the water in the H50 doesn't freeze then leak on the motherboard. Maybe a $30 120mm tower would be better suited to that task.

It wont have a chance, its going to be folding all the time till i get a proper air cooler :) its own inefficiency will save it, its -5c out now and the cpu is still 75c, i think it will keep the water warm enough as long as i dont stop folding :) but now you made me all paranoid lol. maybe time to invent an arduino vent opener/closer and fan reverser(so when its hot out it will blow inside air heated up by the radiator outside)

what it would take is just an arduino and a servo, and a temp sensor, if the temp in front of the rad is less than 0, then start guiding inside air instead of outside air. hmm, maybe a project

Last edited:
Back