free CD to MP3 software?

BillLeeLee said:
That's pretty much the benefits of EAC.
You can also use any codec you want while other rippers (iTunes and WMP, for example) only give you a few options.

EDIT: Forgot to point out that CDex (among others) also do this.

B. W. said:
You can also use any codec you want while other rippers (iTunes and WMP, for example) only give you a few options.

EDIT: Forgot to point out that CDex (among others) also do this.

Does CDex correct errors on the fly, as EAC does?

I like EAC, but I run a limited XP account and EAC doesn't detect my drives. There is a service for that for CDburnerXP and nero, but it doesn't seem to help for EAC. I end up just using RunAs to load EAC as admin, but that's no fun.

For those of you who have brought up the tagging issue.

USE FOOBAR

If you really want a good music collection (and actively going out to get and figure out EAC and LAME tells me that you do), then take the time to learn foobar.

foobar can do EVERYTHING (except rip a CD, that's what you have EAC for :))

anyone here using winamp should definetely make the switch, as should people with wmp. itunes people are pretty screwed cuz of drm, but yah..

Give foobar a try

foobar + flac + lame + eac is all you need

Fryguy8 what are the advantages of Foobar over Mediamonkey? Mediamonkey supports ASIO output, mass tagging, file monitor and file conversion. The learning curve for Foobar seems steep and the interface appears crude.

> appears crude.

If by "crude" you mean aesthetically pleasing and highly functional, then yes.

(I just googled mediamonkey and it looked absolutely horrible. Cluttered up the whazoo)

Whiznot said:
Fryguy8 what are the advantages of Foobar over Mediamonkey? Mediamonkey supports ASIO output, mass tagging, file monitor and file conversion. The learning curve for Foobar seems steep and the interface appears crude.
Crude?

Even I wouldn't reccomend foobar for it's tagging features, but everything about it is customizable.

@ Fryguy8: Foobar does have ripping support too, albiet limited.

Last free version of dBpowerAMP.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/bin/dMC-r10.exe

This version comes with Lame version 3.93

But you can use newer versions of the Lame mp3 encoder with it.

Go here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm.

Download the version you want and unzip it, you only need the lame_enc.dll in the zip.

Once dBpowerAMP is installed go to: program files>Illustrate>dBpowerAMP>Compression>Lame you'll see the lame_enc.dll. Just replace that with the newer version lame_enc.dll you downloaded from free-codecs.com.

Many more encoders/decoders, including FLAC, for dBpowerAMP can be found here:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

B. W. said:
Crude?

Even I wouldn't reccomend foobar for it's tagging features, but everything about it is customizable.

@ Fryguy8: Foobar does have ripping support too, albiet limited.

I'm a programmer, so I guess I don't mind getting my hands dirty in Tagz every now an then.

Masstagger support in foobar is IMO awesome though. Most of the time I tag an entire album and merge it into my existing directory structure in about 10 clicks.

Back