free antivirus where?

I prefer Antivir from www.free-av.com It is a very flexible AV and, once you have it installed, you can even just copy the folder and drop it to another computer to run a scan. I will even update from the folder, with no registry entries or anything.

I don't like the advertising that comes with antivir though. Any way around this? Is this a problem for anyone else?

The only advertising that I am aware of is a pop-up when you update on occassion. It's never bothered me and I know of no way to remove it.

The Bryophyte said:
I prefer Antivir from www.free-av.com It is a very flexible AV and, once you have it installed, you can even just copy the folder and drop it to another computer to run a scan. I will even update from the folder, with no registry entries or anything.
Anti-Vir is no doubt the best anti-virus I've used, and that's saying something.

thanks. the only i already knew about was avast.
why does everybody like norton so much, i never ever find a single virus with this pos. personally i think viruscan is better, i always find 1 virus with that at least.

People like Norton because it is the most popular brand and, back in the day, it was good. It's sort of like Dell desktops. You can get better stuff, but the average user doesn't know that and they recognize the name. You are certainly right that the Norton stuff is crap though, especially the internet security and systemworks products.

Wesley1357 said:
thanks. the only i already knew about was avast.
why does everybody like norton so much, i never ever find a single virus with this pos. personally i think viruscan is better, i always find 1 virus with that at least.
Is it possible Norton blocked the virus, and the other program allowed it to be installed?
In terms of Norton home products, they are mostly bloatware, but they do work. Their Symantec Corporate products are pretty much the industry standard. In all of our in-house testing, Symantec Corporate picks up more than anything else.

Symantec Corp > all

Norton antivirus is a good program, but it does take up a lot of system resources.
Norton internet security = shit IMO.

I just started using AVG on client's machines that don't have a scanner installed. So far so good.

viruscan is the one that makes computer slow like ass.

and norton systemworks never has anything new with each new version, that SUCKS!

yes, use avg or avast, and augment it with the free online scanners.

Have said this many times before.

One should NOT rely on a single scanner alone.

Back