Free 32Mb memory key - IBM

Tried it oot and it didn't work at all. Scraped off the ink and it's working, but I still have that large amount of wasted space by IBM.
 
I'll try to explain this again....

Writing 0's (thats zero not the letter O) to the drive is exactly what it sounds like. Data is stored as a series of 1's and 0's on PC's. By writing 0's to the entire drive you have effectively made the entire drive completely blank. Somtimes this process is referred to as a low level format. There are many many many programs to low level format HD's outside of windows but most do not support USB drives.

Zilla Data Nuker is a program that runs from windows and should shred USB drives. Since it doesn't seem to work in this particular instance try another program. There are many listed here: http://www.download.com/File-Disk-Management/3150-2248_4-0.html?tag=dir Or you can run a search to find a tutorial or what have you. Here is a forum post with a link to another program to low level format a USB drive: http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwboard/forum/33941.html

I ordered one of these drives shortly after it was posted. Once it arrives I'll try to write 0's across the drive and I'll let you guys know what, if anything, worked. Hope this clears it all up...
 
hmm.....glad you all are haven fun with your drives still havent got mine yet hopefully it'll come soon.
 
plmartin

you have to short it while its connected to the PC, with paperclips or that conductive ink,

then it will ask you to format it. after it asks you i guess you can break the short you made before, then format it and you got the space back
 
well I get it to format but the IBM stuff still starts when I plug it in????????

why.JPG


thanx
 
MoFo said:
so the IBM stuff gone??

thanx
Yep. Paperclips, at least mine, probably aren't very good at conducting electricity. Take a pocket knife and touch it to one end of each resistor and you should be good to go.
 
woo hooooo got mine today...

:( shorted it dead. damn youuu...i can't even format it now. it just says 0mb and 2mb for the autorun taht doesnt exist anymore but the partition is there. ah well...i already have a 256mb one.

well...at least i got a usb extension cord now...
 
How'd you kill it? I scraped that board up so much and even scraped off a resistor. It wouldn't boot for a little bit. Just some tinkering and it works fine.
 
its kinda funny, the amount of work you are all willing to go to for a product that is nearly valueless. What are these selling for? 10? 15? Lol... [h]ardcore!!!!
 
dekard said:
its kinda funny, the amount of work you are all willing to go to for a product that is nearly valueless. What are these selling for? 10? 15? Lol... [h]ardcore!!!!

Seriously...it's just the idea that you got it for FREE :)
 
$0 is still cheaper than $10 or $15.... I will be using mine just for flashing windows ce at work, no need for a large drive for that
 
question for those who have recieved their drives did you enter your personal information in the personal box that wasnt required or just make up a company name and then give your real addy as the company addy.
 
This is about the 5th one of these free USB drives I have signed up for.

Still no drive yet in the mail. :mad:
 
Seems like there was a big shipment that went out, but I didn't get mine. Has anyone gotten one in the past few days? I signed up just after it was originally posted, but still nothing.
 
FlipperBizkut said:
Seems like there was a big shipment that went out, but I didn't get mine. Has anyone gotten one in the past few days? I signed up just after it was originally posted, but still nothing.
I think I signed up the same day this was posted, and I haven't received anything either. I'm so sad....
 
how many people total actually got theirs that are still reading this thread?

i didnt see anything in the mail. :(
 
arock1_3 said:
Almost a month and still waiting :mad:
I guess I will quit feeling anxious about this one. Plus the 4imprint people (another thread) sent me a 128MB one anyway.
 
I did this when it was first posted on techbargains.com and I have not gotten anything. IBM is starting to bum me out :(
 
I got a flier a couple days ago to go to "an IBM conference near you," but there wasn't a usb key in the envelope, so now I don't like IBM :mad:
 
I tried back on July 9th 05 and my application was (apparently) accepted yet not a peep since then. No peep and no key.
What a shabby way to treat the public.
 
Back
Top