Freaky errors

Enigma said:
Try this Remove your network protocol stack on all three machines. then reboot the machines and let windows re-install the stack.... Then run the network setup wizard on each machine... After this has completed check to see if you have access between all 3 machines. I have a network of 4 computers and I go through this everytime I format a machine. It works for me so it might work for you :D

how do i reinstall the stacks? i've done winsock fix already.

under network connection properties, click add under the protocals and choose tcp/ip

I don't think it is tcp/ip causing the problem, for some reason i was thinking about it today and it sounds like a netbeui problem, if that is being blocked, or not working you won't ba able to see network files right?

i can connect to other computers. i can see files. but people can't view my shared files. i can play lan games though.

after right clicking on all my files, everything has read only filled in with green square.

lol i gave up hope to, i' did chkdsk, no go. i did repair install, no go. i replaced nic card, no go. i formated and reinstalled windows. everything worked fine :(

well time for some major game updates :(

have you replaced any of the cables and tried different ports on the switch?

yes/yes/yes i've swapped out everything, something was wrong with windows, after formatting everything is working fine. as i said b4 i tried repair instal check disk, making new user.. replacing network card, diff port on router reseting router firmware update on router, new drivers for network cards, winsockfix utility. i checked my services they were the same as my other computer, i turned off firewall i made sure sharing was on, i tried simple file sharing and non-simple file sharing, i made sure everything was full control... something was wrong with windows :X

todlerix said:
yes/yes/yes i've swapped out everything, something was wrong with windows, after formatting everything is working fine. as i said b4 i tried repair instal check disk, making new user.. replacing network card, diff port on router reseting router firmware update on router, new drivers for network cards, winsockfix utility. i checked my services they were the same as my other computer, i turned off firewall i made sure sharing was on, i tried simple file sharing and non-simple file sharing, i made sure everything was full control... something was wrong with windows :X

so does that mean you fixed it?

Sharing files in XP, even with Microsoft's "help" is still deceptively difficult and frustrating. And I'm surprised people are diving into stack issues and TCP/IP issues when permissions have only been mentioned in passing.

Someone early on mentioned adding accounts on each computer as admin, or something. That will usually work, but it's a workaround and doesn't really address the real problem.

First, turn off all host-based firewalls on your XP machines, including the XP firewall. Just to be safe, reboot them all and recheck.

Second, make sure your file and print sharing is turned on on all your active network connections.

Third, go to the folder you want to share. Right-click it and click the Properties option. Click the Sharing tab and share that folder with a proper name.

Fourth, click the Permissions button under the Sharing tab. Everyone should be listed with READ permission by default, since SP2, I believe, changes this behavior. This is good so leave it. If you don' thave it, add EVERYONE with Full Control. If this all works, you can play with limiting this permission later on.

Fifth, click the Security tab. Windows XP uses NTFS which has permissions-based security. Sharing has permissions-based security as well, but they are not the same. Add EVERYONE to the permissions and give Full Control. Again, you can limit this later on.

Try things out and see if you can connect. If not, continue on.

Sixth, go to your C: drive in My Computer or Windows Explorer. Right-click on it. Go to Security tab and give EVERYONE read permission to it.

Try again. If this does not work, backtrack and undo any changes made in step 6.

If that still does not work, then yes, you may have some network issues, though with a network hub, I really doubt it. Click Start->Run and type cmd. At the prompt, type "ping computername" and wait for replies. You should get replies from all existing machines on your network.

Try connecting to a machine from the prompt. Type "net use \\computername\c$ /user:administrator youradminpassword" and press enter. You should get a command executed successfully response. Use the admin password for the computer you are attempting to connect to. Open Windows Explorer and type the address \\computername\c$ and see if this opens up the other computer's C: drive. It should if the command above was succcessful.

If this works, this tells you that there are no network issues, and you may just have OS/permissions issues.

NOTE: C$ is a Windows default "admin" share. Do not try to remove it, it should be there (and yes, if you can already guess it, that is a security issue, default administrator account, default share...gee..all you need is password? But that's not for a discussion like this, hehe).

Like I said though, XP sharing, while easy when it works the first time by luck, is frustrating when it doesn't work right away and you actually have to fix it. :) If this is XP Home, upgrade to Pro. I'm not sure if Home supports sharing, but t certainly does not support much in terms of network sharing and connectivity at all...it is meant as a standalone only.

i have done everything u have mentioned, i had to format my HD and reinstall windows, repair install didnt work. and yes now it works.

LonerVamp
10x for the lecture.
I copied it into word doc, for future references :)

Back