Freaky errors

todlerix

2[H]4U
heres the run down.

Three computers, d-link router all have internet access.

netowrk.JPG

"This Computer" can access files on both "PC2" and "PC3"
"PC2" can acess files on "PC3"
"PC3" can acess files on "PC2"
"PC2" cannot access "This Computer"
"PC3" cannot access "This Computer"

"PC2" Computer name is gateway
user name is XPUser (admin user)

"PC3" comptuer name is dell
user name is Nolan (admin user)

"This Computer" computer name is Goober
user name is Todd (admin user)

My problem is no one can access "My Shared Folder" on "This Computer(Goober)"

When attempting to connect to "This Computer(Goober)" i recieve this error
error.JPG

i have all 3 computer sharing the 1 folder "My Shared Folder"

So first, i turn off simple file sharing make everything 100% full access/control to all, didnt work.

turned firewall off, on all 3 computers, didn't work

tried using windows xp home network setup, didnt work.. ran the wizard on all 3 computers using the same config.

Now, I need your help... please thanks

argh if train A is coming at X miles per hour and train B takes a pit stop at station C but then detours to station D where A started and...

my head!

Did this setup ever work for file-sharing?

Basically what you have is a permissions problem. Every computer should at the least have the same usernames on them. They should have the same passwords for each user as well.

Otherwise you will get permissions issues like the ones you are having.

sharing files over xp systems is extremely easy and has nothing to do with permissions, if it's xp that is.

if all computers are using winxp home or pro you can try to ping by doing this:

first, find out the ip addresses of all the computers. you can do this by going to the control panel, then network connections, choose the correct lan (most likely just local area connection) double-clicking it to bring up the "local area connections" window. Then choose the support tab at the top and check the IPs.

Once you have the IPs you can then try to ping the computers. Go to the the start menu- run - type "cmd" (without quotes). The command prompt window will appear. Then just type ping and whatever ip address you want. You'll be able to tell if it's successful because if not it'll say "timed out" or "destination host unreachable (means you can see them but can't really get through)"

let me know what happens.

it can see "This Computer" workgroup, so its for sure seeing it, but let me do that ping thing, gimme 5 mins

well no one mentioned it so i guess i will, Does "this computer" have file and print sharing for MS netowrks selected in the network properties window?

open my network, the network connection you are using right-click go to properties, there you should see all the protocals and stuff. File and print sharing should be checked

another thing while I think about your problem. Are the pc's all updated with service pack 2?

Just run the home/small business networking wizard on all machines. Should take care of you unless you modified stuff.

OldPueblo said:
Just run the home/small business networking wizard on all machines. Should take care of you unless you modified stuff.
tried it already, no go :(

Umm.... did you check through the new security features to make sure anything wasn't blocking it? like firewall settings? wait, you tried that. This is a tricky one. It looks like some sort of permissions thing, but I haven't seen any errors like that. Check the properties the shared folder and make sure they match that of the other computers' folders. If worst comes to worst you could always just reset the router and try again. or undo what you did, trying to start fresh is what I mean, from the beginning.

done that done that done that, i even restored default settings on router, its nothing with the router.. its gotta be something in windows.. i unchecked siimple file sharing, i went to "everyone" and clicked full controler. didnt work.. so i went to all the other ones and clicked full control.. still nothing

some networking god needs to come save me

No ZoneAlarm? I had to uninstall it on a network because even disabled it still got in the way.

hmm, I'm lost. This is very interesting as sharing files shouldn't be this hard.

If you have simple file sharing on, you have to make sure that the guest account is on for all the computers to access eachother otherwise you will have to create all three users on each computer to get it to work (I did the each user on each computer before I don't like the Guest account) The other way (if you have extra money) is to setup Active Directory and have the user base in one location and have all the computers get all the log on information from that computer (requires Win2k server or above)

Hope this helps.

Karandras69 said:
If you have simple file sharing on, you have to make sure that the guest account is on for all the computers to access eachother otherwise you will have to create all three users on each computer to get it to work (I did the each user on each computer before I don't like the Guest account) The other way (if you have extra money) is to setup Active Directory and have the user base in one location and have all the computers get all the log on information from that computer (requires Win2k server or above)

Hope this helps.

Bingo! I believe we have a winner. I also remember seeing somewhere that XP SP2 disables the guest account by default.

The other way, the way I mentioned earlier, is to have the same useraccounts and passwords on each computer, that way if "John" on computer A tries to access a shared file on computer B, computer B will know who "John" is and grant privledges based on the user "John" on computer B. But if "Jack" logs into computer A and tries to access shared files on computer B, and computer B has Guest account turned off and no user names "Jack" then it doesn't know who "Jack" is or what permissions he should have, so, under Windows default, he gets no permission and now "Jack" can't access files on computer B unless he physically goes to computer B and adds himself as a user at computer B.

nope, nope... nope and nope and nope :(

i activated the guest accounts, same error.. i created a user name on PC2 identical to "this Computer"... same errors

this is realllllllllly reallllllllllllly dumb :confused:

Did you try enabling the guest acct in computer management? (right-click on my computer > manage > "local users and groups")

If that doesn't work, try connecting to the other computers using their IP.

no firewall besides windows, and i have tried de-activating it..

as for right clicking on my computer and going to manage, guest accout is enabled.

k1pp3r, im goign to try that right now

"To resolve this issue, at the primary domain controller, add the administrator account to the local administrators group, and then synchronize the domain."

umm i dont know what that means, or how to do it :(

todlerix said:
no firewall besides windows, and i have tried de-activating it..

as for right clicking on my computer and going to manage, guest accout is enabled.

k1pp3r, im goign to try that right now

ok, i'll stick around for a few more before i hit the bed

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition

im on xp pro, i dont apply :X

ok, 2 questions then i am sleeping on it, i need sleep. anyway, are all 3 on the same workgroup, and two will it let you map the drive on goober and attempt to browes it? If it giver you an error, is it the same?

Sorry didtn' see the bottom thing about NT

todlerix said:
i dont know how to map a network drive, i am networking nooblet :(

1) set c: up for sharing

2) right click <my network places> Map network drive, select driver letter (any really) path should be \\goober\"drive name" (without quotes)

see if you can see it that way

how do i make PC2 see the network drive, or because its not showing... is that part of the problem

todlerix said:
"To resolve this issue, at the primary domain controller, add the administrator account to the local administrators group, and then synchronize the domain."

umm i dont know what that means, or how to do it :(

Only applies to domains. You're running a peer-to-peer workgroup, that is why you need to have the same account on each computer.

Try this Remove your network protocol stack on all three machines. then reboot the machines and let windows re-install the stack.... Then run the network setup wizard on each machine... After this has completed check to see if you have access between all 3 machines. I have a network of 4 computers and I go through this everytime I format a machine. It works for me so it might work for you :D

Did you try running winsockfix or connecting to each computer thru their IP addresses?

yeah, try reinstalling the network protocol on all the machines. I don't believe this is the problem, but you're down to trying anything right now. I've never had any problems with sharing files over my 2 networked computers and it took me all of 5 minutes, if that. The fact that you can't see the files on goober has nothing to do with the users on each computer. that shouldn't matter at all. Once I get home I'll double check all my settings for the shared folders and file sharing properties to see I missed anything that might help.

Back