Fraps Question

Shantarr.Dalrae

[H]ard|Gawd
I searched the forums and the intarwebs and was unable to find a relevant or accurate answer.

When recording certain games (metro 2033, Stalker: Clear Sky) I drop from my normal 60/144 [respectively] fps down to the 20's.

However when recording MW2, I only drop from 102 to 90.

What would be the limiting factor here and why does it differ so drastically between games?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I have similar issues as well with fraps. I can tweak it to help a bit, but at times games are unplayable while recording.

I have not confirmed it yet but my newest working theory on fraps is to try recording to a different HD then what I am playing off of.

Again no idea if that will help but it is my next step to figure out why on my otherwise beefy computer my performance hits the shitter when recording.

I currently play On a Raptor X black edition and have a dedicated 7,200RPM for recording.

Still have the same issues. No matter which HDD I use. =\

That's not to say that a HDD bottleneck doesn't exist in some configurations... I merely believe that it does not in mine currently.

Thank you for the info though!

I play games off of my 300gb WD Raptor and record to my second hard drive. The same shit happens to me... Bad Company 2 especially.

The 2 things fraps relies on is CPU time and hard drive speed.

Primarily the CPU speed is going to affect recording speeds at all resolutions, some games are more CPU dependent than others, you might find the FPS limit you're seeing in any one game is GPU limited where as in another game it might be CPU limited...games that are already CPU limited will see the harshest drops in frame rate.

2ndly the hard drive will need to keep up with recording all of that data, no such a huge problem at small resolutions like say 1280x1024 but anything large like 1920x1080 (HD), 1920x1200, 2560x1600 is going to require a very quick hard drive, the VelociRaptor range are very good 10,000 rpm hdds from Western Digital with very good sustain write speeds, you could also have a look at SSDs if you've got a bit of cash to burn.

I constantly run around 60 FPS in BC2 pretty much everywhere, but when I begin recording, it always drops to 25 or so. I record at half size (so 960x540 is half of 1920x1080) and set the capture settings at 60FPS, non-locked framerate to a 7200rpm SATA hard drive. Rig in sig, I think I should be getting better frames while recording imo

From what Princess has said, if I am interpreting it correctly anyway, is that if a CPU dependant game is already tapped out it will cause a slowdown.

I am willing to get a SSD, or hell even a SSD raid to record to if I can prove it's the solution...

I have a i7 920 @ 3.4 + xfire'd 5850's atm.

Are you seriously recording at 90 frames a second?

If you record 90 freakin' frames a second a SSD will fill up in 20 minutes. Do you really need to record that much though? The files must be huge.

Hmm you might want to wait for the next release, it'll probably increase your fps while recording for metro 2033

PrincessFrosty is on the right track: MW2 is not that CPU heavy of a game. However BC2, Stalker, and Metro 2033 are CPU heavy games. As such, the small drop in FPS with MW2 with FRAPS and the dramatic drop with the other games.

I think he meant 0 frames as in game frames not the recording frames. 30 should be enough I guess.

Back