Fradulent aactivity?

runs fine here with two 7950's 1440p at 120% scallng, everything maxed out and constant 60fps

dx11 ofc, mantle never worked

Hey this is like the old days before Catalyst driver for ATI cards!!! Fury Maxx was boss!!! With a new driver every 3 weeks that broke something!!! lol :p

This is no joke. Whoever is at fault, Game devs, AMD, or little green aliens. I'm pissed. I paid $1000 for my vgas I expect them to deliver what they promised.

I'm no AMD fan, at the time of purchase 290x seemed the right choice. 780 was slower in reviews, 780TI was much more expensive. I buy what I think offers the best performance for the price I'm willing to pay, I couldn't care less who is the manufacturer.

When in doubt, I would just assume it's either AMD's really crappy drivers, or DICE's very crappy coding. (I say this as both an AMD videocard owner and a fan of Battlefield.)

This is no joke. .

Did you use DDU to uninstall the old drivers out of every registry/directory? One thing that use to cause this with AMD drivers was installing over the old ones. Tell ya what. Use DDU, full uninstall of previous drivers then reinstall new ones.

Tell you another thing. If this was as chaotic as you are saying, AMD would have announced something, they have in the past. Roy@AMD would be like "Churchill says fightin with 3 cylinders is better than none. Hang in there. SOON." :p

This is not due to user error, which is why I, and many others, are outraged. It has been three months and no word from AMD. This is why I am asking those who are in such a position to bring publicity to this, to do so, as all I am hoping for is some simple acknowledgement that the problem is being worked on. BF4 is a major game; this should not go unresolved and remain unmentioned for three entire months. Even if it's not AMD's fault, they should say something.

This is not an isolated incident, it is as wide spread as it appears.

I am at the point where I doubt I will ever buy another AMD card again, even if nvidia rapes and milks people with their prices and tactics, at least they are quick to resolve and improve issues of mainstream game titles.

Last edited:
I think 290 and 290x are not optimized well enough with Intel cpus for BF4. Didn't nvidia release a driver last month or 2 months ago that boosted their cards up to 20% with Hyperthreading? I can swear I read about it in few places.

It would be great if Kyle did a MP benchmark between 290/x vs 770/780/970/980 on a Intel platform, I think the numbers would speak louder than words.

Here is what Sam has to say about it.

Warsam71 said:
Yes I have heard of the issue (i.e. memory leaks, bad or poor memory indexing and calls related to BF4) and it has already been reported to the Driver Team. I'm going to forward your PM to the engineers in a moment to ensure they have as much information as possible.

And will do my best to provide you an update

Thank you Priller

This is not due to user error, which is why I, and many others, are outraged. It has been three months and no word from AMD. This is why I am asking those who are in such a position to bring publicity to this, to do so, as all I am hoping for is some simple acknowledgement that the problem is being worked on. BF4 is a major game; this should not go unresolved and remain unmentioned for three entire months. Even if it's not AMD's fault, they should say something.

This is not an isolated incident, it is as wide spread as it appears.

I am at the point where I doubt I will ever buy another AMD card again, even if nvidia rapes and milks people with their prices and tactics, at least they are quick to resolve and improve issues of mainstream game titles.

0 issues with 7970 and dx11. This is with an intel chip (3570k)

I don't think the 7000 series have issues with bf4. R200 series is another story.

Had zero issues playing bf4 with an r9 290. ZERO.

The only issues I ever had with bf4 was at launch with servers constantly crashing, which wasn't drivers related.

Had zero issues playing bf4 with an r9 290. ZERO.

The only issues I ever had with bf4 was at launch with servers constantly crashing, which wasn't drivers related.

Tony can you post some details. Mantle or DX? Single monitor or Eyefinity, Intel CPU or AMD, How much System Ram? Are you overclocking your cpu or gpu at all? Have you played since the July update?

Tony can you post some details. Mantle or DX? Single monitor or Eyefinity, Intel CPU or AMD, How much System Ram? Are you overclocking your cpu or gpu at all? Have you played since the July update?

Single monitor (1080p 144hz or 1440p 96hz) and dx. Processors I used with this game was the 4770k at 4.6 (sold), 3770k at 4.6 (sold), and current 5820k at 4.4. 16gb of ram on all systems, and the gpu was at 1000mhz.

Yes I still play this game unlike some of the casuals that cry about everything bf4 related. The card was replaced with a gtx 980 a week ago though.

I don't think the 7000 series have issues with bf4. R200 series is another story.

You think wrong, the 7000 series has an even bigger issue, Mantle was sweet and DX with my trifire 7950s was fine until the july 8th patch.

I doubt that tony, memory leak is real and present with mantle, maybe you just didn't pay enough attention.l to your system ram or gpu load after 3 rounds because that's when it all starts to unfold.

I doubt that tony, memory leak is real and present with mantle, maybe you just didn't pay enough attention.l to your system ram or gpu load after 3 rounds because that's when it all starts to unfold.

I think tony didn't use mantle. That's why he didn't notice the memory leak. It's possible he may have had the gpu utilization bug but didn't notice it because he was running over 45 fps.

I think tony didn't use mantle. That's why he didn't notice the memory leak. It's possible he may have had the gpu utilization bug but didn't notice it because he was running over 45 fps.

He also said that he ditched his 290 for a nvidia 980 but didn't say why, I ditched my 290 because I wasn't happy with the actual perf for some big name games.

If he honestly and accurately has no issues with the r9 and bf under BOTH mantle and DX, then he will be the first person I have come across to be so lucky to not have an issue. However, I highly doubt it, and I attribute it to poor observation.

He also said that he ditched his 290 for a nvidia 980 but didn't say why, I ditched my 290 because I wasn't happy with the actual perf for some big name games.

He said he replaced it. Ditched is a strong word that he definitely didn't use in that post.

If he honestly and accurately has no issues with the r9 and bf under BOTH mantle and DX, then he will be the first person I have come across to be so lucky to not have an issue. However, I highly doubt it, and I attribute it to poor observation.

Possibly his observations weren't as thorough. It's possible with the amount of people reporting the issue he did run into the issue but his fps was over his threshold for what he considers slow. Also if you play looking for the issue your more likely to notice something than if your just going in and playing for fun. For many, as long as your over a certain performance line you wont notice or you'll attribute the slowness to possible server lag that day.

I have noticed the low GPU usage with my cards also. The only way I am able to get higher usage is to bump up the resolution scale over 125%.Also your frame rate needs to be uncapped. I run capped @65fps with 100% scale and my card stay around 50% usage. The fps stay solid at my cap, which is fine. I am running DX also because the Mantle memory leak is terrible.

I never used mantle and I switched because I can. I do this all the time (has eyes on gm200 and r9 390x). ;)

r9 290 under water, was one of the best cards I've ever owned.

To the guy that contacted the AMD rep... anymore feedback? When do they plan on fixing this problem?

I fear this sort of issue is going to become more and more prevalent as Mantle and D3D12 become more widespread. Removing the overhead of older D3D APIs also means that doing what was done in that inefficient, monolithic, catch-all overhead is given to the individual game devs to work out themselves "closer to the metal". This leaves gamers at the mercy of the competence level of the various game studios, rather than being able to blame the shortcomings of Microsoft.

I fear this sort of issue is going to become more and more prevalent as Mantle and D3D12 become more widespread. Removing the overhead of older D3D APIs also means that doing what was done in that inefficient, monolithic, catch-all overhead is given to the individual game devs to work out themselves "closer to the metal". This leaves gamers at the mercy of the competence level of the various game studios, rather than being able to blame the shortcomings of Microsoft.

But this is great news now that you have 100% responsibility as a developer means that you got to fix things and not get things fixed before you can finally fix things.

I'm not certain DICE acknowledges that they have any responsibilities. Therein lies the problem...

I'm not certain DICE acknowledges that they have any responsibilities. Therein lies the problem...

Well I have heard otherwise? The other option where you wait for the driver team to try and figure out what is wrong and hope they can fix the bug as a developer is rather tedious.

Better the tedium be absorbed by graphics driver developers than by, in this case, customers.

Better the tedium be absorbed by graphics driver developers than by, in this case, customers.

Well DICE has one of the most complex engines and to keep it to your opinion of making it a driver related bug would be beneficial to whom exactly?

AMD driver team is not made to backtrack bugs and with Mantle it is simple DICE has to do it.

Half of the time Mantle didn't work for me on crossfire 290Xs.

I had severe texture issues till 14.4. Things got a bit better but then 14.9 broke everything, including frame consistency.

I am not sure what AMD is smoking but it continues to break more stuff with driver updates.

Well DICE has one of the most complex engines and to keep it to your opinion of making it a driver related bug would be beneficial to whom exactly?
The issue seems to reside within code specific to their Mantle rendering path, as the leak does not appear to affect the game while running within the D3D code path. If Mantle is as easy to implement as proponents suggest (I've heard "orders of magnitude" easier than high-level graphics APIs like OpenGL), why is DICE — creators of "one of the most complex engines" in the industry, and an obviously technically competent group of developers — unable to resolve the issue?

AMD driver team is not made to backtrack bugs and with Mantle it is simple DICE has to do it.
It appears not to be that simple, as there has been an acknowledgement, but no resolution.

Sounds like something [H]ard could easily take a look at. Given that there seem to be multiple corroborating reports it seems like something worth getting some hard data on.

The issue seems to reside within code specific to their Mantle rendering path, as the leak does not appear to affect the game while running within the D3D code path. If Mantle is as easy to implement as proponents suggest (I've heard "orders of magnitude" easier than high-level graphics APIs like OpenGL), why is DICE — creators of "one of the most complex engines" in the industry, and an obviously technically competent group of developers — unable to resolve the issue?

It appears not to be that simple, as there has been an acknowledgement, but no resolution.

Well actually it still resides in one resource file that seems to trigger it faster. The issue does not resonate in other titles using the same Frostbite engine Mantle renderer.

If bug fixing was easy we wouldn't have this discussion

It's not fraudulent, it's probably just issues introduced by the brand-new Mantle path combined with DICE being responsible for one of the buggiest game engines on the planet.

Nvidia had a similar problem when they released the brand new architecture in Fermi - the cards stuttered under BF:BC2, and it took several months until they found a solution:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...x-480-drivers-incredible-stuttering-on-bfbc2/

Is it AMD, or is it DICE? God knows, but this is exactly why I don't want special card-specific rendering paths in games: most engines are already buggy-as-hell, and adding an additional path just adds more complexity, which causes more bugs.

Really, who do you trust to handle correct rendering path optimization? Some bottom-barrel intern at DICE being tossed the maintenance for an older release, or The company that designs and builds the cards optimizing their drivers for the standard-compliant DX11 path? I know which one I would pick.

When I had the R290 the fps would drop in 60's in Shanghai on ultra and played very sluggish and with a lot of stuttering.

And now with the gtx 980 its a whole different ballgame, I can play on ultra with 2xAA at constant 100+fps and its super smooth.

there is no doubt that bf4 is broken with R200 series, I say this because the game plays fine on 7000 series.

Gotta love the AMD fanboys...

Mantle is released, and they think it's the second coming of Christ and how it will be the end of DX and NVidia will have to play ball

MS announced DX12 and they claim it's Mantle

Now suddenly, DICE, EA, MS and NVidia have all colluded to cripple AMD cards for a game that's been out for a year now and is actually an AMD launch partner.

It's never AMD's fault is it guys?

That's why I told you before that other Mantle engines and the other Frostbite 3 game Plant vs Zombies does not have that problem.

Maybe you can try again and make up some other stuff that is happening according to you, make sure that in your reply you state that they did not fix the bug and try and think of another version of saying the same thing without proving your point as you are so versatile in the matter of saying nothing.

Well DICE is responsible that is how it is your argument is circular and it does not change the problem either way.

Gotta love the AMD fanboys...

Mantle is released, and they think it's the second coming of Christ and how it will be the end of DX and NVidia will have to play ball

MS announced DX12 and they claim it's Mantle

Now suddenly, DICE, EA, MS and NVidia have all colluded to cripple AMD cards for a game that's been out for a year now and is actually an AMD launch partner.

It's never AMD's fault is it guys?

What do bugs in the game battlefield 4 have to do with AMD fanboys?

No one here claimed anything about Mantle except it allowing games to become GPU bound again instead of bogged down by the cpu or the DX API.

You forget that the OP made one comparison on just one map. What he says about that map maybe valid but does not cover the entire game.

If it was AMD fault then there would be a problem with the low level driver and popup in all games not just one. (yes in Oxide engine as well). And this is not the case

What do bugs in the game battlefield 4 have to do with AMD fanboys?

Bugs in the game and/or drivers has nothing to do with AMD fanboys. I think you missed the point. It's when those bugs get purported as "fraudulent activity" that's the ridiculousness shines through.

Back