Fractal Torrent

chimim0ry0

Weaksauce
Man, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Silverstone to release or even just announce a ft-02 successor and meanwhile fractal just showed off their new Torrent case. I've been putting off a new case waiting on Silverstone and this Torrent is really tempting. Silverstone better hurry up. This is actually the first case I can even consider buying. And I'm so very surprised because I find fractal case completely bland or completely hideous. They actually made an appealing case!

All I can say is i am glad they still making the R5's, all these new cases with no or cheap hdd bays are horrid for me. :(

I like to stack drives in my system with easy access as well, not hiding behind motherboard and other tight spots.

All I can say is i am glad they still making the R5's, all these new cases with no or cheap hdd bays are horrid for me. :(

I like to stack drives in my system with easy access as well, not hiding behind motherboard and other tight spots.
Unrelated to the Torrent, I'm super happy with my Define 7 XL and how it handles hard drives. The massive case can probably hold 20. (I have 8)

I like the Torrent, but man that is a lot of plastic for the price they are asking.

Not sure if I should return my Define 7 and get this or just keep it. Worse airflow or course, but the thing is built like a tank. Hmmm...

I like the Torrent, but man that is a lot of plastic for the price they are asking.

Not sure if I should return my Define 7 and get this or just keep it. Worse airflow or course, but the thing is built like a tank. Hmmm...
I feel like the Define 7 is for a different kind of situation than the torrent. I like the adaptability and all the hard drive cages, but if you aren't using them then i'd definitely consider switching out if you think its worth it.

I have a huge dilemma; SIlverstone just announced their new 184i, 180mm fans that I was going to buy 3 of to replace the orignial 181s in my ft-02. But, now I'm seriously contemplating buying this torrent. If I do that, I'm going to wasting my money on those 184is... decisions decisions...

Fans are for sale in a two-pack on Newegg. Pricy fans, but it is 2x 180x38mm ARGB fans.
Tempted to see what I can do with them in my Define 7, I know I can't mount them to the front but I have other... ideas...
https://www.newegg.com/fractal-desi...6835352092?item=N82E16835352092&source=region

Edit: Non-RGB
https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-dyn-x2-gp18-pwm-bk-case-fan/p/N82E16835352093

And single fans:
https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-fd-fan-pri-al18-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835352091

Also available.

Really considering this case to replace my aging Lian-Li (solid front panel isn't great for a 3080 and 9700k). I honestly wish it was either cheaper or more expensive. As-is, it's pricey, but has some obvious cost cutting (sleeve bearing fans and plastic panels). Add $100 to the price and make it a truly high end case with all metal panels, or cut it by $50-$100 and drop the bundled fans, either would be great.

I wish I could see it in person to make a final decision…..it’s either this, or a Phanteks P600s for me. The HDD hard drive cage missing is a bummer, but manageable. Who knows, it had the extra space inside, so maybe an accessory to hang a cage inside later on?

I bought one of these a few weeks ago. It didn't take long to get a replacement fan hub from Fractal. It's easily one of the best cases I've ever bought. Some of the lowest temps I've seen on air (CPU and GPU). I used to own a FT02 and FT05.

Some of my nitpicks:
  • Tempered glass is on both sides. Why would I want to see the back side?
  • The three 140mm fans on the bottom have some obvious motor noise that annoys me. The 180mm fans do not exhibit this. I'm replacing the bottom fans.
  • It's a meshy case, so coil whine is more audible.

Have one of these on order myself, so I'm excited to see what the hype is about. Not sure if I'm going with my AIO or going back to air cooling with this case, but all signs are pointing to that this case is better with air cooling.

Have one of these on order myself, so I'm excited to see what the hype is about. Not sure if I'm going with my AIO or going back to air cooling with this case, but all signs are pointing to that this case is better with air cooling.
I had an Arctic Freezer 280mm in my last case and switched to the Noctua NH-D15 for the Torrent. No regrets.

I had an Arctic Freezer 280mm in my last case and switched to the Noctua NH-D15 for the Torrent. No regrets.
Thank you. I actually have a NH-D15S here or an Aorus ATC 800 I'm going to use in this case. That may change if I decide to go 12th gen, but not sure on that either at the moment.

Got the Torrent the other day and just finished building in it today. My thoughts are that it is indeed a great airflow case (went back to air cooling because of this case) , but the cable management on the RGB version needs work. Not really enough area behind the back panel to distribute wires, but I managed alright. Other than that it is a great case and the fans move a ton of air.
11-5-21.jpg

You can also set up 4x 180mm fans. It got rid of some annoying motor noise that was bothering me from the 140mm fans at lower RPMs. YMMV. Fitting those 180mm fans on the bottom is tight, however. I almost wasn't able to do it. Now all I hear is a gentle whoosh noise as the fans spin up. Very quiet for its cooling performance.

You can also set up 4x 180mm fans. It got rid of some annoying motor noise that was bothering me from the 140mm fans at lower RPMs. YMMV. Fitting those 180mm fans on the bottom is tight, however. I almost wasn't able to do it. Now all I hear is a gentle whoosh noise as the fans spin up. Very quiet for its cooling performance.
I have heard some people having issues with fan noise. I am happy that I have no fan noise with the installed fans and even added a rear 140mm Fractal fan with the only issue there being it has it "flash" quirks from time to time.

How is the RGB quality/look in person? Still deciding on the black/grey with rgb vs non rgb. Def the case I’m getting though with a NHD-15 Chromax.

Nice looking beasty!

How is the RGB quality/look in person? Still deciding on the black/grey with rgb vs non rgb. Def the case I’m getting though with a NHD-15 Chromax.

Nice looking beasty!
The RGB is very nice and I'm coming from the Lian Li SL fans for comparison.

I'm proud owner of an Torrent.

Equipped with

Dual E5 2680v4 (total 28 Cores / 56 Threads)
Dual Aerocool Mirage 5
Huananzhi X99 F8D
128GB DDR4 Ecc
Gigabyte GTX970 Xtreme
BeQuiet Dark Power 12 1000
Seagate FireCuda 1TB
Some crappy 256gb ssd
1tb hdd

Added an exhaust fan extra, razer argb controller (as the Mainboard does not have any argb stuff).

Noise Levels are super low, but not total silent. Love cable management options. Super high airflow. Perfect case for high end workstations and gaming rigs.
IMG_20220113_091620.jpg

IMG_20220115_183809.jpg

IMG_20220115_185439.jpg

Damn this looks great. I can't wait to get mine. Looks like a breeze to build in with the PSU being top mounted.

PSU change in less than 20 minutes.

With the top panel installed, psu becomes invisible.

IMG_20220116_161507.jpg

Reactions: cvinh
like this
Whach where did you get those LED trim lights?
t’s a couple of the Phanteks NEON digital rgb strips chained together. Really bendy and diffused. I find them more consistent and subtle than the standard led strips. I especially like the neon vibes it can do =)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I plan on using the NH-DH15s. With the 2 x 180mm front intakes, would a rear exhaust fan make a difference at all?

I plan on using the NH-DH15s. With the 2 x 180mm front intakes, would a rear exhaust fan make a difference at all?
Tbh I don’t think it would make that much of a difference as the case airflow would just push it out anyway. I just put my fan in because it was just sitting there. Might as well.

The Nhd 15 fan would push it out regardless as the rear case perforations are massive.

Tbh I don’t think it would make that much of a difference as the case airflow would just push it out anyway. I just put my fan in because it was just sitting there. Might as well.

The Nhd 15 fan would push it out regardless as the rear case perforations are massive.
Yea I read on another forum, that a user could feel the air flow with his hand from the base of the case without a rear exhaust so the front 2 180s must be moving a crazy amount of air already. I just didn't want to add another source of power/noise unless it made a significant difference on temps.

Yea I read on another forum, that a user could feel the air flow with his hand from the base of the case without a rear exhaust so the front 2 180s must be moving a crazy amount of air already. I just didn't want to add another source of power/noise unless it made a significant difference on temps.
if you have a fan, try it. youll know the difference in 20min or less.

Reactions: Whach
like this
if you have a fan, try it. youll know the difference in 20min or less.
I don't have an extra one but I suppose I could move one of the bottom 3 to the rear once I get my case and see. This way I still only have 6 fans total in my case. (excluding any PSU fans)

I don't have an extra one but I suppose I could move one of the bottom 3 to the rear once I get my case and see. This way I still only have 6 fans total in my case. (excluding any PSU fans)
Naa, I’d leave the rest of the fans alone. Really good airflow at stock setup. Not worth moving one fan for the sake of an exhaust. Get an extra fan later. Don’t stress over it :)

Back