Fractal Design - DEFINE Mini

Konias

Limp Gawd
New Micro ATX case from Fractal Design looks pretty well. Have fun :D.

FD-CA-DEF-MINI-BL-1_low.jpg

FD-CA-DEF-MINI-BL-3X_low_bred.jpg

FD-CA-DEF-MINI-BL-4X_low_bred.jpg

FD-CA-DEF-MINI-BL-6_fix.jpg

FD-CA-DEF-MINI-BL-2X_low_bred.jpg

Guess it depends on your difinition of Mini. Appears to be about same size as the A04
Define Mini (WxHxD): 210x395x490mm
Lian LiA04 (W) 188mm x (H) 386mm x (D) 460mm
Hmm, a little bigger than the A04
But for the other Fractal cases in that line, its small.

it's just for USB brackets or Firewire brackets, just the bracket not an actual slot.

You could put a single slot card there with a riser tho :p

Another comparable case would be the Antec P180 Mini which measures in at (W) 211mm x (H) 434mm x (D) 437mm.

it's just for USB brackets or Firewire brackets, just the bracket not an actual slot.

You could put a single slot card there with a riser tho :p

according to their site its another PCI slot. But I agree, without a riser it would be best for USB or Firewire ports

It is a clean design, but a shity one at that.. No room for a big video card without removing both sets of 3.5" drive bays from the looks of it..

And I would appreciate having that other pci slot off the side like that. That way if your using all 4 regular slots you can still add the onboard headers (dual video cards anyone)

Not sure how easy it would be to work in, but I like the looks a lot, and I could see me using up my old C2D parts in a case like that for maybe a small server or Hackintosh box.

Price would be the stickler though, and I'm gonna guess it won't be cheap.

It is a clean design, but a shity one at that.. No room for a big video card without removing both sets of 3.5" drive bays from the looks of it..

And I would appreciate having that other pci slot off the side like that. That way if your using all 4 regular slots you can still add the onboard headers (dual video cards anyone)
most mATX boards are 9.6 inch x 9.6 inch and it looks like the case has a good inch and a half (or more) till it hits the drive cage. I doubt that you'd be needing more than 11 inches.

Not sure how easy it would be to work in, but I like the looks a lot, and I could see me using up my old C2D parts in a case like that for maybe a small server or Hackintosh box.

Price would be the stickler though, and I'm gonna guess it won't be cheap.

IIRC around $89 USD.

most mATX boards are 9.6 inch x 9.6 inch and it looks like the case has a good inch and a half (or more) till it hits the drive cage. I doubt that you'd be needing more than 11 inches.

13 would be nice.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

We're still talking about graphics cards, right?

Well, if we are.....

■Supports graphic cards with lengths up to ca 260mm when removable HDD-bay is in place
■Supports graphic cards with lengths up to ca 400mm when HDD-bay is removed

So around 10 inches with the bay in place and 15 or so inches when the bay is removed?

Easy enough to mount HD's in the 5.25" bays or drop an SSD into the bottom somewhere I bet. Though yanking both HD bays does defeat the purpose of getting this case a little.

Guess it comes down to what you want in the case more.

Sure hope some decent US retailer picks these up to stock ASAP.

My video review of the define R2, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6U0w2eWos

Fractal's initial focus was making cases for "Silent PC" consumers, but discovered their simple exteriors appealed to a much broader range of users. The comparison to Antec's P series isn't a bad thing, but "P" is showing it's age. The last revision Antec made, was this strange cover on the access panel, so "P" could accommodate taller and modern CPU coolers. This is an example of "Lazy" manufacturing and a reminder that Antec wants to focus more on cases aimed at Gamers, not Silence. Compared to Antec, Fractal's cases have more space for HDs, more fan options, better cable routing holes with grommets and a filtered intake for bottom mounted PSU..

fyi: Fractal Design will be CES this weekend, at the Venetian Hotel and they will have US Retailers very soon!

Its the placements of the bays I was talking about. It looks like you have to remove both. Not just one like in other cases.

Its the placements of the bays I was talking about. It looks like you have to remove both. Not just one like in other cases.

Looks like they are aware of possible SLI/CF concerns per this note in another forum thread.

http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/902190-fractal-designs-define-mini-2.html#post11872862

Hi,

The ATX specified on the web is an error and will be fixed ASAP. And you are correct about the number of cards. We are still working on some minor changes that will make the chassis use SLI/XFIRE setups, but as of today we have no solution ready for launch.
US Launch should be really soon. We are leaving for CES tomorrow and are meeting some prospects and hopefully we will have retailers ready this quarter we hope

Best Regards
Fractal Design

So it would appear they plan to have some "after sale" addon perhaps that will allow SLI/CF and keep some sort of drive bay in? Just a guess.

Looks like they are aware of possible SLI/CF concerns per this note in another forum thread.

http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/902190-fractal-designs-define-mini-2.html#post11872862

So it would appear they plan to have some "after sale" addon perhaps that will allow SLI/CF and keep some sort of drive bay in? Just a guess.

Essentially all it would take is to change the number of bays in each half.. Had the top with 4 & the bottom with 2.. That way you could pull the top & have enough room for a pair of long video cards.. As it is with the drive bays installed best card possible is basically a 6850 or a 460 (q11 is also limited to 260mm so I am pretty familiar with the size).. But yeah they change those cages to allow for 2 full length cards then I would say its a pretty impressive case. As it stands though to me for an enthusiast grade case I would call it a near fatal error as it would effectively limit you to the same video processing power as alot of mITX cases can now do.. To me the whole advantage for mITX is SLI/CFX over mITX.. So yea.. jsut my .02 anyway

Damn! I want one now, especially if it's under $100. :)

My thoughts exactly, esp if they mod the drive bays. I've got an old C2D E6850 here that I'd love to find a use for in a small case like that. Now I'd just have to find a mATX board worth a shit to put it on.

Almost worth buying just to sit in the room and look nice. (Almost). :p

If it's under a hundred and I need a silent regular pc with crossfire, this would be on top of my list. But I don't need crossfire, so this is not.

Props for the appropriate name. As soon as I saw it, "define mini" was the first thought that came to my mind.

I hope they are already working on R4 with removable hdd cages and normal atx sized case

Fractal design and new cases. On Ces Fractal showed a new cases frm lines DEFINE, ARC and CORE.

Fractal DEFINE MINI:
fractal_design_007.jpg

Fractal ARC Mini:
fractal_design_008.jpg

Fractal CORE 1000:
fractal_design_002.jpg

awesome pics...

Define and Arc minis look like the same case, just different outside panels. One for noise cancellation, one for cooling.
Not too fond of Core one, but it looks to be an entry model though.

Fractal design and new cases. On Ces Fractal showed a new cases frm lines DEFINE, ARC and CORE.

Fractal DEFINE MINI:
fractal_design_007.jpg

Fractal ARC Mini:
fractal_design_008.jpg

Fractal CORE 1000:
fractal_design_002.jpg

Yeesh, that mesh looks hideous. The Define Mini is looking pretty damn good though. Thanks for the pics!

Yup I'm still thinking one of those Define Mini's is gonna be mine, loaded with a nice SB setup.

Wish they'd show up in stock somewhere.......

Hey I like the ARC mini, I'm not a big fan of front panel doors so I might keep this in mind. I hope they will be available in the states.

I really like Fractal's design - clean and simple. Got my eyes on the ARC mini for sure.

meh.. The only fractal case I have been impressed with yet is the r2 mini.. The rest of these dont seem to be anything special.

Back