FPS Gaming Mice recommendations?

Logitech G500's here, both my wife and mine. We had been doing wireless for a long time, really enjoyed our MX Revolution, however it's almost impossible to beat a solid corded mouse. Though the wireless stuff worked fine, there was always that little delay.
 
Yeah, stick to optical. The pro CS players tend to stick steadfastly to them for a reason.

The Deathadder, CM Storm Spawn (NOT the recon, it has issues), newest revision of the G400, etc. All great FPS mice.

i have tried spawn / g400 / DA 3.5 black edition / recon / ec2 evo / AM , a friend of mine plays blops 2 on medium-high level (greek esl fail championships, ridden with hackers and poor organisation ) here's his first fragmovie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSeZ5px-f8

he was using the regular DA 3.5G on a puretrak talent for a very long time, until the wheel started to go bad and bought a savu, he never looked back :)

Recon has no issues at all, it's my favorite one tracking and shape wise, there's only a small problem with the polling rate, but you can fix it simply by turning off all the LEDs :)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1203798/cm-storm-recon/310
 
I've been using the same logitech MX1000 mouse for almost 7 years now and I think it's about time I moved on. I'm trying to play on a competitive level, but my mouse occasionally just does some very strange things. It also moves very jittery when on a standard mousepad so I'm sure that's messing up my aim quite a bit. But I have no idea what I should look for. I'm right handed, and I don't need a huge amount of buttons, just maybe 3 or 4 at most besides the LMB and RMB.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

i was in the same boat a few months ago. i had the same mouse as you (MX1000) and the exact same thing happened when mine started to fail (jittery cursor like there was a hair or dirt on laser sensor). i loved the mouse so much i pulled it apart to clean everything + sensor lens but it was too far gone.

for a few weeks i was using a old lenvo 3 button optical mouse which surprising was ok for online FPS gaming (ghost recon online) tho the sensitivity was a bit low. finally decided it was time to get a proper gaming mouse.
i figured it would be an easy process to just pickup a new mouse so i purchased a G700 as i've almost exclusively used logitech mice in the past. i soon learnt that the G700 was completely unsuitable for my gaming needs. the G700 is a mouse for 'palm-grips', i 'claw-grip' my mice.

i really wanted to like the G700, plenty of buttons (4 for thumb, 2 on top to set DPI) + i really liked how the scroll wheel could be set to 'notch' or 'free spinning'. other than being a mouse unsuitable for 'claw-grip' the USB charger cable was too stiff to have plugged in while gaming. with mouse set to high sensitivity, the cable had too much resistance which can hamper movement in FPS games. nice feature being able to charge mouse while still in use, just a shitty cable.
the other downside after using a simple and light optical lenvo mouse, the g700 just felt too heavy.

after my G700 mistake, i started to look at the most expensive 'claw-grip' mice at my local PC shops. the most promising were Razer & R.A.T. 9 mice. i ignored all the Razer stuff mainly b/c of the complaints of poor build quailty. the R.A.T. 9 looked promising b/c you could greatly customise how the mouse is held. after looking at a few, i figured it just looked too uncomfortable to use not to mention ugly as hell.

only really left one mouse in my opinion, the SteelSeries Sensi Pro. i've been using the Sensi ever since, fantastic mouse imho. its a bit on the expensive side for a fairly basic mouse (8 buttons) but it does have the nice feature of storing your profiles in the mouse itself (no need to setup if connected to a different PC). the LCD on the bottom is a bit gimmicky however. its not perfect, for example i wish the 'forward & back' buttons were further back and the scroll/middle button doesnt have a 'left & right' scroll function like most logitech mice do. also really miss the cruise button of my MX1000 (2 buttons in front & behind scroll wheel).

i always thought my old MX1000 was fine for gaming (when it worked properly) but the new laser/optical sensors just blow it away when it comes to gaming.

i cant recommend the Sensi enough, i recon if it had a 'left & right' scroll on the middle mouse wheel, the Sensi would almost be perfect. course the other downside is that its tethered but the quality braided cord is such u don't really notice it.
 
It has zero lag, you're doing it wrong.

Nope it does. You may not play the types of game that tend to show this or you may not have the dexterity to tell but it does. It's fine for MMO's or single player games, but for games like Quake Live it's much more noticeable and obnoxious.
 
Nope it does. You may not play the types of game that tend to show this or you may not have the dexterity to tell but it does. It's fine for MMO's or single player games, but for games like Quake Live it's much more noticeable and obnoxious.

OMG stop. There is no lag on the g700. It polls as fast as many gaming wired mice. Wireless mouse tech has come a long way since 2003. Get over it.:eek:
 
Nope it does. You may not play the types of game that tend to show this or you may not have the dexterity to tell but it does. It's fine for MMO's or single player games, but for games like Quake Live it's much more noticeable and obnoxious.

I had a G700 and it was great until the sensor starting getting glitchy (probably needed cleaning or something). In any event there certainly wasn't any lag.

If you have a crappy wireless connection between the mouse and the base station then I can see how you'd think there was lag due to resending of mouse data. Bad connections can be caused by something as simple as running after-market firmware on your wireless router and increasing the signal strength (for example).
 
Nope it does. You may not play the types of game that tend to show this or you may not have the dexterity to tell but it does. It's fine for MMO's or single player games, but for games like Quake Live it's much more noticeable and obnoxious.

You're 100% wrong.

I've met many people like you at LANs who are convinced all wireless lags until they come over to my PC after I've been dominating them for the past hour in instagib.
I see the face they make when they see I'm using a wireless mouse and say "OMG HOW YOU PLAY WITH LAG?", then they try it out and realize there is absolutely zero lag and you don't have to deal with any inconsistent cord resistance. They often end up buying one.
 
I ended up just getting a temporary cheap wireless mouse since I couldn't decide but its so bad that two of the side buttons sometimes work 2 seconds after I press them, and it randomly stops moving.

So what would people suggest now, that its over half a year later?
 
Sensei. Replaced my Ikari Optical with it, love it. Still use my Ikari at work, it is a very comfortable mouse if you have big hands.
 
Mice are very much personal preference but I would go with the Logitech G500 if I were upgrading my G5 but my buddy loves his Steelseries Rival.
 
Mice are very much personal preference but I would go with the Logitech G500 if I were upgrading my G5 but my buddy loves his Steelseries Rival.
Yeah, they definitely are.

I made the switch from a Deathadder Black Edition to the Rival. Overall, the Rival feels much better in my hand and its just as accurate as anything else I've used previously. It did take some getting used to as I have been using a DA for a long while.
 
Back
Top