Foxconn Is Looking To Set Up Factories In The US

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this story is true, you have to wonder what could Foxconn gain from opening a plant in the U.S. unless its a PR move?

Foxconn is notorious for manufacturing iPads and iPhones in bad working conditions. It has been the target of numerous investigative reports from the Wired, The New York Times, PRI, and ABC, to name a few. It has also been a PR-issue for Apple, which has to defend its decision to manufacture products in China, as well as the bad working conditions for people making iPhones and iPads.

Who cares why they do it. I hope they do. More jobs for us.

Why not? We have the infrastructure and training already, and still the #2 biggest manufacturing export country in the world. Why does everyone act like the US doesn't manufacture anything? China barely has us beat when it comes to manufactured goods volume.

Because 20 years ago china was low on the totem pole... 10 years ago they were barely above japan... now they are the top and still growing.

As for why everyone acts like the US doesn't manufacture anything it's because you never see it so people don't believe it... anytime you look for the made in x label it almost never says USA anymore.

...when it comes to manufactured goods volume.

Because we play it really loud!

But yeah, I'm okay with Foxconn making stuff here. If we buy a lot of what is produced, then it'll save on overseas shipping too.

Why not build it here. We have the world's largest prison population.

What? Isn't Foxconn a prison?

We have the world's largest prison population.

I read that the other day and was like, "OMG go America!" It's awesome to see how effective we are at catching criminals and putting them in a place where they can't further harm society while they're offered stuff to help them get back on the right path. I don't think a lot of countries are as good at catching criminals or bother to try to treat the conditions that caused the crime in the first place.

I read that the other day and was like, "OMG go America!" It's awesome to see how effective we are at catching criminals and putting them in a place where they can't further harm society while they're offered stuff to help them get back on the right path. I don't think a lot of countries are as good at catching criminals or bother to try to treat the conditions that caused the crime in the first place.

A lot of other countries just have a lower crime rate.

Yes, I'm very ashamed of Australia, the USA is more than 5 times better at catching criminals and putting them away. :(

We actually have more laws. When we need more criminals, we simply create more laws. Private prisons is publicly traded and is only going up. In AZ we actually cut education funding and increased private prison funding in the same sentence.

The USA is more than happy to turn human lives into a cash cow. Ironic, I work for the US gov't courts.

Yes, I'm very ashamed of Australia, the USA is more than 5 times better at catching criminals and putting them away. :(

The entire continent of Australia is a penal colony. Why bother catching them in the first place? ;)

I'm all for it. I'd rather buy a Made in USA product than any other if I have a choice. Not only is it more jobs, but it's good for the communities in the area (taxes, other benefits).

I don't think people will get the wages they expect (probably go union to get more), though. Plus, there are a lot of spoiled fuckers out there - "I won't work unless I get $25.00 an hour!". Fine. Mexican? You want a job? $12.50 an hour? Done.

We actually have more laws. When we need more criminals, we simply create more laws. Private prisons is publicly traded and is only going up. In AZ we actually cut education funding and increased private prison funding in the same sentence.

Not only that, but some of the punishments are increased for more prison sentences.

Only in the US can you get 70 years prison time for pirating movies and 7 years for killing a guy or two.

The entire continent of Australia is a penal colony. Why bother catching them in the first place? ;)

I probably should have seen that one coming :D

Imagine how bad the people are who we actually put away if the entire country is a penal colony :eek:

Read the article...
"DigiTimes says its unlikely the U.S. plants would be making iPhones because they are too labor intensive. Instead, they could be making LCD TVs which are more automated."

Probably a few decent paying jobs to be had keeping the robots running, but not a lot of low skill jobs. They'll keep those in low labor cost countries.

I'm all for it. I'd rather buy a Made in USA product than any other if I have a choice. Not only is it more jobs, but it's good for the communities in the area (taxes, other benefits).

I don't think people will get the wages they expect (probably go union to get more), though. Plus, there are a lot of spoiled fuckers out there - "I won't work unless I get $25.00 an hour!". Fine. Mexican? You want a job? $12.50 an hour? Done.

Assembly and manufacturing work for electronics in the US isn't paid $25 an hour. At least nowhere I know of. Depending on the state, it's usually $12 to $15 to start. Less in poor areas.

That would definitely be something great to see.

When I have the choice I usually buy stuff made in Canada, USA, any other country, then China being last resort. Could definitely be good for the US economy to get a major manufacturer like Foxconn. They not only make Apple stuff, but they make pretty much every computer related component you can think of. Even an Asus motherboard for example, probably has lot of components/chips made by Foxconn. They are huge.

Interesting.

If they did open a plant, if in the north east US the workers would immediately unionize and demand $30 an hour.

They would have much better luck opening a plant in the southern states where they usually reject bids to unionize.

I prefer that it be an American company looking to do this stateside, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

So long as FoxConn has a better safety record here than in China. Lots of safety crap they get away with in the Orient wouldn't be tolerated here. People don't like factories exploding next door due to poor ventilation of aluminum dust from polishing iPhone backs.

Interesting.

If they did open a plant, if in the north east US the workers would immediately unionize and demand $30 an hour.

They would have much better luck opening a plant in the southern states where they usually reject bids to unionize.

Any right-to-work state would be ideal.

For companies like Apple, to maintain the profit margin that they want, there is a very limited selection of products Foxconn could produce in US factories.

Apple makes Billions selling here, yet they won't create jobs here to support the people who buy their products. I'm not going to give Apple any credit to do the right thing if this is true, as they have had decades to do it and haven't.

Some of them kill you for the color of your skin, or your religion, or your sexual preference. What's your point?

Lighten up. It was humor.

Well, maybe not so funny for the dead pot smokers.

LOL

We imprison people for weed.

Enough said.

LOL

We imprison people for weed.

Enough said.

Not for much longer, if other states follow Colorado and Washington. If 2/3 of the country legalizes it for recreational use, the Feds are going to face a very challenging situation.

uh is this a troll?

It [investigations into work conditions at Foxconn] should be more than just a "PR Headache" for Apple. It should have hurt them at least enough to cut their stock value in half.

Not a big surprise that you get that [booming prison population] when you privatize prisons and let them be run by a "for profit" business.

LOL

We imprison people for weed*.

Enough said.

*That is sheer stupidity - the poster child of idiotic decisions for all that is wrong with the Republican party of today. We need somebody like Abraham Lincoln or Dwight Eisenhower (two truly great Republicans) to come along and kick some sense into "both" parties (I don't really consider them to be significantly different these days).

The real reason we have the largest amount of people in prison is capitalism has found a way to subsidize it into huge monetary business.

Back