Foxconn 6100/6150K8MA-8KRS Overclocking stories??

sleepeeg3 said:
Why in heck would you run without a heatsink?

Winflash.

sleepeeg3, i'm guessing you have both the biostar Tforce6100-939 and the foxconn 6150 mobos. which would you prefer?

i wanna go SFF but still thinking of either keeping my current cpu or upgrade to a X2/opteron.

I like the Biostar, because it gives you a bit more headroom, 3 fan headers, 3.3v VDIMM jumper and the Foxconn bios was just irritating.

The Foxconn is good for 275fsb, has 3 PCI slots and does not have the cold boot problem at higher fsb like some Biostar's do, though. So for a X2, you would be running almost at your max speed.

Is that regular OCZ 4000 El Gold or is it VX? It would still probably benefit from 3.3v of power. Either way, with your current gear the Biostar would probably work better for you. Your current setup would be perfect to drop into an X-Qpack & Biostar, though you might want to doublecheck the clearance of the NeoPower.

my ram is just regular EL not VX. i am only bringing over my cpu, ram, hdd. optical drive, sound card and maybe vid card. everything else is going to my girlfriend for her computer (good excuse to get new hardware :D ) i have a spare 3000+ venice E6 chip laying around so that will suit her needs nicely. i think i'm just gonna keep my chip a little longer, then. thanks for helping me make my decision. looks like biostar here i come!

The neopower PSU should fit as long as your optical drive is no longer then about 180 mm

hi all, opteron 165 with 2 gigs pc4000 here on this mobo.

Processor has ltosa room, but im brick walled at 275. Im happy with the 2500mhz though, it's been stable and great, but anything higher, and she wont boot!

Good mobo though, im not disappointed, I would like to see this cpu's limit though!!!!

gemini8026 said:
hi all, opteron 165 with 2 gigs pc4000 here on this mobo.

Processor has ltosa room, but im brick walled at 275. Im happy with the 2500mhz though, it's been stable and great, but anything higher, and she wont boot!

Good mobo though, im not disappointed, I would like to see this cpu's limit though!!!!
275 would be the motherboard limiting you, not cpu.

uhmm yah, I was posting saying I would like to know the CPU's limit without having the 275 limit of the mobo.

gemini8026 said:
uhmm yah, I was posting saying I would like to know the CPU's limit without having the 275 limit of the mobo.

wait for the next bios update if you want the limit of the cpu. In the meantime though, you can lower the cpu voltage until 275 is the limit, should make for a cool and quiet setup. pun INTENDED.

-dan

gemini8026 said:
well that wouldn't be possible without either a) having another mobo that can hit higher fsb, or b) figure out how to "break" the cpu so that it unlocks the upwards multipliers like FX cpu's. if you can figure b) out, you'll be a god :p

I am about to buy this board after damaging my tforce 6100 this weekend.
Was wondering, since the 6150 is dual header, how does the foxconn do this?
I don't see a s-video connector, am I just overlooking it?

I don't like their funky heatsink locks. From the images I take it there are no standard
push-pin holes to replace it with a copper heatsink/fan? You'd have to bolt a fan on top?

I think the only downside on the foxconn over the biostar is no 1T support on ram
since they keep the onboard video active at all times. When I went to pcie video
on the biostar, the 1T was a nice boost to the ram.

Don't be jealous of the two extra fan connectors on the biostar, they have no speed reporting or control through the motherboard via any program including speedfan's best attempts at it.

The dual voltage control on the vcore looks interesting. The voltage boost setting looks
like it is designed to support cool'n'quiet since the base setting can be left at default?

Thanks for any feedback...

vibe said:
I am about to buy this board after damaging my tforce 6100 this weekend.
Was wondering, since the 6150 is dual header, how does the foxconn do this?
I don't see a s-video connector, am I just overlooking it?

There's a header bracket that comes with the foxconn board that has s-video in the middle of the bracket.

vibe said:
I don't like their funky heatsink locks. From the images I take it there are no standard
push-pin holes to replace it with a copper heatsink/fan? You'd have to bolt a fan on top?

I see no logical reason to tinker with the NB and SB heatsinks.

vibe said:
I think the only downside on the foxconn over the biostar is no 1T support on ram
since they keep the onboard video active at all times. When I went to pcie video
on the biostar, the 1T was a nice boost to the ram.

There is 1T support, and I'm using it right now.

vibe said:
The dual voltage control on the vcore looks interesting. The voltage boost setting looks
like it is designed to support cool'n'quiet since the base setting can be left at default?

My foxconn actually overvolts by 0.05 if you leave the base setting at default, but the foxconn voltage control is kinda screwy on my board where it won't go any higher than 1.4 volts, regardless of how I set it. However, the extra vcore boost does work well if I'm going over 1.4 volts, so basically I can set anywhere from 1 volt to 1.54, but no higher.

-dan

Well decision made. Come wednesday (hopefully) I will join the foxconn club.
I'll be able to give it a really good comparison to the tforce.

Here's hoping it can run my x2 @ 2700 just as well as the tforce.

(Of couse now that I bought it, this means biostar will come out with
a tforce 6150 for the same price as the foxconn)

I have this mobo and I'm having problems. When I overclock the cpu through the bios, it will go into windows with no problem . I'll prime test it for a while,play games for hours, run 3dmark all with no problems. But if I shut it down and try restarted the pc, it won't post. I have to reset the cmos. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced

Darn it to heck. Just when I needed them most ZipZoomFly lets me down.
24 hours later and the motherboard order is still pending.
First time they have delayed on me. Since it is OOS at newegg I suspect ZZF is OOS too and just has bad inventory count.

So who is left that has reasonable overnight shipping?
Sadly Fry's doesnt carry any 6100/6150 mobos...

added: I just spoke with newegg and although the foxconn was OOS this morning, they apparently just got fresh stock in right now - 25 in!

Looks like I am dropping a chunk on shipping...

what overclocking speeds am I looking at getting from Foxconn 6150+AMD Athlon 64 3200+......????

I really like the looks of this board, been thinking about it for a while. Newegg got the better of me so I'm moving from a full tower to SFF :D

qpack w/ enermax liberty 500w
Foxconn 6150/430
Opteron 170 w/ zalman 7700 cu
2x512 ocz el plat. rev. 2
7800gt

I'll definitely have a report on how well it performs!

Results not good!

So far I can only get about +5mhz on the FSB before it locks up. Very disappointing. I've updated to the latest bios, howerd the k8<->ht to 4x, raised my ram latencies, and pumped more volts into the cpu, but no dice.

Any ideas?

Try dropping it to 3x instead of 4x. What sort of lock is it? What type of memory? Try using a RAM dividier

I can boot at 205mhz, but not 210. It reboots shortly after POST. I tried setting it to 225mhz out of curiosity and it took a really long time to get to the winfast logo, at which point it said that it had loaded fail safe defaults. :(

Have you tried running a divider? Try lowering the CPU multi to 7 or so just to rule out any problems like that

I will give that a try tonight. The ram is OCZ plat. rev. 2 and it did 235 @ 2-3-3-5 on my DFI Ultra-D. I will play with these settings and see what happens.

Hmmm.

I tried again with 3x HT, 8x multiplier, and 225 fsb. No go. Divider did not help either. I wonder if this is just a bum board.

PS:

What is the proper orientation for the enermax liberty in the qpack? It seems like it fits best with the fan pointing towards the top of the case, but this would cut off all air flow.

If I leave everything default and just try to raise my ram timings I get the same error. This is very odd.

UPDATE:

I think there might be a problem with this motherboard. I am dual priming in windows and using the speed step utility to raise the cpu frequency 1mhz at a time. Prime never halts but as soon as I go from 212 to 213mhz I get a hard lock. No mouse, no beep, nothing. Have to hard reboot it. Do you guys have any ideas?

MikeyB said:
Hmmm.

I tried again with 3x HT, 8x multiplier, and 225 fsb. No go. Divider did not help either. I wonder if this is just a bum board.

PS:

What is the proper orientation for the enermax liberty in the qpack? It seems like it fits best with the fan pointing towards the top of the case, but this would cut off all air flow.
MicroATX boards, including the Foxy and Biostar, aren't very reliable OCers. Sure, they OC just fine...sometimes. :rolleyes: It's really random. Perhaps you got a dud?

Btw, I have my Liberty pointed towards the top of my case. It doesn't cut off all airflow, since the fan sucks air into the PSU and out the back (of the case). It doesn't try to blow air at the window, which would be suicide.

This has been a bad shipment from Newegg. My qpack has large dents where the two side thumbscrews go (the middle screw is missing), the back of the case is warped, and the shell does not meet flush with the front bezel. Now the Foxconn is acting weird, usb hub losing power at windows boot, lockups when I try to use a divider, etc. :(

I'm still interested in going SFF, but these parts have really put a damper on my enthusiasm. Maybe you could recommend a different (higer quality) case and mobo. I appreciate all the replies.

Get em replaced bud and see how you get on :) I wouldn't accept em like that and get some decent ones

I have replacement qpack and biostar tforce on the way. I guess that wraps up my Foxconn story.

Too bad about the Foxy. Hope Biostar does better for you! My QPack was also kinda wierd, but that hasn't stopped me. Good luck!

Ok, I dont get spead step on this thing.... It says it's letting me change the FSB, but every thing I look at that can see the CPU speed showes no change. It DOES crash when I turn it way up though....

Any tips on how to get it to actually work?

I just bought the 6150 today hoping to get better results than the Biostar. Sadly, it isn't the case.

I can POST and run Prime95/3Dmark etc at 225MHz FSB at stock voltage. 1MHz increase in FSb and the board won't post. After a while, it will POSt into safe mode. I tried voltage changes, multipler adjustments etc but nothing work. Quite sad to see its a bummer......

Foxy doesn't OC as much as the Biostar, but sometimes you can get one that will go up to 275mhz FSB. Biostars can sometimes get 300.

I sure hope that one guy isnt using the stock Qpack PSU for overclocking...

For any of u that remember my thread from before, the Qpack PSU fried my Foxxonn mobo, and it was STABLE at 275 on my opeteron 165, but ANYTHING higher would stop it!

I RMA'd them and went to a DFI lanparty in a reg sized antec case. No more SFF, but total stability and a great OC!

New BIOS on the foxconn site. Its dated 19/01/2006 and cured my OCing problems! Couldn't boot at anything above 220. Now @ 250 OCCTing

I tried the new bios and now I'm able to overclock beyond stock settings. Before any setting changes would immediately give me a black screen and no post.

Now my Opteron is stable at 275.

Its an Opteron 144@2470

Divider: 9
FSB: 275
Vcore: 1.4
Vcore adjustment: .020
Ram: 2.6 (crappy 2700 samsung)
Ram Divider: 133
Ram Timings: 2.5, 3, 3, 7, 1T
HTtoNBtoSB: 3

Back