Foxconn 6100/6150K8MA-8KRS Overclocking stories??

Reien

n00b
I managed to get 285 stable with my Opteron144. But above that Prime95 keeps giving me rounding error message.

Pre-bios update, the motherboard max is 275. Above that it won't post.

Anyone know what causes rounding error? I lowered memory clock & timing, upped vcore, and still no luck. Could it be the PSU?

Errors in Prime could be anything. If you are running a low CPU multi, low HT multi and putting your memory on a divider then that basically narrows it down to your board maxing out. 285 is not bad at all, though. Have you tried the Windows utility they have? It looks like it allows you to adjust the fsb with it.

See if better cooling on the north/south bridges and helps you clock higher. If you have not already replaced the thermal paste on them, do it now.

EnJoY120 said:
Offtopic question, but what oc options does the Foxconn offer?

Yes, and be sure to post in the matx mobo thread so i can update it.

Ah I forgot to do the NB & SB thermal paste. I'll do that and try again. Thanks for the tip.

With their windows utillity, SuperStep, I could reach 320+ after the update. Kind of weird because the bios can only support up to 300. Before flashing the bios, SuperStep will always crash the system above 276.

About the oc options, basically its:
FSB: max 300
Vcore Hammer: Up till 1.550
Vcore adjustment: Up till +0.140
Multiplier Hammer: Its there, I think its 2.5 till your max CPU multiplier, cant really remember
Vdimm: Up till 2.85
Complete memory timing settings, HT<->NB<->SB settings

I will post some screenies on the bios later today.

Whoa, so the Foxconn can actually compete with the Biostar at OCing? Thank god! I've bought a Foxy before, but until I jumped on the mATX bandwagon I had never heard of Biostar. I'd love to see a head-to-head compairsion of the two boards with the same chip. Anyone have the cash to buy both?

picture0121xl.jpg

picture0134ku.jpg

picture0149zg.jpg

picture0153kn.jpg

picture0165wv.jpg

picture0189hj.jpg

picture0198pw.jpg

picture0223tr.jpg

My custom bios logo :cool:

cpuz1ao.jpg

I put some pictures of my Silverstone LC11M HTPC-SFF in the SFF gallery:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028732944&postcount=156

No, or not yet. I can't run Prime95 at fsb 287 above. It immediately throw me a rounding error. 0.5 instead of 0.4 something after running for 1 minute. At 285 I primed for 10hrs. I think it's just my setup. And 300W running 2 SATA, 6800GS, and 85x9 extra is already amazing :)

I think this MSI 6150 sitting on my bed is going right back to Zipzoomfly (D*** TN sales tax on Newegg), after seeing these storyes! Good thing one of these are on the way and will be here in the moring, I can get to work putting my rig together.

Question: is the onbord S-Video killed when you put in another videocard?

Yes Pyro, the onboard video chip in all GeForce 6100/150 boards turns itself off once you put in a PCI-E card, unless someone has found a way to hack it.

M4rk said:
Yes Pyro, the onboard video chip in all GeForce 6100/150 boards turns itself off once you put in a PCI-E card, unless someone has found a way to hack it.
INCORRECT, so very incorrect and this incorrect fact is going around like crazy.

I can't speak for the 6100 boards but the one advantage to the 6150 boards is that you can run both onboard video and PCI-E at the same time. The BIOS on the MSI board is very configurable in this respect. You can make either the PCI-E default (for boot) or the onboard or vice versa. I plan on taking full advantage of this in a 3x monitor configuration with two nice LCD's on a 7800GTX and a lower quality 17" LCD on the onboard for email and IRC.

- JT

Really? I'll take back my comment wholeheartedly once you show me. Everyone says that you can't have a card running one monitor while the 6150 runs another. Proving me wrong would make me very happy, so please do so. :)

You know, I'm not sure about the 6150 boards, but my Jetway A210GDMS-Pro can do it if I have an ATI video card installed. Right now I'm running on a 7800gt, so it's not quite possible, but I think the nvidia boards just may be able to do that if this ATI based one can...

ATI's xpress200 chipset or whatever its called can do it with an ATI video card, nVidia's 6100/6150 chipset can do it with an nVidia card. otherwise it doesn't work.

275.jpg

I am very happy with this Foxconn. 275x9 is solid as anything ran 3DMark 2001 and Super Pi without crashing, also managed 30 mins of Quake 4.

Its a much nicer board than the Biostar one i had. I'd recommend it to anyone, 430 and decent clocking finally within our grasp...

Dubz

It's too bad Newegg doesn't stock this board anymore. Hopefully it's just out of stock and someone screwed up, cause all they show is the 6100/410 board.

MassiveOverkill said:
It's too bad Newegg doesn't stock this board anymore. Hopefully it's just out of stock and someone screwed up, cause all they show is the 6100/410 board.

They dont? Strange... I just got my 6150 in from newegg today/yesterday (it's 12:30am now). Maybe I got the last one ;) .

funny because i was looking at the board last night at newegg. Then an hour later when i went to refresh to look at the details again it totally disappeared.

*shakes fist @ newegg*

It's at ZZF, and I'm probably going to buy it soon. I just bought my WC kit though, heheh...

It was OOS at ZZF, but there were also 2 other stores on Pricegrabber that carried it. Newegg sometimes drops boards from their search when they don't know the ETA. I think I grabbed the last one! :D

On new boards, I believe Newegg orders only 4 of them and they probably do some math on how quickly it took them to sell them out or how many requests they get to determine whether they order a new batch and continue carrying them. Just a guess based on past experiences.

I sent Foxconn an email asking about a fix to my cold boot problems, but all i got back was a short sharp email telling me in no uncertain terms that "We dont offer tech support for overclocking issues"

Nice eh? Guess we wont be getting a bios update to fix the few niggly problems...

Dubz

Is anyone using any windows-based overclocking tools that work? I downloaded "SuperUtility" (which was made in '03), but it said I was already overspec when I tried to change the fsb. nTune lists support for this specific board, but it refused to install, complaining I did not have an nForce2 or nForce3 board.

Still need to update bios, to determine whether I need it.

On the stock bios, the Hammer VID (VCORE) control was not working correctly. I'll flash to the lastest bios tonight before figuring out what exactly is going on there.

I'm using SuperStep program that came with the board. I never got overspec message. Before flashing the bios, SuperStep always crashed the PC at 257 FSB. And with the bios setting, it won't post above 276.

After flashing the bios, mine still POST at 300. SuperStep can go up to 321 before it crashed. I never get a cold boot after flashing as well.

The vcore monitor in the BIOS is a bit weird, but after going in Windows, the hammer vid seems to be working just fine.

Well my experience, so far, has been very different.

Original bios only allowed me to boot @ 275fsb. Latest bios (10/07) I was able to get 285fsb booted and Prime stable, but would not boot consistently. Even that 10MHz increase may have been just coincidence.

Tried the Superutility on Foxconn's site for the board (1.6X). Said something about CPU frequency out of spec and would not let me change. Saw a newer version for the NF4 board (2.07). Same thing. Finally tried the one off the CD (2.10) and it finally lists the PCIe frequency, instead of the AGP frequency and it let me change the fsb. However if you look at the CPU speed in CPU-Z or any other utility, it is changing nothing! If I set it to exactly 290, it adjusts to 85fsb and says my CPU speed is 510MHz! :p (85x6). When I set it to exactly 390fsb, it also goes haywire! Reien, have you run any other programs to confirm what speed you are running at?

As for the VID, in BIOS it is claiming 0.05 higher than it should, but in Windows it is totally off. Anything above 1.45v does nada! I had the unfortunate experience to use their NF4 board and anything above 1.45v using Clockgen did the same thing. It must be a problem with how Foxconn coded their bioses.

The other settings for adjusting CPU voltage, Vcore Voltage Select does actually work and it works in conjuction with the Hammer VID, like the review says. Unfortunately it means 1.45 + .14 = 1.59v maximum. That should be enough for most chips nowadays, but it is still disappointing. Having two separate settings themselves are also irritating and confusing.

well, after playing around some more with the foxconn bios, here are the results.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=60861

This board refused to POST at anything above 275 before and on a whim I lowered the NB to SB and SB to NB multipliers from 4X to 3X and voila.
This board is definitely a keeper.

-dan

Wish mine would consistently do that. 279 was the max, so I'm going back to the Biostar. I figure by the time Arctic Cooling puts out a Silencer for the X1800 series, WD will have their 150GB Raptor out, which should dominate every drive out and I can ditch the SCSI card. :cool:

M4rk said:

I'm not sure if the onboard video card is fully off since it is still producing a lot of heat and burns when i touch the heatsink even when i'm using PCIe video card. I have contacted Foxconn to have an option to disable it to get rid of the heat for those that don't need a 2nd video card. Perhaps maybe being able to leave it enabled while another video card is in PCIe slot.

Does anyone know the MAX temperatures on the 6150 chipset? Mine is currently at 42c full load at 230 HTT.

Quick question about this board, does it come with a manual / users guide for it? I looked at pics on newegg and it doesent show one...

emptyshell said:
Quick question about this board, does it come with a manual / users guide for it? I looked at pics on newegg and it doesent show one...

It's on an included disc and you can also download the manual from Foxconn's web site.

I think im gonna take the plunge after seeing freddy's results. I would HOPE that it would be stable at those speeds (or 2500 mhz, i would be happy there)

My lanparty is a great board, but I wanna go SFF, I kinda got into Lan's, and my huge antec case DOESNT like to move (40 pounds with everything I got in it)

Id go to a simple SFF setup in a Coolermaster Matx centurion case!

Meh, I'm buying this. I just need to move teh moneh through Paypal. Hopefully it won't go back out of stock and DFI doesn't release a board by accident.

In case anyone want to know, the MAX temp tolerance for the C51 chipset seems to be 110C :eek: ?! Can some pros take a look at the spec sheet to confirm this? It is called Tcase Max i think. I got this info from tech support through Foxconn. If this is true that means running without a heatsink on it like ASUS is ok? I thought running 45c-52c seemed dangerous. Usually chipset at those temperature result in instability.

C51ThermalSPEC.bmp

I'd like to give my results so far... On my water-cooled X2 3800+ I'm running 2.5@stock volts and thus 250HTT. All the MB features are alive and well also (as I'm posing this uing it).

Great board! Even hold up well to getting drenched in a coolant leek.

how did you guys flash the bios for this board? with winflash or with a floppy?

Back