• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FOV for Eyefinity?

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 16, 2000
Messages
9,509
What's the best BFBC2 FOV to use with a 5760x1200 Eyefinity setup?
 
Try calculating what your actual FOV is and use that. If you have 3 monitors, each of which points directly at you, just figure out...

A = The distance your head is from the monitors.
B = The width of one of your monitors (use this if you dont like maths)

Then your FOV is 6*atan(B/(2*A))

You can do this on google by typing this into the search bar "6*atan(B/(2*A)) radians to degrees" without quotations and substitute in your values for A and B.

EDIT: If you have 3 screens arranged flat, then its 2*atan((3*B)/(2*A)), so type "2*atan((3*B)/(2*A)) radians to degrees".
 
Nah, atan is atan :) It means tan inverse, or arctan. Its how you find an angle given the lengths of a right angled triangle (opposed to just tan, which will find the lengths given you already know the angle). Google knows what atan is, so just type it as I've written it above and it should work, just replace capital A and B.

Those formulae just come from drawing a diagram of the monitors and breaking your FOV down into several right angle triangles.
 
Do most of you play with your outmost monitors tilted inwards slightly, or as a flat surface? Most people's setups, including my own, angle the monitors inwards slightly. Does that affect what FOV you should use?
 
Well you should use whatever you're comfortable with, its just its nice to start with the "correct" FOV and move from there. When using single monitors most people are comfortable using a much higher FOV than what they actually see the screen at. With Eyefinity this is more likely going to give noticable distortion in the image.

If the screens aren't pointing directly at you, nor entirely flat, then the actual FOV will be somewhere inbetween what is given by the two formulae I gave previously. I can't tell you exactly what it is without knowing more about how you have them set up :) Need an extra dimension of some sort.
 
Keep in mind that BC2's FOV is defined vertically, not horizontally. For Tudz' equation, substitute the monitor's height rather than the width to determine the optimal vertical FOV.

As for my answer, 75 (vertical) corresponds to 90 degrees horizontal at 4:3. 5760x1200 is 4.8:1, which yields 149 degrees horizontal and is the correct transformation of a 90 degree horizontal FOV at 4:3 for a 4.8:1 resolution.

Essentially, if you play HL2/Portal/TF2/L4D at 90 degrees (effective 149 degrees horizontal), odds are you'll want to play BC2 with the same horizontal FOV, which is what the 75 setting will get you. Every game can "feel" different, though, so it's one of those things you might be better off just tweaking until it feels right for you.
 
Keep in mind that BC2's FOV is defined vertically, not horizontally. For Tudz' equation, substitute the monitor's height rather than the width to determine the optimal vertical FOV.

Whoops, my mistake, I haven't actually set up BC2's FOV with Eyefinity before so I wasn't aware of that (only use Eyefinity at my friend's house). The formula wouldn't work then, because its based purely on horizontal viewing angle of a panoramic display. The vertical viewing angle would simply by 2*atan(C/(2*A)), where C is the vertical height of your monitor, but I dont believe that will correctly predict the vertical angle such that you get the correct horizontal angle. It'll just give you what the vertical FOV in the centre of the middle screen should be (but not on the side screens).

I'd need to know more about how BFBC2 calculates its FOV then, lol. Oh well, so much for that idea, my bad :)
 
Well, in that case, just find the optimal horizontal FOV and run it through an equation to derive the corresponding vertical. There's an equation listed here to solve for the hFOV for a given vFOV and resolution in width and height, but I wouldn't know how to rearrange it to solve for vFOV (because I'm an idiot).

EDIT: I think this would do it:

vFOV = 2*atan(tan(hFOV/2)*height/width)

EDIT 2: No, that's not right. Fuck math.
 
Last edited:
EDIT 2: No, that's not right. Fuck math.

LOL, best quote ever. After a few years of university I think I've heard that phrase a hundred times, though its not always math, sometimes its "physics", "dynamics", "control systems", etc ;)

Well, in that case, just find the optimal horizontal FOV and run it through an equation to derive the corresponding vertical. There's an equation listed here to solve for the hFOV for a given vFOV and resolution in width and height, but I wouldn't know how to rearrange it to solve for vFOV (because I'm an idiot).

EDIT: I think this would do it:

vFOV = 2*atan(tan(hFOV/2)*height/width)

EDIT 2: No, that's not right. Fuck math.

That should give you the same vFOV as using 2*atan(C/(2*A)), where C is the vertical height of your monitor as I mentioned previously (at least I think, its late and admittedly I didn't look closely at it :p). So if you use the equations I gave earlier to find the desired horizontal FOV, then use that calculator to find the vertical FOV, you should get the same result as using 2*atan(C/(2*A)) directly... assuming that online calculator doesn't have a compensator in it for the image distortion and assuming the vertical FOV is measured in the centre of the centre most screen.
 
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fovcalc.php

Keep in mind though, the FOV in the settings file is Vertical FOV.

As for the 'best' FOV... I think that's just personal preference. Some people swear by huge FOV's... but I like to go middle ground. The current gen of console ports do have really low FOV's, but I also think that the 90 FOV for 4:3 screen is a bit fisheye when applied to Hor+ games in triple wide.
 
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fovcalc.php

Keep in mind though, the FOV in the settings file is Vertical FOV.

As for the 'best' FOV... I think that's just personal preference. Some people swear by huge FOV's... but I like to go middle ground. The current gen of console ports do have really low FOV's, but I also think that the 90 FOV for 4:3 screen is a bit fisheye when applied to Hor+ games in triple wide.

I prefer my calculation :p That calculation is just giving you the equivelant 3 screen FOV given an old default FOV assuming all screens are arranged flat. Mine will actually tell you what FOV you are seeing the screens.

One of the big appeals of Eyefinity is to actually be able to use the real FOV that you are seeing the monitors at, opposed to single screen gaming where you inflate the FOV to compensate for having a small screen. If your screens were big enough, you had them pointing straight at you and you sat close enough, you could actually get a FOV wider than 180 degrees, though no games at the moment would display it properly, they just warp it with their fisheye projection effect.

Realistically I usually sit close enough to use a FOV of around 90-120 degrees.

But still, you just end up fiddling with it until you get something you like.
 
ok i have to ask this, because i dont understand it. why would you want to change the fov for BFBC2?? it supports eyefinity just fine. i dont see any fov issues. is this a portrait thing? i have mine in landscape and the fov looks fine. anyone have some screenshots to prove otherwise? thanks.
 
Do most of you play with your outmost monitors tilted inwards slightly, or as a flat surface? Most people's setups, including my own, angle the monitors inwards slightly. Does that affect what FOV you should use?

30 -ish degree tilt is the most common ive seen. i made a little template when i set mine up so they matched. if you have moreof an angle i find it looks nauseating, and if you keep it flat you lose the immersive effect. but to each their own.
 
Guys, guys, guys... do it the easy way:

WSGF EyeFinity FOV Calculator

Assuming that your default FOV is 90 for one 1920x1200 monitor, the correct FOV for 5760x1200 on three monitors is 143.

Edit: I see Intel_Hydralisk beat me to it.
 
Yeah, try plugging in 143 for the vertical FOV and see what kind of insanity that's going to be ;)
 
ok i have to ask this, because i dont understand it. why would you want to change the fov for BFBC2?? it supports eyefinity just fine. i dont see any fov issues. is this a portrait thing? i have mine in landscape and the fov looks fine. anyone have some screenshots to prove otherwise? thanks.

It's personal preference. The default VFOV is kind of low ... as are almost all modern games that are made for consoles. I bumped it up a little from the default personally.
 
thanks ill have a look. seems the default fov is 55?? seems low but i didnt notice the game looking weird.
 
thanks ill have a look. seems the default fov is 55?? seems low but i didnt notice the game looking weird.

I'm running at 65 VFOV right now. You probably didn't notice it because you were in triple wide ;)

It's easier to notice low FOV games on a single monitor.
 
I'm running at 65 VFOV right now. You probably didn't notice it because you were in triple wide ;)

It's easier to notice low FOV games on a single monitor.

i suppose. but in any game ive tried that has crappy fov its much more noticable in eyefinity than in single screen. (biocrap2 for instance)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top