Found PNY Mem Cheap

tenpinsniper

Weaksauce
PNY PC 3500 512MB (D512MPC35VTOPUR), thinking out picking up two sticks, would bring me up to 2GB.

Concerned about PNY's quality, will I still be able to run dual channel. Also looking at upgrading to a X2 3800+. Also mixing memory brands, having to run at 333 vs 400.

Here are my spec's
AMD A64 3000+
MSI K8N Neo4 Plat
Evga 6800gs 256mb
Cosair Value 2x512 in Dual Channel. PC3200
74GB Raptor 8mb
Antec SP-500 500W Power Supply

I have some and its definitley value ram. It won't run at 1T and does not oc at all. Aside from that it works fine.

That what my Cosair is is anyways, runs at 2.5. As long as this would keep up, fine by me. Does anyone know if this would work, mixing different speeds, latencies, brands...

Just as long as I can run at the speed of the slowest ram chips, thinking that it would have to better.

might be wisest to make sure what you get has the same rated speed and timings. even then, compatibility isn't a sure thing

one thing to keep in mind with 4x512mb, your board will raise command rate from 1T to 2T for a ~1-2% performance hit, depending on the program, and drop the memory speed down to ddr333.. for another slight performance hit.

if the programs you run like more than 1gb though, i wouldn't be concerned about that, only the compatibility

Really not sure even need 2GB of ram. Since I only play nascar sims (Sierra and EA) and such, not any of the shooter games and such. Wife plays Sims2, kids play the Cars game. Just though for $60 bucks for 2 sticks of this memory might be worth it. Not sure if it would be worth the gas and hassle, if I returned it. Any opinons welcome. Might be better served to upgrade CPU now to X2 3800+, and get bigger Storage HD drive later.

tenpinsniper said:
Is it possible that it would run at ddr400?
pc3500 is ddr433. 99.9% chance that it will run just run at slower than stock speeds. :D

I think they should still run in dual channel. I have one corsair and one pny chip and they work in dual channel.

Well the processor arrived yesterday, over the weekend went and purchased the PNY ram.

It did clock down the DDR333 and command rate of 2T, which was not my biggest concern. Just hate that I lost speed from the memory, but I'd imagine that I'm still better off the 2GB of ram.

The reason why my memory doesn't run at DDR400 speed it that it has chips on both sides the memory sticks. Might have the chance to try four sticks of the PNY, but I doubt it will work. I may also move the ram to different slots.

Right now:
Slots 1&2: Cosair
Slots 3&4: PNY

If anybody has any ideals let me know. Just cant justify buy 2x1GB sticks.

Back