• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Found a fix for GTA4 darkness problem.

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
1,911
I have a copy of GTA 4 and am running it on a 27inch crt. I've noticed that it was too dark and had to change the brightness on my tv to make things visible. I finally figured it out.
It's not the TV it's the game.
Go to Video Settings in the game and boost contrast all the way up, I also changed the brightness all the way up and it made the game playable. Stock the Contrast in game is too low. Remember to switch your tv to normal settings before you make this fix so you don't sacrifice colors or contrast.
Enjoy.
 
Thanks for the tip.. but.. anyone else find this to be a little on the obvious side?
 
still helpful, i did this earlier. didn't crank em all the way up though.
 
Well making it a bit more clear, there were ppl complaining in other forums not being able to fix the darkness and automatically tried changing the tv settings not the games.
Now I need to fund for an HDTV so I can see this game at a lot higher quality.
 
Thanks for the tip.. but.. anyone else find this to be a little on the obvious side?
You would think so..:p

Also...if you crank the contrast in-game then the bloom will make your eyes bleed. I went to the strip club after jacking up the contrast and my lapdance chick looked like she had a magic aura around her.
 
You would think so..:p

Also...if you crank the contrast in-game then the bloom will make your eyes bleed. I went to the strip club after jacking up the contrast and my lapdance chick looked like she had a magic aura around her.

rofl. That happened to me. The game wasn't too bright on my 27" LCD but I threw it in the living room 52" crt hd and the game was so freaking bright it was almost unplayable after the contrast change. I dropped it a little and the game looked great. I really don't like the image qualty on my LCD, it looks like shit.
 
The game is dark as night on my Dell 2407, and to be clear, GTA 4 is the only game I've played that is like this. I boosted the brightness setting all the way up, and it helped a bit. I kind of wonder what the developers were smoking to make it such a dark game...
 
I had to bump up the contrast on my game too, and i bumped the brightness up a little but not all they way. some places are still way too dark.
 
I think they were on crack or something, only game I've ever owned that I had to mess around with the video settings. You would think that default it wouldn't be this bad. At least it's playable now.
 
I've been thinking everything was too dark, too. I'll have to play with those settings.
I won't even comment on how lame the audio settings are. Why the cutscenes are only at 2/3 volume will forever puzzle me.
 
I also have been noticing this. At night time, I find alot of spots are just pitch black for the most part and its really hard to navigate with this spots. Remembered I was on a mission and I had to go up these stairs, couldnt find the stairs as they had no light on them at all.
 
agreed 100%. its my irking me a bit, I cranked the contrast and brightness, but when the sun came up, it was like i was a vampire, AHHH THE SUN, ARGH! it was so bright.

I remember running into this problem when I was mapping for different games including the unreal engine, there was some vertex lighting or something that I used to increase overall brightness in on all models to simulate ambient lighting because relying on light sources alone wasn't always enough.

It just seems as though the light doesn't make enough bounces to get ambient light where it should be at the right levels. If I was on the dev team I would have never let this problem get far.
 
Yea, first thing I did was go to in game settings and raise the brightness...Took ya that long? LOL
 
I wonder if this is something Rockstar can fix in a patch? I doubt it, but one can hope.
 
This is one of the first things I did in the game... brightness at about 80% and contrast at 60%.
 
i found a temporary fix for the not being able to move problem. moving the left joystick fixes it. but if you let joystick go, the problem comes back. ideas?
 
Even during the day it was too dark on 50% contrast 50% brightness. I'm using like 70% + 70%.
 
I have a copy of GTA 4 and am running it on a 27inch crt. I've noticed that it was too dark and had to change the brightness on my tv to make things visible. I finally figured it out.
It's not the TV it's the game.
Go to Video Settings in the game and boost contrast all the way up, I also changed the brightness all the way up and it made the game playable. Stock the Contrast in game is too low. Remember to switch your tv to normal settings before you make this fix so you don't sacrifice colors or contrast.
Enjoy.

Not to flame you, but that's the first place anyone would look (under in-game options).
 
but that's the first place anyone would look (under in-game options).

To be honest. I know there are alot of hard core noobs around here that would go straight to the TV options.
I believe this thread will point out noobies in the right direction.
 
Changing RGB to "Limited" in the display options of the PS3 helps a ton. Makes everything else band like crazy, however, so change it back for other games.
 
Back
Top