Fortnite Is PC Exclusive Epic Game

Oh, really, ClifffyB? How come the "next-gen" wasn't a high-end PC when you were shitting out sequels of Gears of War? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't trust anything this douchebag says or does anymore.

What a terrible game to showcase graphics...

+1

I would have expected they make it a technical showcase leaning more towards realism.

Although, there are other factors like texture size, physics, shaders, lighting, shadows, particle effects etc that combine to show what the engine is capable of, the cartoon art style isn't the best basis for pushing the graphics envelope.

Sounds like Epic still cannot create something original by themselves. They're now riding the successes of recent indie games! At least it won't be another typical, generic FPS.

Last edited:
"next-gen", "high end PC "?????

this crap looks like a xbox 360 game.

Probably more similar to the reason why TF2 is PC exclusive. I suspect this game will have a strong business component based around micro-transactions. So in a way yes it is leveraging the merits of the PC platform in way not possible on consoles.

Also GoW, like many other console games, isn't exactly a "console exclusive" in the sense the developer chose that platform based on that platform. It is platform exclusive and likely due to certain incentives given to Epic by Microsoft. This idea that Epic chose consoles over the PC is not exactly correct, GoW for instance at least was made available on the PC yet no game in the series has appeared on any console except the 360.

Agreed with the above posters, to a degree. You can still have much better lighting, animations and fidelity but still...I don't really like the art direction shown in those shots. It looks incredibly akward, particularly how he is holding that scythe. Don't really like the uber skinny and tall models, either. But at the end of the day, if it is fun I'll play it.

Soooo they chose money over PC. Got it.

Well the difference is people shouldn't be surprised they make a PC game if that particular title is better suited for that market.

As opposed to thinking Epic, at its a core a business, has some sort of fanboy attachment to consoles (or 360) and hate towards the PC.

I could never get into minecraft b/c of the graphics so this looks really good to me.

they should have made it realistic, not this cartoony TF2 shit. If DayZ has taught us anything, it's that people are very desperate for a realistic zombie survival game.

Well the difference is people shouldn't be surprised they make a PC game if that particular title is better suited for that market.

As opposed to thinking Epic, at its a core a business, has some sort of fanboy attachment to consoles (or 360) and hate towards the PC.

i think you're missing their point..

they dont have a fanboyism disease for consoles

they have a fanboyism for fucking money. cause pc games dont make money like consoles do my man

So they are making a game on PC with so-so looking graphics, and hoping the game will tank. Thereby swearing off PC gaming forever. Quite genius, actually!

Is it PC exclusive if he says this?

To be clear - Fortnite is PC primary and first, but we wouldn't rule out the possibility of other platforms later.

It's either we get A TRUE Unreal Tournament or Epic remains dead to me.

they should have made it realistic, not this cartoony TF2 shit. If DayZ has taught us anything, it's that people are very desperate for a realistic zombie survival game.

Maybe, but it's probably safe to assume that this was in development before DayZ was even on the horizon.

they have a fanboyism for fucking money. cause pc games dont make money like consoles do my man

Pretty much. While I love what I do (undisclosed - game development), I always know that I'm doing it for two things: to make the company an incredible amount of money from CONSOLE SALES, and to pour my heart into the product along with my team. Would it be nice to do a PC only game? Sure. It'd be nice to be able to do a lot of things, but we have to be real here.

I'm guessing they were looking to make something cheap and quick that capitalized on the success of Minecraft.

Trying to do a realistic open world like Arma 2/3 would take too much time and effort for them.

Last edited:
Maybe, but it's probably safe to assume that this was in development before DayZ was even on the horizon.

I'm guessing they were looking to make something cheap and quick that capitalized on the success of Minecraft.

Trying to do a realistic open world like Arma 2/3 would take too much time and effort for them.

I read on 'the verge' that they actually had a darker tone, but decided to make it like this because the other was too "depressing". Give me a break.

You might want to actually look at what I wrote and what it was in response to.

I actually really like the premise of the game, I really don't like that it is EPIC creating it.

I read on 'the verge' that they actually had a darker tone, but decided to make it like this because the other was too "depressing". Give me a break.

Zombie apocalypse is pretty fucking depressing. :p :rolleyes:

You might want to actually look at what I wrote and what it was in response to.

No, he pretty much got it. What you said was that Epic doesn't have some sort of hate for the PC. I don't know that anyone is saying that so much as that they turned their backs on the PC to chase console $$$ after their PC games/gamers made them what they are. Now they are trying to come crawling back with this ploy...sorry, not buying it.

You also can't say that the games they made for console only just "weren't suited to the PC". They did the first GoW for PC and then abandoned the PC after that, so it's clearly not that.

I really thought Epic/CliffyB was bullshitting when they said that they were going to make a PC exclusive game but I guess hell has frozen over. Though I doubt this game will stay as a PC exclusive game forever, I'm pretty sure when the new consoles arrive this game will be ported to consoles, but whatever, I rather see a PC developed game than a lame ass console port.

Unreal 4 Engine= A real sequel to the UT series or Cliffy&Co. can fuck off!

I'm expecting this to be F2P. Even with the release and commercial failure of Bulletstorm, Epic was still crying piracy. Epic shares the throne with Ubisoft as the most inflammatory gaming company towards the PC community and to just come out of the blue with a "PC-exclusive" without some way to heavily monetise and "pirateproof" the game is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm expecting this to be F2P. Even with the release and commercial failure of Bulletstorm, Epic was still crying piracy. Epic shares the throne with Ubisoft as the most inflammatory gaming company towards the PC community and to just come out of the blue with a "PC-exclusive" without some way to heavily monetise and "pirateproof" the game is ridiculous.

Nah, Plague....doesn't need to be F2P, because in all likelihood Epic is exaggerating the degree to which this game is a PC exclusive and has every intent on it being a multiplatform development from the outset.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/fortn...later-date-hints-at-next-generation-consoles/

Cliff Bleszinski ‏@therealcliffyb

To be clear - Fortnite is PC primary and first, but we wouldn't rule out the possibility of other platforms later.

We have seen other developers using these types of tactics to sucker PC users, most recently DICE with BF3. As much as people will protest that PC was the lead platform, it is quite apparent that a lot of design and gameplay decisions were made to accommodate consoles.

Last edited:
If they were serious about making a PC exclusive,they would have made a decent,true sequel to the game that made their company - Unreal. Not some damned cartoon that was clearly made with future console release in mind.

Graphics are not everything in a game. I actually really like stylized games that develop a unique art style, like TF2 (before adding all the hats..sigh). I think a game that develops a unique art style stands up over the long run then games that try to look as realistic as possible. If they do it right, I think it will be an asset to the game.

For example, go look at the original HL2 game. At the time it looked stunning, but today it looks kind of dull. Now look at a game like Psychonauts that developed a unique art style. Even today it looks good even though its about 10 years old.

Zombie apocalypse is pretty fucking depressing. :p :rolleyes:

Yeah, but that's what it's supposed to be. Don't try and make it something it's not. It's like those family sitcoms of the 90s that always had that "serious" episode that made you cringe because that's not what the show was, instead they shoehorned it in. Zombie and cartoony just don't go together to me. Shame because the concept is really, really good. They should have made it more realistic, awesome machine killing graphics, and made the building system more in-depth and fine controlled.

Yeah, but that's what it's supposed to be. Don't try and make it something it's not. It's like those family sitcoms of the 90s that always had that "serious" episode that made you cringe because that's not what the show was, instead they shoehorned it in. Zombie and cartoony just don't go together to me. Shame because the concept is really, really good. They should have made it more realistic, awesome machine killing graphics, and made the building system more in-depth and fine controlled.

I know, I'm agreeing with you. Sorry if that wasn't clear. :cool:

Graphics are not everything in a game. I actually really like stylized games that develop a unique art style, like TF2 (before adding all the hats..sigh). I think a game that develops a unique art style stands up over the long run then games that try to look as realistic as possible. If they do it right, I think it will be an asset to the game.

For example, go look at the original HL2 game. At the time it looked stunning, but today it looks kind of dull. Now look at a game like Psychonauts that developed a unique art style. Even today it looks good even though its about 10 years old.

You do realize this game is trying to showcase Unreal 4 and is supposed to be "Next Gen". In that case, I'd expect to be blown away by what a PC Exclusive title can accomplish graphically with a "Next Gen" engine.

You do realize this game is trying to showcase Unreal 4 and is supposed to be "Next Gen". In that case, I'd expect to be blown away by what a PC Exclusive title can accomplish graphically with a "Next Gen" engine.

Epic's Tanya Jessen on why Fortnite looks like poo:

...we had already shown what UE4 can do at the highest level with the Elements demo, so we thought we should put out a game first that was really accessible and that everyone could play on their PCs. This is going to be a game that the PC you own today…will be able to run, and that’s a great thing for the engine, especially as a toolset for game developers out there.

http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6386859/epics-cliff-bleszinski-and-tanya-jessen-talk-up-fortnite

What a load of PR horse shit....I know that PC exclusivity is not necessarily synonymous with ground breaking cutting edge graphical fidelity, but we already have PLENTY of games that run at breakneck speed on current and aging hardware.

I am of the same mindset as Intel_Hydralisk, if they are going to do a PC exclusive then for gods sakes push the boundaries in terms of AI, graphics and physics!

My guess:

This is a PC-exclusive only because it uses UE4, which is designed for next-generation consoles. When the PS4 and XBox 720 come out, Fortnite will be there for them, on opening day.

I hope this game is not the extent of the power of the Unreal 4 engine...looks goofy

I can safely say I didn't expect anything UE4-based to look like a cross between Borderlands and I Am Legend...whether or not this is a good thing is still open to debate.

I hope this game is not the extent of the power of the Unreal 4 engine...looks goofy

Yes the elements demo they showed earlier doesn't actually exist because it's all a mere figment of our imaginations and in reality they have already drawn out everything there is to suckle from their brand new engine. Shows over, we've reached the pinnacle for UE4.

Seriously, there's more to a GAME engine than it just looking good in static screenshots.

Back