Fortnite crashing

mateyman

n00b
This is for my bro's PC, he has 980 ti, ryzen 7 2700x and 16 gb bdie ram

Heres his build: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24974172

3dmark time spy dx 12 (demo version): https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/44230524

I tested his ram with memtest64 for like 30 minutes and all good. Ran asus realbench overnight for 7 hours and also passed all good (his max temp hit was 85C using box cooler and no OC). His GPU temp did peak at 88C when I was benchmarking with time spy for like 15 minutes, so I am not sure how much higher it coulda have gotten.

I removed and reinstalled his graphics driver. I updated his bios (they were 2 years old). I updated his chipset,sata,lan,audio drivers all using motherboard site. His PC feels snappy. Only thing is to do malwarebytes scan for sure but I am running out of ideas for why this stupid ass trash ass game keeps crashing for him... Hes a good so naturally he thinks his PC is trash and wants to spent a rack or two on a whole new PC when I just built him that east like 1 or 2 ago... Help lads! I told him to try other games but hes only playing Fortnite now so I have no other ideas if its the game or what.

I want to note that when he played the game with his case closed, it was crashing left and right, but now that he removed his case cover, the crashing is happening only 1 or 2 a day, so maybe it could be the case overheating cos no airflow and causing his game to crash? But when I test with asus bench, his CPU peaks at 89C over 7 hours with no crashing, but I'm guessing maybe his GPU is shutting down?

I tried to turn off his XMP profile and the issue remained, so I doubt its OC issue. His GPU is not OCed

Last edited:
Have you tried removing the heatsink and reapplying the thermal paste? Sounds like some improvements can be made with the temps. Is the case well ventilated? Is there an overclock? What voltage is the CPU seeing in the BIOS? Is he using PBO? (PBO tends to overvolt things, especially with Asus boards). Try turning off PBO and monitor temps with Ryzen Master.

89C is very high for a non-OC'd 2700X. I would suggest getting some fresh thermal paste and repasting the cooler on the cpu as it seems as if it isn't mounted well. The other possibility is that the motherboard is overvolting the processor in Auto mode. Check the voltages while running time spy and go from there.

Some ideas: (not sure all the things you tried or not, first is to try to separate if it is his system or GPU, it can get pretty involved depending upon if you do locate the issue)
  • Put the 980 Ti in another machine and see if Fortnite still crashes
    • If so, underclock both ram/GPU and see if that stops the crashes
      • The culprit is probably the card and he would probably not need a new system
      • May have to remove the HSF, re paste and put back together and retest.
    • If not then it is his system
  • Try another card in his machine and do the same
    • If it does not crash any longer then it is most likely not his machine
    • If it does then
      • Try one memory stick at a time
        • Use different dim slots
      • Try a different PCIe slot
  • Reload the game onto a totally different SSD/HD etc. (I am assuming you did a file check of all drives) Just to rule out storage issues
    • If you have a fast USB stick, load the game on it and test it out
  • Remove all other non-essential hardware including USB devices
    • As a note I found in the past that some Logitech devices, as in a mouse could cause instability depending upon what was being done
      • So if it comes down to this you can rule even those out by trying out even different keyboards, mice etc.
      • You could even turn off like the sound device in Windows, play game to see if it still crashes
  • Power Supply:
    • A weak power supply can be like a weird zombie, work great for some things and fail on others due to ripples, not able to work with rapidly changing power loads like during a game where the CPU and GPU power can be all over the place
      • If you have a different power supply, hook it up
  • Sometimes you just have to take the board out of the machine and go to the bare basics as you rebuild to see what is causing the problem. At this point that even means a totally different system drive, new Windows Install etc.
It can just be a bug in the game with his combination of hardwarel. Maybe simple or just very involved, hopefully I gave you some ideas to proceed.

It may also be helpful for him to play almost any other game that's just as graphically challenging to verify that it's PC related and not a game/driver issue.

Reactions: noko
like this
Have you tried removing the heatsink and reapplying the thermal paste? Sounds like some improvements can be made with the temps. Is the case well ventilated? Is there an overclock? What voltage is the CPU seeing in the BIOS? Is he using PBO? (PBO tends to overvolt things, especially with Asus boards). Try turning off PBO and monitor temps with Ryzen Master.

You are referring to the CPU or the GPU? I edited my post but overnight asus realbench actually resulted in 85C max CPU temp hit. So I'm pretty sure since its stable and the temp was 85C and its a ryzen then prob can rule out CPU. Ram also prob rule out cos memtest64 passed no problem.

Case is not well ventilated, matter fact, non of the fans work on the case. So for now he has the side panel open to improve air flow, also I noticed his game crashed way more frequent when his side panel was on compared to off. Now it crashed once or twice a day compared to multiple times prior to removing side panel. You think if we get him fans and close up the side panel we can totally eliminate the crashed?

No overclock, just XMP, and I checked it only applied to the ram frequency, timings and voltage, didn't OC the cpu.

The plan now is to buy him a new case and improve his ventilation with case fans. Someone suggested I should check the RPM on GPU visually by looking at the fans and through after burner so I plan to do this and just in general monitor his GPU temps while he plays Fortnite for extended time.,

89C is very high for a non-OC'd 2700X. I would suggest getting some fresh thermal paste and repasting the cooler on the cpu as it seems as if it isn't mounted well. The other possibility is that the motherboard is overvolting the processor in Auto mode. Check the voltages while running time spy and go from there.

Sorry I mean to say his max temp of overnight asus realbench was 85C and it passed successfully on the stock ryzen fan. I think this rules out any motherboard issues overvoltaing the CPU or just the CPU it self can also be ruled out.

Some ideas: (not sure all the things you tried or not, first is to try to separate if it is his system or GPU, it can get pretty involved depending upon if you do locate the issue)
  • Put the 980 Ti in another machine and see if Fortnite still crashes
    • If so, underclock both ram/GPU and see if that stops the crashes
      • The culprit is probably the card and he would probably not need a new system
      • May have to remove the HSF, re paste and put back together and retest.
    • If not then it is his system
  • Try another card in his machine and do the same
    • If it does not crash any longer then it is most likely not his machine
    • If it does then
      • Try one memory stick at a time
        • Use different dim slots
      • Try a different PCIe slot
  • Reload the game onto a totally different SSD/HD etc. (I am assuming you did a file check of all drives) Just to rule out storage issues
    • If you have a fast USB stick, load the game on it and test it out
  • Remove all other non-essential hardware including USB devices
    • As a note I found in the past that some Logitech devices, as in a mouse could cause instability depending upon what was being done
      • So if it comes down to this you can rule even those out by trying out even different keyboards, mice etc.
      • You could even turn off like the sound device in Windows, play game to see if it still crashes
  • Power Supply:
    • A weak power supply can be like a weird zombie, work great for some things and fail on others due to ripples, not able to work with rapidly changing power loads like during a game where the CPU and GPU power can be all over the place
      • If you have a different power supply, hook it up
  • Sometimes you just have to take the board out of the machine and go to the bare basics as you rebuild to see what is causing the problem. At this point that even means a totally different system drive, new Windows Install etc.
It can just be a bug in the game with his combination of hardwarel. Maybe simple or just very involved, hopefully I gave you some ideas to proceed.

This is real good info here but I feel like its probably a temp issue, his case is always hot as shit. Also when his case panel is on the game crashes way more frequent compared to when the case panel is off. Also because his GPU hit a max temp of 89C in timespy tells me its a temp issue mostly coming from the GPU side.

85c is hot to me. I have a 3800x and turned off PBO in the BIOS. I can boost to 4.6ghz single core and max temps are high 60's to low 70's. Although I'm watercooled, but am running a tiny ITX case with an Asus X570-i and an X5700XT, all off a single 120mm fan. If I were you, I'd reapply thermal paste, boot to BIOS and disable PBO, then try again. If you want to do a quick test, install RyzenMaster and see what temps and voltages it is reporting under load. If it's idling at 1.3-1.4v, I'd suspect too much voltage is your issue. If you are technically inclined, do a manual all core overclock with 1.25-1.3v as your max and then monitor temps.

Back