• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Formatted hard drive, now it's slower?

YamahaAlex37

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
1,775
I was cleaning up my Samsung F3 1tb and decided to format it, and I unchecked "quick format" thinking it might run a little quicker without all the fragments or whatever.

The F3 isn't my OS drive, I have a SSD for that, but every time I run a program or open a file off the F3 I can hear the hard drive spinning up and delaying before accessing the data. I don't remember the hard drive ever doing this before, but it is definitely noticeably slower. I'll run some benchmarks, but are there any suggestions?
 
Also check if the drive is going bad by looking at the SMART. A good program for that is CrystalDiskInfo. If it says any status other than Good there is reason for concern.
 
SMART show the drive is in Good status. Write caching was already enabled, so I turned off windows buffer flush cache.

I was going to benchmark the drive, but I got distracted by my OCZ Vertex 2. Is this disappointing?

54268394.jpg



Here is the F3:

54593602.jpg
 
Last edited:
I was cleaning up my Samsung F3 1tb and decided to format it, and I unchecked "quick format" thinking it might run a little quicker without all the fragments or whatever.

The F3 isn't my OS drive, I have a SSD for that, but every time I run a program or open a file off the F3 I can hear the hard drive spinning up and delaying before accessing the data. I don't remember the hard drive ever doing this before, but it is definitely noticeably slower. I'll run some benchmarks, but are there any suggestions?
I have no idea why/how you're using a F3 but why would you think it was unusual when you cleared the drive of all data thru a format and it was trying to "catch-up" on whatever you've been doing with it, that it wouldn't run excessively?
 
I have no idea why/how you're using a F3 but why would you think it was unusual when you cleared the drive of all data thru a format and it was trying to "catch-up" on whatever you've been doing with it, that it wouldn't run excessively?

I have my OS and main programs on a SSD, but for example lets say I have some pictures saved to the F3, if I go to the folder to access those pictures I can audibly hear the F3 spinning up and taking much longer to access those files. Happens when opening programs that are on the F3 as well.
 
Then your problem is you have disk power saving turned on in your OS. Disable that and the disk should not spin down.
 
Then your problem is you have disk power saving turned on in your OS. Disable that and the disk should not spin down.

I went in to power options and advanced features, and Hard Disk was set to turn off after 20 minutes, I changed it to never. Hopefully this was the problem, thanks a lot.
 
Back
Top