Format recovery.

moetop

[H]ard|Gawd
I have already googled, and am considering Paragon, or ultimate boot CD, but I wanted your guys personal experiences and opinions on tools. (preferably free). The drive has been simply formatted, and I want the shortest path to recovery.

The UBCD has some pretty decent recovery tools.. just have to build and burn..

I know absolutely nothing about Paragon... sorry.

getdataback from runtime.org

Im using it now to recover files form a drive that a friend dropped on the garage floor (no idea why he was working on his PC in there...oh well)

so far 50% recovered files.....and still going.

getdataback from runtime.org

Im using it now to recover files form a drive that a friend dropped on the garage floor (no idea why he was working on his PC in there...oh well)

so far 50% recovered files.....and still going.

Cool it recovers data from Physically damaged disks?

I formatted a 300 GB (the simple kind, wiping out the file table) hard drive without copying over one directory. I used GetDataBack and it recovered it just fine.

Cool it recovers data from Physically damaged disks?

It is pretty amazing. It keeps re-reading damaged sectors over and over and over .... coming at it from different areas of the disk etc until it can get a good enough sample size of the data on the failed sector to re-write and remap the sector to a spare.

I have found that the program can take upwards of 5 weeks to run on a really trashed hard drive, but my recovery rate is near 100%. As long as controller is not bad, and the drive spins and read arms work (aka not a click-death-drive) you have a very good chance of recovery.

Typically the program will run in a few hours, however I am currently running a laptop drive that was dropped and I am at about 4 weeks & 14% done.

It is pretty amazing. It keeps re-reading damaged sectors over and over and over .... coming at it from different areas of the disk etc until it can get a good enough sample size of the data on the failed sector to re-write and remap the sector to a spare.

I have found that the program can take upwards of 5 weeks to run on a really trashed hard drive, but my recovery rate is near 100%. As long as controller is not bad, and the drive spins and read arms work (aka not a click-death-drive) you have a very good chance of recovery.

Typically the program will run in a few hours, however I am currently running a laptop drive that was dropped and I am at about 4 weeks & 14% done.

Is there anyway to run it in windows on a spare/unused hd to recover data? I only have one pc and cant stand to have it go for 5 weeks or in a dos shell?

Yes, you havve to run it in Windows...its a Windows program, not DOS.
You scan your secondary drive, which would be the 'bad' drive

Is there anyway to run it in windows on a spare/unused hd to recover data? I only have one pc and cant stand to have it go for 5 weeks or in a dos shell?

No, you must boot from the CD which as a Free-DOS os, and it must be native (not under windows) because it has to have full access to the drive at a hardware level.

Back