Ford and Purdue develop new EV charging cables

No need to redo, just look at the data sheet, 11.1 Wh/kg, you can play happy with the price but as I mentioned earlier "at least an order of magnitude lower than lithium batteries in energy density per mass" cost is certainly a great thing to worry about, but if you can't crack the energy density side of things it really doesn't matter if they were free, no one is going to want either (using the above spreadsheet calcs) 11000+ kg of supercaps to have the same total energy as a Tesla battery, or less than 1/20th the range before you have to recharge. Ok the range part could work if there was an integrated electrical grid so you can constantly (or periodically) recharge like a slot car track, but I don't even want to think about the potential dangers of that. Hell there's a reason why electric buses that pull from overhead wires do so fairly high into the air.
You can’t use Lithium Ion batteries in many industrial cases because of their inherent combustibility. Supercaps like these are used in mining vehicles, busses, heavy dump trucks. These compete with Lead Acid for storage ability and the ability to fully charge a truck for a days work in 1-2 minutes is the point. In industrial settings there are huge swaths of heavy equipment that may go 20 years or more never going further away than 10km from their parking spot.

You can’t use Lithium Ion batteries in many industrial cases because of their inherent combustibility. Supercaps like these are used in mining vehicles, busses, heavy dump trucks. These compete with Lead Acid for storage ability and the ability to fully charge a truck for a days work in 1-2 minutes is the point. In industrial settings there are huge swaths of heavy equipment that may go 20 years or more never going further away than 10km from their parking spot.
Oh yeah, absolutely. But my point was the comparison with the Tesla battery tends to point in the direction of the general consumer marketplace. A bus slapping on 5 tons of extra mass isn't a huge deal, a personal car is, plus as mentioned some areas have overhead charging

Oh yeah, absolutely. But my point was the comparison with the Tesla battery tends to point in the direction of the general consumer marketplace. A bus slapping on 5 tons of extra mass isn't a huge deal, a personal car is, plus as mentioned some areas have overhead charging
I showed this to maintenance and they are very interested in their car battery for the bigger diesels that they sell. For the busses and the bigger trucks they could really help in the winter.

I'd like to see some real world testing on that cable. Some of the cables on Electrify America chargers are so stiff i've had to park sideways just to get the cable to plug in. No way some little ole granny is going to be able to manhandle a stiff heavy cable

There's a guy on youtube who put a solar panel on his leaf and it gets him an additional 20 miles after about 20 minutes of sitting in the sun. That's not bad considering he is charging a secondary battery that then charges the main battery.

For trucks, hydrogen makes more sense imo.

There's a guy on youtube who put a solar panel on his leaf and it gets him an additional 20 miles after about 20 minutes of sitting in the sun. That's not bad considering he is charging a secondary battery that then charges the main battery.
I'm going to call a big ol' bullshit on this, either you misheard what was said or him just being a big fat liar. Without doing any efficiency calculations of the Leaf, 20miles for 20 minutes in the sun suggests that he could drive at 60mph without using any battery power at all as long as there's full sun, and more outrageous is he could drive around town at 35 mph as long as the sun is up and actually charge his batteries while doing so. No way a commercial vehicle is that efficient, only those college engineering teams who build those ultra light super low profile vehicles can actually use solar to make them go for a net positive gain.

Now the math part, looking online I see 150 mile range with their 40kWh battery, so about 5.3 kWh needed to go 20 miles. So he'd need 16kW of solar panels to make that kind of power in 20 minutes, which using the dimensions of existing solar panels (really good ones) that would need a space of roughly 25 feet by 30 feet. So yeah... I call bullshit on this claim, in fact I don't think he could go 2 miles with a 20 minute charge the Leaf is really a small car with not a lot of surface area for solar.

I'm going to call a big ol' bullshit on this, either you misheard what was said or him just being a big fat liar. Without doing any efficiency calculations of the Leaf, 20miles for 20 minutes in the sun suggests that he could drive at 60mph without using any battery power at all as long as there's full sun, and more outrageous is he could drive around town at 35 mph as long as the sun is up and actually charge his batteries while doing so. No way a commercial vehicle is that efficient, only those college engineering teams who build those ultra light super low profile vehicles can actually use solar to make them go for a net positive gain.

Now the math part, looking online I see 150 mile range with their 40kWh battery, so about 5.3 kWh needed to go 20 miles. So he'd need 16kW of solar panels to make that kind of power in 20 minutes, which using the dimensions of existing solar panels (really good ones) that would need a space of roughly 25 feet by 30 feet. So yeah... I call bullshit on this claim, in fact I don't think he could go 2 miles with a 20 minute charge the Leaf is really a small car with not a lot of surface area for solar.
Yeah after looking at his youtube page his best day is 3.2 KWh, but most days he seems to pull 2.2 KWh, so 20 miles on a 2h charge is technically possible but not 20 min.

But it looks like he is running 4 panels up on that thing, mounted from a roof rack and they fold out to cover more area, I wonder how the weight and bulk affect the vehicle's mileage and such. But at least it seems to function as a decent sunshade so when parked in those open hot California parking lots it would at least keep the vehicle a little cooler.

Yeah after looking at his youtube page his best day is 3.2 KWh, but most days he seems to pull 2.2 KWh, so 20 miles on a 2h charge is technically possible but not 20 min.
Got a link to it? That said he pulled 2.2 kWh for the day, I assume the day wasn't a 20 minute charge only, so the time factor is already in there so for a whole day of charging he can go just under 10 miles.

Got a link to it? That said he pulled 2.2 kWh for the day, I assume the day wasn't a 20 minute charge only, so the time factor is already in there so for a whole day of charging he can go just under 10 miles.

Found a newer video of his, so he says he loses about 2-3 miles from the weight of the equipment but he gets between 20 and 30 miles of a charge a day from the panels so whole day not hours.

That looks obnoxious and just waiting for bird droppings or worse. So many things to go wrong.

That looks obnoxious and just waiting for bird droppings or worse. So many things to go wrong.
Oh yeah.... but at least it's low enough that you could clean it easily. The ones I have on my buildings are a PITA to clean, and unlike the metal roofing the snow doesn't slide off as easily, so that's fun to have somebody knock that all off.

Back