Forcing monitor calibration in games?

John721

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

Just wondering what folks use to force their monitor calibrations (ICC and so on) to work in games - which apparently ordinarily can at times ignore the calibration. I've read about a variety of utilities that can do it. Powerstrip, monitor calibration wizard, and more. Does anything work more consistently and reliably than the others?

There's no way to force custom color profiles in fullscreen mode in the most games on an nvidia gpu.
The only thing that probably works is Powerstrip with AMD.
However you can just run games windowed if possible and then use this app:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675769
Beware though this app can be recognised as a cheat in some online games. I was banned from tf2 server for using it.
It sucks so much that developers lock their games from using custom color profiles and gamma curves since all gaming monitors come with terrible factory callibration. :eek:

They probably ignore video card-level calibration because of... Artistic Integrity...

Ugh, now I have to wash my mouth out.

It's entirely possible this has changed with later iterations of AMD cards, but I used to have one (back when they were known as ATI...I think it was an HD 4000 series card), and I could adjust color options through its drivers and they would be forced onto games that normally wouldn't take an ICC profile (Modern Warfare 2 for example). Contrast, brightness, saturation, RGB color balance, hue, and possibly some other options were available. It was a very nice feature that I've been missing after switching over to nVidia. Other than that, your best option is to run games that won't take your ICC profile in Full Screen Windowed mode when offered.

Side note: I won't buy any monitor that doesn't at least have an OSD menu with Contrast/Brightness/RGB balance sliders for this very reason.

Last edited:
calibrating screen for proper result you need to correct gamma and gamut
in games you can only wish to correct gamma, never gamut, so all in all results will be only subpar at most

NV suck for color correction as its harder to keep gamma correction in games and besides there are nasty looking banding artifacts on NV cards when correcting gamma. AMD cards work much better both when it comes to picture quality during calibration and keeping this calibration in games. There is also one option in AMD panel that change gamut to math sRGB more which at least on some monitors helps make image closer to calibrated. Too bad AMD didn't made feature to load ICC profiles, that would be a killer :(

With AMD you can use PowerStrip, even the free version I believe will work in enforcing gamma adjustments via ICM profile. You apply the ICM profile, and then save the video card's color LUT (lookup table) in memory.

With nVidia I have used Color Profile Keeper (or CPKeeper) as well with good effect, though I haven't tried it in multiplayer games, so I can't comment on whether or not it will be flagged as spyware/hacking.

Here's a link for CPKeeper:

http://goebish.free.fr/cpk

My Desktop Display settings though Nvidia usually use the same settings in game =) In windows 8.1
I know games like Battlefield 4 take the Desktop settings and some other games. Other games override the desktop settings in full screen mode.

Back