ForceWare 185.68 Released

The Vista64 version seems to have been taken down:confused: Hopefully these are better than the bugged mess the earlier 185s were...

185.50 made me BSOD ever time I tried to plan an MP4 in Windows Media Player.

No such problems with the lates 182s though. I may try these when I get home later today.

Anybody tried them? How's this Ambient Occlusion thingy?

Honestly, it's supposed to make shadows better, but I can't tell that it's on or off apart from the major framerate hit I take with it on. Maybe my current hardware is just too old, but it's listed as supported so I don't know.

I've heard other people raving about it and complaining when it doesn't work, so maybe I'm just blind, or have had very bad luck in picking titles to test it in.

It's been in the 182 series for a few months now.

New in Release 185.68:
  • Optimized performance for the PC game The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

I wouldn't expect too much difference from this one.

This caused some artifacting in Team Fortress 2 on the "nemesis" screen that is displayed right after you're killed.

all the 185 drivers cause many issues for me. it makes my monitor get recogined as a tv and many games have flickering or messed up colors. also Ambient Occlusion is a joke because almost every game becomes unplayable. hell even Dead Space went from 140fps down to 50. lol

I'm gonna give it a shot. I wonder if CUDA actually will get a performance boost.

I actually got the WHQL drivers from Nvidia the 182.50s just day before yesterday. Definitely bumped my performance prob cause of the sli profile for the last remnant. I think I might skip this generation of drivers.

Ambient occlusion doesn't do much in Counter-Strike: Source. There's visually little difference between on and off. It's only visible at close ranges and even there it fades out at certain angles. Kinda sucks since this is like the only game where turning AO on wouldn't hurt performance--I would still manage well above 60 FPS.

It works much better in Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2, but with my set up, the performance hit is noticeable. Would be a good way to increase image quality for those with GTX 280s, though.

Back