Force full screen app to use second GPU?

I have a GTX970 as my main card and a GT 710 as my secondary. It's only there to drive a second display without eating resources from my primary.

Of morbid curiosity, I'd like to bench the 710 side by side with my 970, but I can't seem to get fullscreen apps to run on it. Anything I set to full screen wants to run on my 970.

Any help for a multi-gpu multi-monitor newbie? =)

You don't need a GT 710 to run multiple displays. A single GTX 970 can power 4 displays with no issue.

You don't need a GT 710 to run multiple displays. A single GTX 970 can power 4 displays with no issue.
Thanks for the helpful response. I'm really regretting my $30 purchase now. =/

I'm aware that my 970 can drive multiple displays. I just didn't want to do it that way. The MSI GT 710 low-profile passive cooled card is a cheap, adorable little brick and the lower PCIe slot on my mobo was feeling lonely.

So... anyone else?

Last edited:
While the theory is not without merit, the practical implementation of what you're asking for isn't really present in any GPU's driver. Not with Windows, anyway. I'm sure this is doable in Linux, somehow.

Now, one way I can see this working "in windows", would be to run a hypervisor on the metal, spin up two instances of windows and then pass-through a GPU to each instance for each display, then use something like Synergy to deal with the kb/m situation. ;)

Huh, weird. I would have thought that as my main monitor is connected to my 970 physically, the 970 would draw that screen, and as my little second monitor is connected to the 710 physically, the 710 would draw that one.

Oh well. The little passively cooled 710 looks like a miniature version of my 970 with the AlphaCool waterblock, so at least it's got that going for it. =D

Back