Force Browser To Use Certain Network Connection

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there a way to make a browser such as Chrome use a specific network connection?

I have two network connections here at work, our very slow and congested Ethernet network and a cellular connection.

I want the browser traffic for just Chrome to go out over that cellular connection with IE still using the Ethernet connection.

Is that possible?

The OS is Windows XP SP3

Sure, easiest way I can think of now is if you're using a SOCKS proxy on the phone. Set it up in browser, and it will run through phone.

You could try this: http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/

Another possible option would be to run a proxy on your local machine that can bind its outgoing connections to a particular interface, though I'm not sure how Windows routing handles either of these situations w.r.t the default route.

There's no policy routing in Windows (at least XP) though, so you can't just tell it to send all web traffic out to a specific gateway or interface.

You could try this: http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/

Another possible option would be to run a proxy on your local machine that can bind its outgoing connections to a particular interface, though I'm not sure how Windows routing handles either of these situations w.r.t the default route.

There's no policy routing in Windows (at least XP) though, so you can't just tell it to send all web traffic out to a specific gateway or interface.

That works like a champ. Unfiltered internet at work. :D

It is even smart enough to switch back to the Cellular interface when reconnected after I take a phone call. Very nice.

EDIT: I am lovin' this soooo much. Thanks Keenan, big props to you man. Woot!

Last edited:
Did I get you right that you solved your problem by using ForceBindIP ?

I want to use Google Chrome to use wired iPhone as internet gate.
But when I follow the instructions I am not able to connect to any address.
I try IP and GUID, with or without -i switch, all with same result.
I am sitting on company network where all browsers normally are configured to use custom proxy configuration. I disable this for Chrome but am still not successful.

Any ideas?

Yea, it worked pretty good for the most part, but it didn't work flawlessly.

Usually about every 1 or 2 minutes, my primary connection would freeze up causing me to lose connection to our Oracle server and my cellular data connection would reset. When that started happening, I promptly stopped using it while active on our corp network and eventually just stopped using it all together. It's like maybe the program got overwhelmed or something.

Did you notice it works only for NT/XP/2000/2003?

Also, I don't know how a iPhone shares it's connection, I was using a Windows phone and it uses Windows ICS to share it's connection.

Thanks for your reply.
I have XP on my work so that would be no problem.
I probably need to get hold of someone using the same combination: iPhone+ForceBindIP+XP

Last edited:
@Met-AL: keep in mind that what you're doing is a network security risk. Having your PC connected to your corporate LAN and an external untrusted/unfirewalled network at the same time is risky business. Your PC can potentially become a bridge that can directly connect the outside world to your company's internal network if your PC were to become compromised. A fireable offense at some companies with high security levels. That is why firewalls exist, and you are bypassing your corporate firewall. If your network administrator finds out, he will have your head. :p Plus your upper management may question why you're bypassing their internet monitoring capabilities, if your company has them.

Last edited:
@Met-AL: keep in mind that what you're doing is a network security risk. Having your PC connected to your corporate LAN and an external untrusted/unfirewalled network at the same time is risky business. Your PC can potentially become a bridge that can directly connect the outside world to your company's internal network if your PC were to become compromised. A fireable offense at some companies with high security levels. That is why firewalls exist, and you are bypassing your corporate firewall. If your network administrator finds out, he will have your head. :p Plus your upper management may question why you're bypassing their internet monitoring capabilities, if your company has them.

Well since you had to bring that up :p..... you are correct.

Back