force 16AF?

trek554

[H]ard|Gawd
how do you force doom3 and quake4 to run at 16AF? ultra and high quality are both 8AF but i see the games benchmarked at 16AF all the time. xbitlabs said they set it in the global settings in control panel. thats bs because doom3 will overide any global and profile settings for AF.

trek554 said:
...thats bs because doom3 will overide any global and profile settings for AF.

Driver settings always supersede in-game settings. To get 16AF create a profile for the game in the driver set-up and select 16AF for it.

D3v01D said:
Driver settings always supersede in-game settings. To get 16AF create a profile for the game in the driver set-up and select 16AF for it.

THAT DOES NOT WORK! i already said that. in the doom3 profile you CANT change the AF setting.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Yes it does.

Create a CUSTOM profile.
how do you make a custom profile work? the global af setings have NO effect and the doom3 game profile does not allow you to set the af.

AF is called Anisotropic Filtering in your control panel. Just select doom 3 from your list, and click on Anisotropic Filtering. Than uncheck aplication controlled near the bottom. Move your slider to 16.

Talonz said:
Try nHancer, it's a very good profiling program for nVidia cards.

Why would I want to use that program?
The option to create new profiles are included in NVIDIA's drivers? :)
What extra does nHancer bring to the table?

Terra - Just curious...I have enoguh 3rd party software on my PC? :)

Terra said:
Why would I want to use that program?
The option to create new profiles are included in NVIDIA's drivers? :)
What extra does nHancer bring to the table?

Terra - Just curious...I have enoguh 3rd party software on my PC? :)

I run very few background applications, but this is a must have for me. It's very lightweight and it's much easier to use then the nVidia control panel for profiles. There are more options:

AA:
Multisampling, Supersampling, Combined
Gamma correction, transparency(MS and SS)

AF: 2x - 16x

Vsync, triple buffering

trilinear op, AF op, Anisotropic sampling op, negative LOD bias lock

It's all much more accessible, faster, and easier.

Talonz said:
I run very few background applications, but this is a must have for me. It's very lightweight and it's much easier to use then the nVidia control panel for profiles. There are more options:

AA:
Multisampling, Supersampling, Combined
Gamma correction, transparency(MS and SS)

AF: 2x - 16x

Vsync, triple buffering

trilinear op, AF op, Anisotropic sampling op, negative LOD bias lock

It's all much more accessible, faster, and easier.

Thx, I will give it a spin then :)

Terra - Thanks for the explanation :)

Firebat said:
AF is called Anisotropic Filtering in your control panel. Just select doom 3 from your list, and click on Anisotropic Filtering. Than uncheck aplication controlled near the bottom. Move your slider to 16.
one more time: THAT DOES NOT WORK. do you guys even own Doom3? you CANT move the DAMN slider for AF in the Doom3 profile. if you put your mouse over the slider you will get a message saying that that option is disabled because of a predefined default. the slider is grayed out anyway. thats the main reason i am asking how to change it.

trek554 said:
one more time: THAT DOES NOT WORK. do you guys even own Doom3? you CANT move the DAMN slider for AF in the Doom3 profile. if you put your mouse over the slider you will get a message saying that that option is disabled because of a predefined default. the slider is grayed out anyway. thats the main reason i am asking how to change it.

If you are not using SLI, try using the global profile and set that to 16xAF... ;)

Terra...

if i set 4xaa in the oblivion game profile but set 2xaa from the nVidia taskbar icon which would the game use?

Thanks

Terra said:
If you are not using SLI, try using the global profile and set that to 16xAF... ;)

Terra...
CAN YOU GUYS READ AT ALL?? the global setting does NOT change the AF in Doom3. i cant believe i ask for help and nobody takes the time to even read the damn thread.
EDIT: i figured it out by going to some other forums where people actually knew what they were talking about. you have to EDIT THE DOOM3 CONFIG BY using set image_anistropy "16" in the console.

trek554 said:
CAN YOU GUYS READ AT ALL?? the global setting does NOT change the AF in Doom3. i cant believe i ask for help and nobody takes the time to even read the damn thread.

The driver CP settings OVERIDES ANY IN-GAME SETTINGS!!!

Terra - Can you read that?! :mad:

Terra said:
The driver CP settings OVERIDES ANY IN-GAME SETTINGS!!!

Terra - Can you read that?! :mad:
it doesnt for DOOM3. i can set it to 16 AF in the global settings but it will still want be at 8af. i think it may work if i have no doom3 profile at all.
EDIT: still made no difference. you can change AF in the global settings but it does NOT actually change anything in Doom3. it looks exactly the same with 0,4,8, or 16 AF.

I can confirm that you cant change the af setting, its greyed out. Heres a screenie:

edit: typo

alekstasy said:
I can confirm that you cant change the af setting, its greyed out. Heres a screenie:

thank you. at least there is one person on here that is trying to help. i just played around with the AF in the global settings and made NO difference. 0,4,8, and 16 look exactly the same. i am not using the doom3 profile now so there is nothing set in there. i can change the settings in the game and that is the ONLY way except for messing around the config in the console to change the AF. you other people need try things out before making a comment.

alekstasy said:

Except:
trek CAN adjust it.
He said so in his last post.

and

take off application controlled ;).

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Except:
trek CAN adjust it.
He said so in his last post.

and

take off application controlled ;).
no you CANT take off application control in the profile and the global settings make no difference. you have to do config change to change to 16AF.

trek554 said:
no you CANT take off application control in the profile and the global settings make no difference. you have to do config change to change to 16AF.
Jeebers dude.

Just, forget about it.

The bglobal settings WILL WILL WILL override game settings. Trust me, I just tried id with an FX5200 for crying out loud.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Jeebers dude.

Just, forget about it.

The bglobal settings WILL WILL WILL override game settings. Trust me, I just tried id with an FX5200 for crying out loud.
no it doesnt i just tried it. once you set the game to low, med, high, or ultra within the game the AF setting in the global settings dont do anything. i tried 0 thru 16 and the game looked exactly the same on each. AF for Doom3 cant be changed in the control panel at all. thats why you dont even get the option to change it in the profile. you can only go to 16AF if you change the config.

trek554 said:
no it doesnt i just tried it. once you set the game to low, med, high, or ultra within the game the AF setting in the global settings dont do anything. i tried 0 thru 16 and the game looked exactly the same on each. AF for Doom3 cant be changed in the control panel at all. thats why you dont even get the option to change it in the profile. you can only go to 16AF if you change the config.

Then why dont you just change the config?

trek554 said:

Well I guees my software is lying then:
stupidmoron1aa.jpg

Found a place where NO lighting or anything else changes/moves and made a quicksave
I then took 2 screenshots, 1 with application controlled AF and 1 with 16xAF.
Only thing I tocuhed was the F10 button to take the screens via FRAPS
Just because 16xAF dosn't do much indoor in Doom3 compared to 8xAF, dosn't mean it isn't working :rolleyes:

If you PM me your email I can mail the screenies to you...2 x 3.75MB BMP's

Terra...

see where it says active profiel: (doom 3 under it)
change that to " - Global driver settings" shoudl be the first one. and DON'T click application controlled...it's not that difficult.

johnnq said:
see where it says active profiel: (doom 3 under it)
change that to " - Global driver settings" shoudl be the first one. and DON'T click application controlled...it's not that difficult.
i did that. i already said the AF in the global settings did not change anything in the game. it looks exactly the same with 0 thru 16 AF when using the global settings.

trek554 said:
i did that. i already said the AF in the global settings did not change anything in the game. it looks exactly the same with 0 thru 16 AF when using the global settings.

No exactly the same...99.10% the same...

Terra...

Terra said:
No exactly the same...99.10% the same...

Terra...
well 0 AA should be noticibly worse but it looked just like 4,8, and 16. i took screenshots too. i sent you my email.

Rename your Doom3.exe to something else, that way the nVidia control panel wont use that stuck AF profile application with it.

Sonicks said:
Rename your Doom3.exe to something else, that way the nVidia control panel wont use that stuck AF profile application with it.
not sure exactly how to do that. details please.

trek554 said:
well 0 AA should be noticibly worse but it looked just like 4,8, and 16. i took screenshots too. i sent you my email.

I have gotten it, and the pics should be in you inbox :)

Terra...

And remember, your eyes are a very poor "meter" to use.
Use software to determine the difference.

Terra - Your eyes may device you..but bits are bits ;)

Terra said:
And remember, your eyes are a very poor "meter" to use.
Use software to determine the difference.

Terra - Your eyes may device you..but bits are bits ;)
yep i see NO difference. yet the difference in low, med, and high for the in game settings is VERY apparent. if i put the game on low then turn the AF to 8 or 16 in global settings it doesnt change the way the game looks at all. same thing if i have it at high settings and change the AF in global to 0 AF it will look no worse. so it cant be doing anything. doom3 and quake4 are the only games that do this. all the other games i can see the difference if i change the AF setting in global settings.

trek554 said:
right click where? sorry i am a bit confused on what exactly i will be changing. :confused:
Go into your doom 3 folder. There will be the .exe that opens the actual game.

Rename that, and any other shortcut to the same thing.

trek554 said:
yep i see NO difference. yet the difference in low, med, and high for the in game settings is VERY apparent. if i put the game on low then turn the AF to 8 or 16 in global settings it doesnt change the way the game looks at all. same thing if i have it at high settings and change the AF in global to 0 AF it will look no worse. so it cant be doing anything. doom3 and quake4 are the only games that do this. all the other games i can see the difference if i change the AF setting in global settings.

You might not be able to se any difference, but run those images through some software...
They are not 100% alike...only 99.1% alike ;)

Terra...

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Go into your doom 3 folder. There will be the .exe that opens the actual game.

Rename that, and any other shortcut to the same thing.
YOU ARE THE MAN. NOW IT WORKS. i renamed everything doom 4 and set up a profile. now when i change the AFsettings it actually changes. thank you VERY much.

Back