For Win2K3: Symantec AV Corp 10.1 or AVG V8 File Server?

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I imagine everyone will say AVG... no on here seems to like Symantec anymore...

Hey guys, we're rebuilding one of our file servers and we have licenses for both Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.1 *and* AVG 8 File Server Edition.

My question, which is better? Please do not suggest Nod32 or KAV since we don't have those licenses. Just help me choose between SAV and AVG please... In terms of detection rate and footprint.

Thanks.

This happens quite a bit, it's weird but you get used to it, just a bug in the database.

avg hands down symantec/norton are beasts of a program, and eat resources like a fat kid at twinky camp.. while avg is slightly more bloated than it used to be, its still no where near as bad as smantic/norton.

That's why I said Symanted AV Corporate v10.1, not the bloated home edition or the 360. I think the corporate edition is fairly light (so I assume) but I was also worried about detection rate.. dont get much info at AV Comparatives.... on AVG 7.5 vs SAV 15.0

avg hands down symantec/norton are beasts of a program, and eat resources like a fat kid at twinky camp.. while avg is slightly more bloated than it used to be, its still no where near as bad as smantic/norton.

Between the two I would suggest SAV IMO

At least for a buisness, and you have the horses to run it

The box is just a dual core Opteron 180, but has 3GB of RAM. Right now after loading SAV, I have 2.2GB free. Aside from being a file server it also runs IIS and SQL Server 2005

Between the two I would suggest SAV IMO

At least for a buisness, and you have the horses to run it

Tough call....
Symantec is heavy, its buggy during push installs and doing program updates (you will learn how to manually remove it so you can attempt push installs again)...but it's detection rates are substantially better than AVGs.

Tough call....
Symantec is heavy, its buggy during push installs and doing program updates (you will learn how to manually remove it so you can attempt push installs again)...but it's detection rates are substantially better than AVGs.

I would prolly go with the Symantec AV for this machine..... YeOldeStonecat makes good pints though, and I do not think AVG is all that lite anymore....

I've only ever used Symantec Enterprise 10.1, but I think its a fine virus scanner and I appreciate all the options and configuration abilities allowed in the management console.

We used SAV here at my work (actually, our other offices still do but I don't work for the other offices) and it would often be hogging up several hundred MB of memory. In one case, a coworker reported ~450MB of memory usage by SAV.

Both products suck. I know you have the licenses but I really think for the piece of mind you should look into a good product like NOD32 or Avira AntiVir.

For the post order, the server probably synced its clock with some server and it seems to have been a few minutes off....

Back