For Those That Would Rather NOT Start From Scratch

PGHammer

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 8, 2002
Messages
3,315
I present to you three bargain-basement quad-core *starter* systems. While none would win any speed or gaming prizes as-is, any would be the starting point for a decent system, using a mere two upgrades (PSU and graphics).

Acer Aspire M5630: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8602407&type=product&id=1192232280889 (I chose the BB link because the link on Acer's own site was not cooperating)

Gateway GT5628: http://www.gateway.com/retail/gt5628.php

HP Elite m9040t: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do

None include integrated graphics, and all three have *natural* GPU upgrade paths (Gateway and HP to the 8800GT, and Acer to the HD 3870) that won't force you to go through driver histrionics. All three include DL DVD burners (HP's system, naturally, throws in LightScribe support), and all three can take *standard* replacement PSUs (such as PCP&C's Silencer 750Quad: http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-750-quad-black.html).

Acer and Gateway have the largest single hard drives (500 GB); the Gateway also has the largest amount of RAM (3 GB).

Just goes to show what can be done, even with a starter system, with judicious upgrading.
 
The HP link goes to an empty page for me.

That acer is a great value.
 
Wasn't there an HP/Compaq Q6600 system refurb for like $500? anyhow, those deals aren't too bad. I'd shop around more, though.
 
You should mention that none of these, at least that be my guess, have overclocking options. So if you want overclocking options, stay away.
 
You should mention that none of these, at least that be my guess, have overclocking options. So if you want overclocking options, stay away.

Overclocking a quad-core is not going to be easy, even if you build the system yourself; also, generally, overclockers *never* start with any part of a pre-built system (even a barebone); instead, they literally hand-select every component.
 
Overclocking a q6600 isnt all that difficult. just takes a little more patience and a bit more willingness to change voltages than dual cores. And thats not always necessary, depending on the level of Overclock. I have seen a couple q6600s do 3.0 and 3.2 without a change to voltage.
 
Overclocking a quad-core is not going to be easy, even if you build the system yourself;

If its a Core2Quad, I disagree. Narisatu's right. Core2's are some of the easiest chips to OC... ever.
 
If its a Core2Quad, I disagree. Narisatu's right. Core2's are some of the easiest chips to OC... ever.


Only with The Right Motherboard...which won't be found in a pre-built. Most pre-builts (and that includes all three that I named, as well as most above them) sport bargain-basement, though decent-quality, motherboards that are limited overclockers, if they allow it at all. For that reason I agree with an earlier post in this thread: if you want to overclock, build your own.
 
Wasn't there an HP/Compaq Q6600 system refurb for like $500? anyhow, those deals aren't too bad. I'd shop around more, though.

None of these are refurbs; all are available nationally (not regionally). The point was that I *didn't* look very hard. If I can find these without looking very hard, what else can be found with a more detailed search?

Besides, for refurbs, I recommend MicroCenter (http://www.microcenter.com) and Dell Outlet (http://www.dell.com/outlet).
 
I agree, its not hard to find better deals with sites like fatwallet, slickdeals, bensbargains, techbargains, gotapex, AT forums, and our own hot deals forum.
 
PGHammer said:
Only with The Right Motherboard...which won't be found in a pre-built. Most pre-builts (and that includes all three that I named, as well as most above them) sport bargain-basement, though decent-quality, motherboards that are limited overclockers, if they allow it at all. For that reason I agree with an earlier post in this thread: if you want to overclock, build your own.

the motherboard doesnt change the difficulty in overclocking a chip, just what, and even if, you can overclock. doesnt make it harder.
 
the motherboard doesnt change the difficulty in overclocking a chip, just what, and even if, you can overclock. doesnt make it harder.

Actually the mobo does change the difficulty in overclocking. Some mobos may not come with all of the setttings necessary to OC a CPU. These kind of settings include settings that adjust RAM or CPU Voltage, FSB and RAM ratios, ability to save different BIOs profiles, certain voltage levels not included in the default BIOS, etc. In addition, not all mobos can handle the stress of certain or high overclocks. So yes a mobo can affect the difficulty in overclocking.
 
Back
Top