For those that bit one the eBay Opty 8346HE's

Blue Fox - I speak for all of us when I say this...so make sure you're listening very carefully...you bastard

yes they are. I know this isn't much of a frame of reference (because it was IBM branded RAM...and that's always stooooooopid expensive), but I sold 64GB (8x8GB PC2-5300 ECC Reg) to a customer the other day. Our cost was $9763, customer price was just under $11k....ouch

yes they are. I know this isn't much of a frame of reference (because it was IBM branded RAM...and that's always stooooooopid expensive), but I sold 64GB (8x8GB PC2-5300 ECC Reg) to a customer the other day. Our cost was $9763, customer price was just under $11k....ouch
That's not too bad really. Retail on 8gb sticks is about $1k a pop from what I've seen. We'll see if I get to buy such stuff at work since there is no way I'll be doing for myself anytime soon. I talked to a sales rep from Extreme Networks yesterday about ordering a $150k switch, but ordering a ton of RAM isn't on the agenda. Even if we did get RAM, they would probably want HP branded stuff so it stays under warranty. I think I'll get 16gb though (8 x 2gb sticks).

Oh. I got confused because you mentioned ordering HP RAM. Then I reiterate my previous statement...you bastard

Indeed. On Thursday, I'll know if my case works. Only component I haven't ordered is cooling. It's also the most expensive part. :(

Indeed. On Thursday, I'll know if my case works. Only component I haven't ordered is cooling. It's also the most expensive part. :(

going water? Nice board. What was the final tally on board + RAM + CPUs?

going water? Nice board. What was the final tally on board + RAM + CPUs?
Yes. So far, ~$800ish. $80 less after the live cashback thing. Board wasn't cheap since I got a brand new one. I expect to spend $500ish on cooling. Also, I need to start a worklog. Suggestions on what to call it?

Yes. So far, ~$800ish. $80 less after the live cashback thing. Board wasn't cheap since I got a brand new one. I expect to spend $500ish on cooling. Also, I need to start a worklog. Suggestions on what to call it?

For everything except the cooling? Damn, that's not that expensive either. Makes me really want to acquire one of those boards.

Jealousy (thats how I feel and thats what you should call it)

[H]ard[H]itter
[H]exadecteron
QuadQuad
The Intel Punisher

Not looking good. Got all the other parts and well, it won't POST. Pretty much no indication of what is wrong. :(

for me, i hope it is because i need two sticks of ram per chip to make it post. You need 8 sticks minimum

And he may also need a dual core to get it to post, and also to do a flash, initially to get it support the quads.

for me, i hope it is because i need two sticks of ram per chip to make it post. You need 8 sticks minimum
I tried running 2 processors and 4 sticks of RAM with no luck.
And he may also need a dual core to get it to post, and also to do a flash, initially to get it support the quads.
Can I flash it in another board?

The only beep I've gotten out of the board is the single beep you get when turning it on/off. I pulled out all the memory and it was supposed to beep 5 times (but it didn't). Nothing else.

Hrmm. do you get a keyboard light at POST beep (you'll need a PS2 keyboard)? Have you verified that your board actually has support for the Barcelons B2/BA chips in the Agesa? Have you verified your RAM is on the QVL?

Hrmm. do you get a keyboard light at POST beep (you'll need a PS2 keyboard)? Have you verified that your board actually has support for the Barcelons B2/BA chips in the Agesa? Have you verified your RAM is on the QVL?
No light on the keyboard. Not checked on the processors (haven't found where actually). RAM is on the QVL.

Having looked up the BIOS revision, I think I need to flash it.

Put 1 cpu in socket 1, u can also use 1+3 to test or 1+2..
The way they tell u to put the ram in is different in the manual from how the SM tech supt agents tell u to put it in.. It's worth giving them a call and going thru it with em..

B

Put 1 cpu in socket 1, u can also use 1+3 to test or 1+2..
The way they tell u to put the ram in is different in the manual from how the SM tech supt agents tell u to put it in.. It's worth giving them a call and going thru it with em..

B
I tried 2 processors. I guess I'll try one. I will call Supermicro in the morning.

yeah when i get mine back I'm starting with 1 and working up from there..
the 1+3 thing was to test if socket 2 was bad, turns out it was. even tho it wouldnt post with 1+3 on my end.. it'd post with 1.. and no more.. bleh..

Supermicro says my BIOS is too old. Hopefully that will fix the problem (I'll find out Monday). In the meantime, I get to mod the case to accomodate the odd mounting holes on the motherboard (only the lower half fits properly).

Update on H8QME-2 mobo
Mine came back from SM today with an awful "tested ok" note.. - never a good sign..
Still couldnt get it to post with 1 cpu, no beeps with no ram etc, no joy on 8346, 8347 or 2347 cpu's...

Just got off phone with SM tech support. I got a little suprise and one of those key pieces of information not mentioned anywhere ! the H8QME-2 does not support Quad core CPU's until HARDWARE revision 2.01.. and my PCB revision is 1.01..

:(

oh crap. that really sucks. RMA #2 and hope for a rev 2.x board? don't know what to tell you. We knew from the get that quad CPU support was going to be a tough nut to crack. Thankfully, most have gotten boards that worked (took me two times). So what will you do now, and how many CPUs do you have? It sounds like you have 6 CPUs, 2x of each. I'd be selling off a pair or two and keeping the best ones (with the least headache, like the 2347's) in order to get a real nice board for them.

I have 2 H8QMI's that are being repaired at SM just now, 8 x 8347's, 2 8346's and 2x 2347's..
My kid is building a rig around the 2347's on a Tyan N3600r mobo. I had planned to put the 2 8346's on the H8QME.. Bluefox has the same motherboard and hardware rev as me, but they just told him that he just needed to update the bios... so we'll see.. my H8QME mobo bios is 1.0B. So it could go either way at this stage...

I have 2 H8QMI's that are being repaired at SM just now, 8 x 8347's, 2 8346's and 2x 2347's..
My kid is building a rig around the 2347's on a Tyan N3600r mobo. I had planned to put the 2 8346's on the H8QME.. Bluefox has the same motherboard and hardware rev as me, but they just told him that he just needed to update the bios... so we'll see.. my H8QME mobo bios is 1.0B. So it could go either way at this stage...

I didn't tihnk I'd say this, especially about someone that's a n00bie...YOU NEED MORE HELP THAN BlueFox, axan, nitrobass24, and Ockie....PUT TOGETHER.

return the board since you bought it new, and do some more research man. Trust me, I'm in the same position that you are in. I needed a BIOS chip pgrade. just pop it through, see what can be done. maybe a new bios chip is all you need?

Back