Fooling around with servers and need some help mounting them.

They need to come from HP(or 3rd party that fits HP). Check ebay and make sure they fit a G5(G6 and G7 may not fit).

The easiest thing to do would be to call HP and say you need a DL380 G5 rail kit.

Be aware that there are also a few different ways of attatching equipment to racks afaict (i've only had very brief dealings with rackmount gear myself) there are three main systems.

Threaded hole racks were the oldest system, the hole in the rack is threaded for the bolts, simple but if the thread gets damaged you have a BIG problem.
The next system was circular holes into which caged nuts were clipped.
Finally the most modern system involves square holes in the rack which the equipment is directly hooked/clipped, you can also get caged nuts for this style of rack

You need to check that the rail kit you get is compatible with what your rack uses and if nessacery buy caged nuts.

The problem comes when I buy a used HP DL380 G5 server. There is nothing to mount it to the rack. Do I have to buy mounts/whatever seperatly?

If so what/where do I buy them.

When you buy "used" servers....usually they come without the rails. Sometimes they will come with the rails...or...you may see the seller put "rails available at extra cost" in the ad. So...shop, and read, carefully. If you're looking for servers at some server supply warehouse fleabay super store...look around their storefront for a section about rails, or call or message them asking about rails.

Thanks for all the help.

Bought a new hp rail kit for that server for $60 on ebay.

Yep it's equipment specific. When buying a rackmount server always ensure it comes with rails if not you need to source out the rails for that server.

Threaded vs square vs round holes is usually interchangable. The squares use cage nuts which give you a threaded hole. The hole racks the bolt usually goes through and the thread is on the rail itself. Keep in mind in some cases it will not work with certain rails. I personally prefer square hole racks as they are probably the most compatible.

Replace servers with girls in the title and we have the best thread ever.

Some rails wont work with certain racks either :(

I bought a ups and I could not figure out how to use the manufactures rails.

On the rails, it has screw hols, and on my 4 post rack it has screw hols, so im not to sure how they work.

Some servers that i see have the same setup, but how the hell to you use those say you had a 4 post rack with square holes & t-nuts, hows that gonna work when you have 2 pieces that have threads.

If you buy Dell, the "ready rails" just pop into the square holes, no screws needed.

Some rails wont work with certain racks either :(

I bought a ups and I could not figure out how to use the manufactures rails.

On the rails, it has screw hols, and on my 4 post rack it has screw hols, so im not to sure how they work.

Some servers that i see have the same setup, but how the hell to you use those say you had a 4 post rack with square holes & t-nuts, hows that gonna work when you have 2 pieces that have threads.

If you have a relay rack style screw hole rack you just use rack bolts and be done with it. With square hole racks when you have equipment that needs bolts you use rack nuts (cage nuts, whatever you want to call em). Simple as that.

If you have a relay rack style screw hole rack you just use rack bolts and be done with it. With square hole racks when you have equipment that needs bolts you use rack nuts (cage nuts, whatever you want to call em). Simple as that.

even with the rails.

Back