Folding1 hitting 100+ degrees

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Today has been one humid and hot day, and also marks the day I officially turned on the a/c for the year. I was walking by the guest bedroom where the folding rigs are to check on things, and noticed that folding1 had hit a max of 100+ degrees earlier in the day. Cores 1-3 hit 97,99,99 and Core 4 hit 101 according to CoreTemp. The problem is that I am unable to determine when this happened since it was running in the low 70's at the time I checked on it.

What do you guys think happened? This happened once during the winter where CoreTemp showed all a max temp for all 4 cores at 100 degrees, but with it running in the 50's when I was checking on it.

Do you guys think something happened and it actually got that hot at one point, or do you think this is a CoreTemp glitch? Either way, i'm pretty sure both folding rigs are in a desperate need for cleaning.

I wonder if the cpu fan stopped spinning at some poitn........

Checking the fans may be an option. Cleaning it would help as well. So far core temp has been pretty good for me. Although it would be nice to get a temperature monitor that keeps a long of temperature, and its corresponding time/date. I doubt that the heat sink is loose but you never know. You may want to monitor the temps of the room since that will directly relate to what the coolers will be sucking in.

Looks like the fan stopped spinning. Just replace the fan and get your current fan off the cpu header and onto a 12v molex connection.

Even if it's dirty right now I would still replace it just to be sure it will not happen again. Could be a problem with the bearings.

I'd start with looking at the fan.

In regards to setting up logging as Untitledone mentions, to do this with CoreTemp, open CoreTemp and select Tools and check Logging On. CoreTemp will then start creating a spreadsheet of temperature readings. The spreadsheet will be located in the CoreTemp folder.

To set the logging intervals: Options>Settings>General. The default is 10 seconds so the file will get big pretty quick.

In regards to setting up logging as Untitledone mentions, to do this with CoreTemp, open CoreTemp and select Tools and check Logging On. CoreTemp will then start creating a spreadsheet of temperature readings. The spreadsheet will be located in the CoreTemp folder.

To set the logging intervals: Options>Settings>General. The default is 10 seconds so the file will get big pretty quick.

How CPU intensive do you think this logging feature is? I definately don't want to take away from it producing points.

Both of my folding rigs are currently running a Cogage with the stock 120mm fan that came with it.

i'd blame coretemp before saying the computer was actually running 100C. my core temp shows random numbers for recorded high/low temps. i've had it say my low temp was 20C which is 100% impossible. i've also seen it say my high temp was 95C which is obviously impossible with a phenom II processor. so i take anything that says with a grain of salt. unless i see it saying the actual temp i ignore the min/max temp's.

i'd blame coretemp before saying the computer was actually running 100C. my core temp shows random numbers for recorded high/low temps. i've had it say my low temp was 20C which is 100% impossible. i've also seen it say my high temp was 95C which is obviously impossible with a phenom II processor. so i take anything that says with a grain of salt. unless i see it saying the actual temp i ignore the min/max temp's.

Maybe i'll try switching to RealTemp for a while just for fun.

I looked through my log since the last time I checked on it this morning to find evidence of the processor throttling back due to temps. Every frame had a TPF of around 36 min except for one which was at just over 37 minutes. I wonder whether the fan actually did shut down for a moment. I know that the multiple processor folks can see some wild fluctuations that might be considered normal, but the TPF's in both folding rigs are pretty much as constant.

Thanks for the awesome tidbit tj! I will have to check it out next time I see my folding rig!
How CPU intensive do you think this logging feature is? I definately don't want to take away from it producing points.

Both of my folding rigs are currently running a Cogage with the stock 120mm fan that came with it.

I dont know how much of a performance impact it is yet. I would assume if you set it to a longer interval than the default 10 seconds it should not be a problem. Maybe 1 minute or more.

You may want to look into it more. I know phenom's run cool though, I have a phenom 1 9600BE with a slight overclock on stock cooling and its usually rock solid around 38-42C. On the issue of the low temp, I have seen this as well, and I attribute it to the fact that there is some downtime somewhere in the F@H upload/download or something. It only takes a few seconds for the cores to drop to near ambient when the load is taken off.

Maybe i'll try switching to RealTemp for a while just for fun.

I looked through my log since the last time I checked on it this morning to find evidence of the processor throttling back due to temps. Every frame had a TPF of around 36 min except for one which was at just over 37 minutes. I wonder whether the fan actually did shut down for a moment. I know that the multiple processor folks can see some wild fluctuations that might be considered normal, but the TPF's in both folding rigs are pretty much as constant.

That definitely sounds like the fan is cutting out. I had a 120mm coolermaster fan in back of my centurion 5 that eventually came loose on its shaft a bit, enough that it moved a bit a way from the magnets and would vibrate horribly, and lose a huge amount of RPM. Eventually it would walk all the way on its shaft untill it stopped. I would replace it, and see if that solves your problem. If not there may be a more serious problem going on.

You may want to look into it more. I know phenom's run cool though, I have a phenom 1 9600BE with a slight overclock on stock cooling and its usually rock solid around 38-42C. On the issue of the low temp, I have seen this as well, and I attribute it to the fact that there is some downtime somewhere in the F@H upload/download or something. It only takes a few seconds for the cores to drop to near ambient when the load is taken off.

with my setup, its not possible, my temps go up at idle, not down. this pos asus board has an asinine amount of Vdroop, idle voltage at 3.5Ghz is 1.56v, full load is 1.395v so my processor actually idles higher then it runs under full load.

Try realtemp, it's been designed with intel features in mind(better accuracy)

lol @ sirmonkey's higher idle temps :)

I've never seen a fan stop temporarily IIRC.

with my setup, its not possible, my temps go up at idle, not down. this pos asus board has an asinine amount of Vdroop, idle voltage at 3.5Ghz is 1.56v, full load is 1.395v so my processor actually idles higher then it runs under full load.

Wow, that is some epic stuff right there! I haven't had that happen before. That doesn't sound like it is too good on the processor. How are your overclocks?

It is way more disk-intensive than CPU-intensive, so I doubt you will see a difference when logging. I'd still set it to log every 5 minutes or more if you do it.

I can tell you from experience that if the fan does in fact die, you will hit 100C in a heartbeat. I had one go out and I fortunately caught it pretty quickly. That same fan was hit an miss for quite a while - I'd show 101 max temp, but the current temps were in the 70's. It might have been a CoreTemp issue, but swapping fans stopped the high max recordings completely.

I don't think its a Core Temp problem since all of the temp sensors are read individually and they each reported temps that were close.

I have seen situations where a fan was running perfectly fine 99.99% of the time and would sometimes just stop momentarily and then get moving again shortly after. Its not a common way for fans to die, but it does happen.

Fans are <$10, seems like a wise investment to buy a new one.

I'm pretty much bedridden right now with a bad case of the flu, but cleaning out folding1 and replacing a bunch of fans(the 2 SilenX fans have been dead for a while) are currently at the top of my priority when I am able to get around. I can't believe that I caught the flu like this, and it is just kicking my ass for the time being.

If I get adventurous, maybe i'll even remove the Cogage HS, reapply fresh paste, and reseat it just to rule it out. In the past, i've never removed the HS before when doing a cleaning as I just blast it with compressed air while still attatched.

I decided to finally clean out my folding rigs today, as I stopped by Costco and bought a 6 pack of computer duster in a can. You guys who said that my Cogage cpu cooler's fan was failing nailed it as I saw it for myself. After I cleaned out both rigs, I hooked them back up in the guest bedroom and turned them on. Folding1 started making some wierd noises inside the case as soon as I turned it on, and I noticed the temps were climbing when I fired up CoreTemp. I opened up the panel and saw it for myself as the Cogage's fan was trying to spin up but was struggling. I shut down the folding client and it eventually spun up the full speed, so I started the client up again. I probably should leave folding1 off until I have a chance to replace the fan, but so far it is running okay as I won't have a chance until maybe after Memorial Day.

Either way, cooling out both rigs made a big difference as folding1 is running 12 degrees cooler, and folding2 is running 6 degrees cooler. You guys have no idea how plugged up the fins on the Cogage were after running 24/7 for over a year.

I decided to finally clean out my folding rigs today, as I stopped by Costco and bought a 6 pack of computer duster in a can. You guys who said that my Cogage cpu cooler's fan was failing nailed it as I saw it for myself. After I cleaned out both rigs, I hooked them back up in the guest bedroom and turned them on. Folding1 started making some wierd noises inside the case as soon as I turned it on, and I noticed the temps were climbing when I fired up CoreTemp. I opened up the panel and saw it for myself as the Cogage's fan was trying to spin up but was struggling. I shut down the folding client and it eventually spun up the full speed, so I started the client up again. I probably should leave folding1 off until I have a chance to replace the fan, but so far it is running okay as I won't have a chance until maybe after Memorial Day.

Either way, cooling out both rigs made a big difference as folding1 is running 12 degrees cooler, and folding2 is running 6 degrees cooler. You guys have no idea how plugged up the fins on the Cogage were after running 24/7 for over a year.

....get a 3 gallon air compressor.....better than compressed air :D

....get a 3 gallon air compressor.....better than compressed air :D

I thought about it, but I like the compactness of a compressed air can better. I do have a portable compressor for my car that I carry around in the trunk, but the manual states not to use it when there is no pressure on it.

I thought about it, but I like the compactness of a compressed air can better. I do have a portable compressor for my car that I carry around in the trunk, but the manual states not to use it when there is no pressure on it.

Does it have a tank? Most potable air compressors dont have one to save space, weight, size, and money. They use the tire as the tank, and will only build pressure when it is connected to the tire. Otherwise it is just a really crappy fan that wouldnt make much volume.

to each their own, but you can save some good $$ by getting even a cheap 3 gallon compressor/tank , since compressed air gets expensive :D plus the compressor does a better job IMO

to each their own, but you can save some good $$ by getting even a cheap 3 gallon compressor/tank , since compressed air gets expensive :D plus the compressor does a better job IMO

yeah compressed air is WAY more effective. I was at a farm cleaning machines and they had a big hose and a 200 psi (or so) system. I had to hold the nozzle with both hands and kept it two feet from the computer to keep it from blowing the case over. Yep it was clean when I was done.

Back