• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Folding With Centrino CPUs

TheJackal

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
1,464


well, i said before that my cpu would run a little too hot for my liking when folding and i had to lower it. check out what happened when i undervolted it! totally awesome. just thought i'd like to share that. :D

it's now running at 50% cpu usage.

oh, and where it says timing estimate, that is now 3 minutes and so and so seconds to complete one frame. when i had it running at 20% cpu usage, it would be 27 minutes.
 
Hey, if it's running cooler while undervolted, why don't you go ahead and push the CPU usage back up? Mobile chips can take higher temperatures than their desktop cousins.
 
i did push the cpu usage back up! it was at 20% and now it's at 50%. i'll try running it at 100% and let you guys know how it does.
 
I run my P4 mobile 2Ghz at 100% and it hits 160*F, but it takes it nicely. It used to run at 190*F before I cleaned out the CPU cooler.

Want to get that sucker running even faster? Run the console. You'll thank yourself.

 
I run a Pentium-M Dothan 1.6 (laptop in sig) with Folding... I also use CHC to undervolt. 1.084v from 1.340v, made a very nice difference (and I tested in Prime95 stable for 24+hrs before I folded with it).

Right now it's sitting pretty at 49C under 100%. Using the advanced settings in the console, F@H pauses when I switch to battery power.

I got no complaints.
 
chileman said:
Want to get that sucker running even faster? Run the console. You'll thank yourself.


that would be a negative. :(

the console no worky on my laptop but i figure that the graphical one is best for me. i run the console on my desktop though, so that's crunching away.
 
TheJackal said:
that would be a negative. :(

the console no worky on my laptop but i figure that the graphical one is best for me. i run the console on my desktop though, so that's crunching away.
that's odd. what seems to be the problem when you run the console?
 
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=954951

actually, it worked once and then it didn't work after i configured norton so i just figured that i'd leave it on the graphical version. is it worth my time to try the console? i mean, i still don't understand all the benefits of console other than it's more advanced.
 
TheJackal said:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=954951

actually, it worked once and then it didn't work after i configured norton so i just figured that i'd leave it on the graphical version. is it worth my time to try the console? i mean, i still don't understand all the benefits of console other than it's more advanced.

There have been issues with stability with the console. Also, you don't have the CPU usage of having to redraw the protein every few seconds. Plus having the service mode on the console gives it that "set it and forget it" feel.

 
for some reason the service thing never works. it doesn't work on my desktop and i have it enabled. i'll install the console now and see how it goes on my laptop. :)
 
TheJackal said:
for some reason the service thing never works. it doesn't work on my desktop and i have it enabled. i'll install the console now and see how it goes on my laptop. :)

Describe not working. Do you not see it in the services console in the Control Panel. And if you do, is it started?

 
arg screw it! i installed the F@H console thing, ran it, installed EMIII, ran that, and all the files for F@H were ascew and i kept clicking the console install one and it seems like you can't make a short cut for it. every time i'd close it, i would re install it and that would put all those files on the desktop. i think i'll keep the graphical version. :(
 
TheJackal said:
arg screw it! i installed the F@H console thing, ran it, installed EMIII, ran that, and all the files for F@H were ascew and i kept clicking the console install one and it seems like you can't make a short cut for it. every time i'd close it, i would re install it and that would put all those files on the desktop. i think i'll keep the graphical version. :(
you should read the sticky about how to install the console version.

the reason it kept re-installing is becasue you kept running the install file

you should choose to install it as a service -- then you never have to click anything (it'll run in the background, upon startup)

 
alright i'll read that and then give it another shot. as of right now, i have to study for spanish. :cool:
 
TheJackal said:
alright i'll read that and then give it another shot. as of right now, i have to study for spanish. :cool:
fair enough

no way! i'm studying for Spanish too!! rock on! :cool:

 
Carnival Forces said:
fair enough

no way! i'm studying for Spanish too!! rock on! :cool:


lol we have so much in common, folding and spanish!

any who, i got it working, i just moved the exe file to my documents before i opened it and then moved all that crap into it's own F@H folder.



thanks for your help guys. :)
 
TheJackal said:
lol we have so much in common, folding and spanish!

any who, i got it working, i just moved the exe file to my documents before i opened it and then moved all that crap into it's own F@H folder.



thanks for your help guys. :)
Do I spy Denise Richards?
:cool:

Glad you got this all worked out.
 
AtomicMoose said:
Do I spy Denise Richards?
:cool:

Glad you got this all worked out.

hell yeah, and does say "Denise Richards" in the bottom corner. :D

i posted it in wallpaper mania and desktop screen shots. but, if anyone wants to be lazy and not look there, here it is. :)


richards3.jpg


i <3 her. she's so hott.
 
marty said:
needs more boobs
Not in this forum it doesn't. Keep in mind that some of us are very happily married and object to such images. Save it for somewhere else, please.
 
Mohonri said:
Not in this forum it doesn't. Keep in mind that some of us are very happily married and object to such images. Save it for somewhere else, please.


married guys don't like boobs? My god, the horror
 
Rediculous...if this is true I will never marry. :p

This DC area is always so different compared to the rest of the forum. Strange people. :D

 
Mohonri said:
Not in this forum it doesn't. Keep in mind that some of us are very happily married and object to such images. Save it for somewhere else, please.


I also spend most of my computer course class time reading here (most my on campus time in general, actually), and the people behind me dont need to see boobs flash across my screen when I should be learning how to 'computer' like they are :p

Too bad I can't undervolt my Turion :( :mad: :( Nothing in the BIOS, and I'm 99% sure Clockgen or nothing like that would work with it.
 
marty9876 said:
ok, works for me

Please post them too

Mary for the win!!!

Yeah, you won't see that much more if ever so enjoy it while you have it. :eek: ;)

 
just a question. Why is your clock showing as 600 mhz? are you on battery? My sister will be getting a centrino laptop soon and this thread came across as interesting.
 
marty9876 said:
ok, works for me

Please post them too
Touche. But you don't get to see them. Only I get to. There aren't any pics anyway. So ha.

Back on topic, I was wondering the same thing about the 600MHz. Better double-check your SpeedStep settings.
 
My laptop keeps showing a low number of mhz as well. I saw a program that was available that would let you control the centrino tech options. I have been meaning to mess around with it, but I find myself spending too much time looking at boobs (kidding). :p

 
Mohonri said:
Touche. But you don't get to see them. Only I get to. There aren't any pics anyway. So ha.

Don't be too sure of that. :D ;)

 
i have my cpu in battery performance mode so it runs at a constant 600MHz. i had it at dynamic switching, but it would switch back and forth each second so i just figured to leave it on this. it keeps the heat in the 40s instead of the 50s so that means the fan isn't always running.

face it, at least i'm folding it. :p
 
CaptRingold said:
I also spend most of my computer course class time reading here (most my on campus time in general, actually), and the people behind me dont need to see boobs flash across my screen when I should be learning how to 'computer' like they are :p

Too bad I can't undervolt my Turion :( :mad: :( Nothing in the BIOS, and I'm 99% sure Clockgen or nothing like that would work with it.

Centrino Hardware Control (http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm#anchor_download) says it will begin to support AMD CPUs in the next couple weeks, keep an eye out for that one... I love the features it gives my Centrino now.

EDIT - I run my laptop at Max Perf (constant full speed) when on AC, and max batt when on batt. I don't really care if my laptop's fan runs 24/7 - I'm operating on the idea that it's at least as good of quality as the fans in the average desktop machine, and I have desktop fans that have been running 24/7 for god knows how many years. Plus, should it fail... well, my 3-year service plan will cover it.
 
CaptRingold said:
I also spend most of my computer course class time reading here (most my on campus time in general, actually), and the people behind me dont need to see boobs flash across my screen when I should be learning how to 'computer' like they are :p

lol i know, i saw this thread had responses while during my study hall in the library and i refrained from opening it. :D
 
Back
Top