Folding Question

Papa-Ming

2[H]4U
Does the box have to be connected 24/7 ?

Can one "resume" a protein they were folding the day before?

The system does not need to be on 24/7.

The client should start back over on the protein where it left off when it was stopped.

Many of use prefer to leave our machines on 24/7 for the most production possible but it would be impossible to expect everyone to do that. That is why it resumes where it left off.

OK. I was really wondering about that.

Also, I dropped DSL @ $50.00 a month last year, so I'm on Dial-up again.

I can see that might be a nightmare. Yes?

Ha Ha Ha :D No, nevermind, I know it would be. It's alright nevermind.

It's not necesarily a nightmare, it is really annoying though. I'm temporarily back on broadband for the moment so everything is a lot easier for me for the moment. I was on dial up for a long while and I just had to make sure that I was around when work units finished so I could make sure they were sent back. It was not feasible for me to have it connect whenever it needed to send a work unit and get a new one. Usually, I told the client to have it ask to connect before sending/receiving and I would run two instances of folding. That way, when one finished, the other was still going. Then, when I had a chance, I would connect to the internet and send the finished results and get a new work unit. This didn't work perfectly but it worked well enough.

How does receiving/sending work units in batches work for dialup users? I have seen the option installing the clients and never used it. Might be something to look into.

Or as SmokeRngs suggested, you can just run multiple instances of F@H in different folders so when one WU is done, the other instances will get more CPU time.

dr_dirtnap said:
How does receiving/sending work units in batches work for dialup users? I have seen the option installing the clients and never used it. Might be something to look into.

Or as SmokeRngs suggested, you can just run multiple instances of F@H in different folders so when one WU is done, the other instances will get more CPU time.

Thanks.

Can you clarify that last passage a bit more.

Wait no, I'm working on it. This is cool.

Papa,
You've got a very fast CPU so you could run 2 instances in different directories and if one finishes the other would use the spare CPU time effectively. If you've got hyperthreading enabled you might even see an improvement in output. (Up to 15% mor WU per BillR)

You would need to use the -local switch and set the machine ID for each one differently.

This would require you to be running the console version and do a small bit of registry editing. Let me know if you'd like detailed instructions.

...and yeah...it's really cool. :)

Yes, HT enabled.

Affirmative on "detailed instruction help"

I'm not afraid to alter the registry. I've edited it and cleaned out drivers etc, before.

But unsure what to do here.

Thank-you

I'm assuming you run NT, 2k or XP since the console version will not run as a service in 98 or ME..and since you are running HT enabled. ;)

If you downloaded the graphical version of [email protected] should uninstall it first.
Download the no-nonsense console version v5.02 (or later)
Put this file in as many separate directories as you want instances of f@h and run each one in turn...each will start up and go through a config.

In the configuration you will be prompted to add your username, team # 33, "yes" to run as a service and set the machine Id differently for each instance(in advanced options I believe)

You can rerun the configuration at any time by
1. running a command prompt
2. navigating to the f@h directory
3. running <console executable file> -config
so if you goof up or are unsure...just run the config again.

Remember that the configuration is unique to each instance/directory.

BTW You stop the client with ctrl+c while it is visible or by stopping the service in the task manager if it's already a running as a service.

You can also change some options by editing the client.cfg file in the f@h directory. (some find it easier to change the machine ID this way rather than using the -config switch)

You can use machine IDs 1 through 4. allowing up to 4 instances of f@h per machine.

Other options (like the -local switch which tells f@h to use the local configuration in the directory rather than the registry) must be typed into the registry at:

HKey_local_machine
system
CurrentControlSet
services
FAH@<drive letter>+<path>+fah500-console.exe
edit "image path"
so that it says <driveletter><path>fah500-console.exe -svcstart -local

Clear as mud?
Let me know if it makes sense.

relic said:
so that it says <driveletter><path>fah500-console.exe -svcstart -local

Also for a HyperThreading machine, you may want to add -advmethods -forceasm