Folding on HP Cloud Services - already happening!

Money is likely better sent straight to a lab or a fund than put to folding. Folding is great if you have the hardware, or want the hardware, but spending money on points isn't the best use of the money when looking for cures. But that won't stop me from playing with them while in beta.

Last edited:
I just put in an app for a private beta account. I'm curious what they'd end up billing for this over time... could be a more cost effective way of adding more D

Hoth, my intention here was to just keep H Folders abreast of developments. Hell yeah, I agree, I would not pay someone else to do my Folding either. This new development though, I'm sure will be a lot of fun for some folks here, even if nothing more than the adventure of trying something new. And no money needed while it's beta. Who knows, if the cost isn't too high post beta, there might be Folders with more enthusiasm than money, who could afford a monthly hosting fee (cloud fee) but not a big home power bill and endless computer upgrade costs.

I'd share it with my own team as well, except the enthusiasm level is such that they probably wouldn't even read the post...but that's another issue.

I just put in an app for a private beta account. I'm curious what they'd end up billing for this over time... could be a more cost effective way of adding more D

Folding on the cloud just does not seem like folding to me. Hey look at how many points my HP cloud is making me I built it from the keyboard of my computer. While it may or may not be more cost effective I do not see where the feeling and satisfaction of accomplishment would come in. Just my 2 cents :confused:

Hoth, my intention here was to just keep H Folders abreast of developments.

I'd share it with my own team as well, except the enthusiasm level is such that they probably wouldn't even read the post...but that's another issue.

Your intentions are great, I'm just not sure you are allowed to post threads from other forums here. I don't know, I only said that to keep you from getting into trouble. I must say though, that guide is probably the most easiest F@H setup and most well written guide I've ever read! ;)

Well, this team has already had a nice discussion about the HPCS beta. You should pop into the IRC some time, you'll find there are almost always people in there ready to discuss just about any topic. Who knows, maybe you will like the enthusiasm, and join team 33!

You can post links to other sites, it isn't a problem at all.

I know some of us played with the amazon cloud severs and it was a bit underwhelming as far as the results.

You should pop into the IRC some time, you'll find there are almost always people in there ready to discuss just about any topic. Who knows, maybe you will like the enthusiasm, and join team 33!
I consider your invite to both the IRC and Team 33 to be an honor. IRC: I haven't had an IRC client running in years. I guess it's time to try that again. Teams: if I were to change teams, I would join the [H]orde. I've been with my current team for 10 years and was a co-founder. I can't walk away from that.

No, I wouldn't get much satisfaction from 'cloud' Folding either, but some people would, I'm sure. If my budget were so constrained that my power bill had to be bare bones minimal, I think a HPCS Folder might be quite attractive, just to stay active in our great endeavor.

Last edited:
pretty nice at 60k ppd. Unfortunately my linuxfu is too weak for anything other than a blatantly spelled out "type this" musky style guide lol.

I can probably make it work but haven't gotten a response to my beta invite request yet. If I do get accepted I will make us a nice guide.

I can probably make it work but haven't gotten a response to my beta invite request yet. If I do get accepted I will make us a nice guide.

I was browsing EVGA forums the other day and someone there had been told by HPCS that the beta program was currently full. <shrug>

Got my invites and running 20 cores. Not a Linux person so it took me a while to find the easy setup guide using just putty. Fine fine, Link taken down so I can start a guide.

Last edited:
Eew how dare you post that EVGA guide here! Let's write our own!

Also, I too have got a few machines spun up. For the Horde!

forget it, I was going to make something useful. No point.

Last edited:
Great work travanx! FWIW...

Name this file your instance ID, i-xxxxxxa0, as you will have 3 of these for the 3 servers you are creating.
The key doesn't change - you can use the same one for all your servers.

I put in an application last night and today I got an activation code. I'm going to play around with it later tonight

I just got in now. Where is the notice saying you can only use 20 cores? My email says I can use up to '5 instances'

I just got in now. Where is the notice saying you can only use 20 cores? My email says I can use up to '5 instances'

If you want 5 instances, then they all need to have 4 processors each.

If you want 5 instances, then they all need to have 4 processors each.

At least with mine, it is 5 instances across 2 Compute clusters. So, I can run 4 x 8 VCPU servers and 1 x 4 VCPU server. Seems to work fine.

At least with mine, it is 5 instances across 2 Compute clusters. So, I can run 4 x 8 VCPU servers and 1 x 4 VCPU server. Seems to work fine.

Are they allowing folks onto AZ1? When I set up yesterday, they said to only create VM's on AZ2....

Are they allowing folks onto AZ1? When I set up yesterday, they said to only create VM's on AZ2....

On the Connect portion of the HPCS website, I'm seeing this now -
Customers currently in the Private Beta can now use BOTH US West 2 - AZ1 & AZ2 for all Compute Instance builds.
We are requesting that Private Beta customers limit their instance creation to 5 instances. Overall account limits are any combination of 20 instances, 20 floating IPs, 20 VCPUs, 200 GB Ram, or 1000 GB HardDrive.

So I have 6 instances up. We'll see how well they do.

Got 20 cores (3 instances) running FAH SMP.

Anybody try to run BOINC?

I got as far as attaching to WCG via the command line interface and downloading 1 GFAM WU, but it wouldn't start running.

Looks like I've got an instance that went unresponsive. Nothing happening with putty, web server, reboot server controls...

lol the cloud servers on AZ2 all just went down, including the website.

Either that, or one of their routers to Europe went kaput.

[EDIT]: running processes stayed up so it looks like they're having some network issues.

I chatted with tech support a little while ago and they said they are trying to figure out what the issue is.

2x instances on HPCS (one has a 6903)
1x instance on EC2 (micro instance)

Note micro instance = SLOW!

Back