Folding on a netbook?

lilfiend

Supreme [H]ardness
I have my netbook running all the time plugged into the wall as a basic ftp server and was wondering if it would be worth the extra 2 watts or so to fold.

its an atom n270 1.6ghz (overclocked 100% stable at 2008mhz) and has 2gb ram with a 40gb ssd in it. all it does is keep a routine backup of all my sites, this goes on about once a day and doesnt really take up any cpu power.

ive installed the client and have it running just now, looks like i should be making 400-600ppd, but it only shows as using 50% cpu, its not utilizing the hyperthreading and i was wondering if i would be able to use the smp (dual core thing right?) command and still make the deadlines to try to get a few more ppd out of it.

edit: also a side question, is it worth it to have my ps3 fold? from what i gather it only gets about 1k ppd and it takes up a hell of a lot more power then my 9w (with screen on under full load) netbook

thats because you are running the uni-processor.. aka the old client.. you should be able to run 2 instances of the client.. the SMP client will definitely not work on that system but you may get away with running the 2 uni processor clients..

as far as the ps3 goes its up to you and if its worth the power usage..

alright, was wondering how well an atom 330 with ion chipset would fair also as i have one of those set up as a media server just now, could get it folding too ;)

with an ion an an atom 330 would it be better to do smp or gpu?

To be honest I think the electricity you'd spend folding on the PS3 would be wasted to the point where you could just build an i7 rig or a rig with a fermi and fold... More cost now but..if you game you would get much more utility from it..

I had my atom OC'd and running for a week non stop, only got about 300 points per week, not worth the stress on the netbook

my next net book had the same CPU and an 8300gs,but it wasn't enough to fold GPU wise either

my current netbook can kinda fold, it's got a core2 at 1.73 that only gets 1000 ppd and an gt 335m or something like that that gets like 1500, even then it's not worth it really. 72 shaders with 512mb ram and a 1.73 core2 does make for a killer gaming netbook tho :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

But no atom will really fold well, the architecture isn't the same as standard desktop CPUs, it's not designed for tasks like folding, it's designed to surf the web

my VERY first netbook had the 900mhz celeron, at 1.1 ghz it folded better than the 4 thread atom at 2.1 did, almost a solid 150ppd, much much higher than the atom ever did

Neither netbooks nor PS3s are really worth folding on. Netbooks due to their lackluster performance and PS3s due to their poor power efficiency.

is your netbook an alienware m11x. i ask because i was debating folding on it too.

nah mines just a eee 1000ha, overclocked atom processor and intel's 950gma

though yours looks like it may fold quite well

Just throw BOINC on the Atam processors with a project that has a long deadline like Climate Prediction. That way you can DC while getting full points for work done over long periods. I think they give you up to a year for each WU.

Just throw BOINC on the Atam processors with a project that has a long deadline like Climate Prediction. That way you can DC while getting full points for work done over long periods. I think they give you up to a year for each WU.

oh hell no.. climate prediction on an atom processor.. are you insane? that would take friggin years to finish a single WU.. better off running WCG which i know for sure the atom will finish the WU's within the deadline..

i call it a netbook because it has no dvd/cd drive . I have it oc'd to 1.73ghz and may fold smp and gpu

It's a netbook, it's just a smidgen larger than my N10, the previous "gaming" netbook

cuz of it's small size I still consider it a netbook, plus it has no optical built in. It's truly a great little machine tho, only the 2nd netbook that can handle crysis :)
but I actually bought it because of STALKER CoP, plays on mostly high, amazing little thing when you play with it

Back