Folder is "not accessible" after XP reinstallation.

Nizmatik

Weaksauce
Greetings. Could be asking a stupid question but we'll see.

Scenario and problem:
My system was due for a reinstallation of Window XP. On my previous OS I had extracted a few music albums (via CD) to my system for easier access when listening to music. However after the installation it appears I can't access these music folders anymore. It appears it is only happening to the folders that were recently added.

For example, I have a "Albums" folder which includes albums I extracted. I can access some album folders without any issues however the albums that were recently added (in the previous version of XP) it comes up with the error: "Access Denied". All that were added are not accessible.

I have added 2 more harddrives which effectively changed some of drive letters around but don't belive its the problem. Any clarifications on this?

Youll probably have to check the permissions on this access denied folder, against one that you have no problem accessing.

right click, choose properties, then go to the Security tab

Cheers guys.
I thought it had something to do with that. Couldn't find the "Security" tab the first time until I disabled simple share permissions, so didn't quite click until now. Appears I have to change the ownership for all the folders I recently created. I am able to view them now which is the main thing.

Thanks again.

I'm actually having the samne problem, but different...I run Windows 2000 Pro (yeah yeah I know) and I have to folders I cannot get into. "Access is Denied". Keep in mind, I log in as the Admin. I can't change anything about these folders what-so-ever, every time I try I get "Access is Denied". Also, when I go a folder back and check the folder those two are in, it reads as 0 bytes. ?????

Can anyone help please?

Well if it works (I assume Windows 2000 will be the same in this respect) this is how I solved my problem. If you 'right clicked' on the folder itself (the one that is not accessible) and you can't see the 'security' tab (you might only see general, sharing and customize) then simple file function will be on. You need to change this in: Tools > Folder Options > View Tab and there will be a tick besides "Use simple file sharing", you will have to scroll down the list to see it. Untick it and apply the change. Now you will be able to see the 'security tab' and here you will most likely have to change the ownership and file permissions of the folder.

This is how I solve my problem. I had a feeling it was ownership or permissions related but couldn't see the 'security tab' because simple file sharing was turned on.

Back