Fold with a palm?

roftranspo

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2006
i wonder if it would be possible to use my treo to fold? Any ideas on how to make this work. I was thinking maybe if i used mini-linux on it and then installed the linux console. any idea if this would work?

FOR THE HORDE

roftranspo said:
i wonder if it would be possible to use my treo to fold? Any ideas on how to make this work. I was thinking maybe if i used mini-linux on it and then installed the linux console. any idea if this would work?

FOR THE HORDE

There are numerous things one can do with one’s palm, but so far folding hasn’t been one of them. ;)

Not enough processor for one, battery life for another. It was tried a few years ago on a Sharp Zara I think it was called which actually used one of the IX systems, didn’t work out.

If you can get linux to run on it, I don't think you should have a problem. The only problems may be the processor, if its X86, you shoudl be good there. The other is maybe sending oin the results, becasue I don't know if you can get an internet connection on a palm, but with Linux I bet its been done.

In short, it would probably work.

fenton06 said:
If you can get linux to run on it, I don't think you should have a problem. The only problems may be the processor, if its X86, you shoudl be good there. The other is maybe sending oin the results, becasue I don't know if you can get an internet connection on a palm, but with Linux I bet its been done.

In short, it would probably work.

yea...i got an internet connection and i have seen a few sites that have installed linux using what i think is call MIPS linux since the processor is a MIPS processor...so yea..i dont know if it is worth the try of installing linux and finding out...and there is a reason y some WU are timeless :) and i can have a charger anywhere i am and the console can pause folding if on battery life on laptops...so hmmmmm...any more undirty thoughts?

FOR THE HORDE

I think you'd have to have some program that emulated x86. Wouldn't you?

MN Scout said:
I think you'd have to have some program that emulated x86. Wouldn't you?

Yup, that was the whole point of my original reply, it's the MIPS processor that creates the bugaboo. The other issue I recall was of course heat, even if you got it to run how would you disipate all that heat?

I also recall someone trying to import the folding program into a PM running the Windows software only to have the same issues.

I think the closest, folding-related activity anyone has done with a Palm was use is as an emulated matrix orbital LCD to track progress. The x86 stumbling block is there as well, so you're available options are limited like BillR and Scout have said.

thares always a lonely coder who would do it, i know if i could fold wiht my pocket pc, I owuld

someone says palm and all the dirty people start thinking about there girl friend

if it could be done it would be kind of cool. not very practical but when has that ever stopped someone

Duster said:
someone says palm and all the dirty people start thinking about there girl friend

if it could be done it would be kind of cool. not very practical but when has that ever stopped someone

yea....practicallity and this group of people have never really seen eye to eye :)

FOR THE HORDE

roftranspo said:
yea....practicallity and this group of people have never really seen eye to eye :)

I've got a story about my girlfriend and something involving my eye, but i don't think anyone here wants to hear it :p

mwarps said:
I've got a story about my girlfriend and something involving my eye, but i don't think anyone here wants to hear it :p

When its her eye... its normal. When its your eye... your doing something wrong :eek:

next thing u know you will be wanting to get together andshahke each others g/f's

what will be awesome is a palm app that will get your current points, etc...

hm...

*opens up Net Beans....

Viper87227 said:
When its her eye... its normal. When its your eye... your doing something wrong :eek:

Or you're doing something right and it is executed wrong :D

BillR said:
The other issue I recall was of course heat, even if you got it to run how would you disipate all that heat?

Slap on a Zalman 9500 on the back or something
:p :p

Back