Flight Attendants Want to Reinstate Gadget Ban

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
As was predicted when the ban was lifted, the rules change allowing passengers to use electronic devices during takeoffs and landings has been challenged by the Association of Flight Attendants in the US Court of Appeals.

The flight attendants said the FAA violated the rule-making process when it lifted restrictions that prevented passengers from using electronic devices on takeoffs and landings.

After watching the ebola video and the sea of phones recording everything I'm not too surprised.

You're a flight attendant. Your job is to push a cart down a hallway and hand out peanuts, pour sodas, and ensure seat belts are buckled. You're not rocket scientists, so sit back down and STFU and stop pretending you understand the engineering concerns of cellular devices on the aircraft. :rolleyes:

You're a flight attendant. Your job is to push a cart down a hallway and hand out peanuts, pour sodas, and ensure seat belts are buckled. You're not rocket scientists, so sit back down and STFU and stop pretending you understand the engineering concerns of cellular devices on the aircraft. :rolleyes:

This all works, until human attitudes get in the way. This easily works on both sides of the aisle.:rolleyes::rolleyes: (2 is better, right?)

It has nothing to do with the engineering or concerns with cellphones making anything not work. The main problems is people not paying attention to anything and probably having no idea what to do in case there is an emergency. People can't even close the damn overhead compartments even though they are told to do so a hundred times. Same thing with sitting the fuck down when they are told to.

Just don't complain about the alcohol. I have to be drunk siting on top of people in my half a human seating area. Put your seat back, it almost hits me in the face. Have to go to the bathroom, fine two of us will get up with you.

You don't seem to know what flight attendants do... you definitely don't understand their primary responsibilities.

They may be right that the FAA violated a procedure but come on...
The union also worries that electronic devices can bounce around the cabin during turbulence and injure passengers.
What the hell does that have to do with using the devices during takeoff and landing? Besides, if devices are "bouncing around the cabin," that's some insane turbulence.

It sounds like they want a complete ban during the entire flight. Maybe they're losing out on headphone kickbacks.

You don't seem to know what flight attendants do... you definitely don't understand their primary responsibilities.
I understand that you don't go to college to become a stewardess, and they aren't qualified to chime in. If Boeing engineers wish to chime in and decertify the aircraft for use with personal electronics, that's fine, but they and everyone else has been telling us for decades its nonsense.

The only reason it has taken this long to make any change is because of the FAAs extreme reluctance to change due to a huge bureaucratic process when it comes to safety. Hell, we're even seeing it right now where we have to factor in the stewardesses opinion, as if it mattered.

What the hell does that have to do with using the devices during takeoff and landing? Besides, if devices are "bouncing around the cabin," that's some insane turbulence.

Unless 0G flights are now being offered, yeah, that does sound rather ridiculous when scrutinized. If I see someone's ipod whiz past my face, I'm probably more concerned about the craft being vertical or whatever actual emergency is causing that.

I understand that you don't go to college to become a stewardess, and they aren't qualified to chime in. If Boeing engineers wish to chime in and decertify the aircraft for use with personal electronics, that's fine, but they and everyone else has been telling us for decades its nonsense.

The only reason it has taken this long to make any change is because of the FAAs extreme reluctance to change due to a huge bureaucratic process when it comes to safety. Hell, we're even seeing it right now where we have to factor in the stewardesses opinion, as if it mattered.
What does the passenger matter then? There is only a loss of safety if you allow passengers to do tone out and not pay attention during taking off and landings so why allow them to do so. Because it is a bureaucracy you can't act all high and mighty that stewardesses option on safety don't matter when passenger handling is their primary responsibility while not awakening the only reason you're allowed to use electronics on planes is because of passenger complaints who are the least qualified people on the plane.

What does the passenger matter then? There is only a loss of safety if you allow passengers to do tone out and not pay attention during taking off and landings so why allow them to do so. It is a bureaucracy. You can't act all high and mighty that stewardesses opinion on safety don't matter when passenger handling is their primary responsibility. All while not acknowledging the only reason you're allowed to use electronics on planes is because of passenger complaints who are the least qualified people on the plane.
Don't tablet autocomplete was unsatisfactory.

Unless 0G flights are now being offered, yeah, that does sound rather ridiculous when scrutinized. If I see someone's ipod whiz past my face, I'm probably more concerned about the craft being vertical or whatever actual emergency is causing that.
Not to mention that there has never been a rule against having electronics on your person, just about having them on during takeoff and landing.

Lets just be honest, everyone knows the drill and we're not going to pay attention to the same thing we've seen a thousand times before and any monkey can figure out from the signs. And likewise, the attendants know their job is mundane and repetitive and just don't like being ignored by the passengers with their headphones on watching a movie or listening to music when they are trying to tell them to raise their seats or whether or not they want a sprite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZGbUigdWS0

Lets just be honest, everyone knows the drill and we're not going to pay attention to the same thing we've seen a thousand times before and any monkey can figure out from the signs.
I don't think any monkey living can figure out exactly what the flight attendant is instructing us to do in an emergency and if someone has never flown, listening to the flight attendant is the first time they've ever heard it.

That said, a plane crashing, it's likely (probable) you're fucked anyway.

That was exactly the vibe I got. Unless someone here has been a flight attendant and have experienced what they go through to make a living, they really need to STFU. Those gals(and some guys) know a lot more than some desk monkey engineer because they are on the front lines. The arrogance of some people who hide behind their little monitors is staggering.

"The plane just landed! Hello! Can you hear me?!!! We're on the ground now! Where are you?! Hello!!! Are you picking me up!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! I'm rushing to the front of the plane now so I can be the first one off!!! Don't these people in my way know how important I am?! Hello!!! Are you there?!!!"

That was exactly the vibe I got. Unless someone here has been a flight attendant and have experienced what they go through to make a living, they really need to STFU. Those gals(and some guys) know a lot more than some desk monkey engineer because they are on the front lines. The arrogance of some people who hide behind their little monitors is staggering.
I'm sure you're too busy to explain to us though what their responsibilities are, and how that makes them qualified to chime in on the operation of electronic devices. Am I wrong? ;)

I'm sure you're too busy to explain to us though what their responsibilities are, and how that makes them qualified to chime in on the operation of electronic devices. Am I wrong? ;)

That aren't chiming in on the operation of electronic devices. They're aren't claiming how to make batteries more efficient or how to increase CPU speed. They're trying to ensure people follow the rules, however boring they are. I am sure they are held liable if a dumbass passenger fails to know instructions during an emergency to. If that is the case and I am punished because a jackass could not stop playing angry birds while listening to music while sending a text in improper English for 3-4 minutes of a 10 hour flight, I would be pissed to.

That aren't chiming in on the operation of electronic devices. They're aren't (what?) claiming how to make batteries more efficient or how to increase CPU speed. They're trying to ensure people follow the rules, however boring they are. I am sure they are held liable if a dumbass passenger fails to know instructions during an emergency to. If that is the case and I am punished because a jackass could not stop playing angry birds while listening to music while sending a text in improper English for 3-4 minutes of a 10 hour flight, I would be pissed to.
Too* Damn, high school.

You're a flight attendant. Your job is to push a cart down a hallway and hand out peanuts, pour sodas, and ensure seat belts are buckled.
Where have you been for the last decade or so? Peanuts are no longer allowed because they can contaminate the cabin for anyone with a peanut allergy. Now it's all pretzels or sesame sticks and cheez-its. It's politically correct snacks running amuck. If they even give you a snack.

Where have you been for the last decade or so? Peanuts are no longer allowed because they can contaminate the cabin for anyone with a peanut allergy. Now it's all pretzels or sesame sticks and cheez-its. It's politically correct snacks running amuck. If they even give you a snack.

I was on a flight last year and they served peanuts in those traditional wrapped foil things. It was a regional airline.

You damn right I am. I am on less than 4 hours of sleep a night at this time, but I am taking time out of my schedule because I cannot stand people who denigrate jobs that people do because they do not understand just how important it is. Read and enjoy.

http://jobdescriptions.net/transportation/flight-attendant/

The primary responsibility of a flight attendant is to ensure that all safety regulations are followed. Approximately one hour before takeoff, flight attendants are briefed by the pilot on the details of the flight. The briefing includes expected flight time, any unusual weather or flying conditions and any special passengers onboard. Prior to boarding, flight attendants work with other airline personnel to ensure that the plane is in working order. Attendants check that the in-cabin emergency and first aid equipment is working properly and that the plane is stocked with amenities such as beverages and snacks.

As passengers board the plane, flight attendants ensure that all passengers are properly seated. Attendants help passengers properly store luggage in overhead bins and under seats. Once all passengers are properly seated and luggage is stored, flight attendants read a federally regulated safety brief, which provides emergency information in the case of an evacuation or loss of power. Attendants demonstrate the proper use of seat belts, oxygen masks and flotation devices.

Once in the air, the number one priority for flight attendants is attending to passengers’ safety. In the case of turbulence or an evacuation, attendants assist and reassure passengers. If any passenger becomes ill or needs first aid during the flight, attendants help tend to the person in need. Flight attendants perform cabin checks every 20-30 minutes to check for any safety issues.

Flight attendants also perform duties to make the flying experience more comfortable for passengers. They serve drinks and snacks, hand out headsets, answer questions and help clean the cabin.

On large flights, a lead flight attendant helps oversee the work and duties of other flight attendants. The lead flight attendant is sometimes known as a purser.

The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, AFL-CIO is a moronic union. I'll bet 95% of Actual Flight attendants don't care.

The union is just unjustly worried that they will lose some totalitarian control in the cabin, and then somehow lose some $$$ because of it.

STFU to the Association of Flight Attendants Union!http://www.afacwa.org/

i don't get how a weak transmitter like a mobile phone could interfere with an aircraft's system while there are very powerful antennas and transmitters all over the place on an airport that apparently are fine.

"The plane just landed! Hello! Can you hear me?!!! We're on the ground now! Where are you?! Hello!!! Are you picking me up!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! I'm rushing to the front of the plane now so I can be the first one off!!! Don't these people in my way know how important I am?! Hello!!! Are you there?!!!"

HAHA! Spot on!

I am sure they are held liable if a dumbass passenger fails to know instructions during an emergency to. If that is the case and I am punished because a jackass could not stop playing angry birds while listening to music while sending a text in improper English for 3-4 minutes of a 10 hour flight, I would be pissed to.

Probably among the first ones to sue for multi-million dollar compensation for breaking a nail or getting a little cut on the finger because they were never made aware of the evacuation procedure' if something ever happens.

You damn right I am. I am on less than 4 hours of sleep a night at this time, but I am taking time out of my schedule because I cannot stand people who denigrate jobs that people do because they do not understand just how important it is. Read and enjoy.
You just explained job responsibilities that could be taught a babysitter, and failed to explain how that gives them the technical expertise to have a meaningful opinion on banning gadgets.

But you're right, checking that the fire extinguisher from the last flight is still there and snacks are on hand and distributed and that people sit down is serious business. Cmon, a Walmart returns service center employee has a more complicated job.

You just explained job responsibilities that could be taught a babysitter, and failed to explain how that gives them the technical expertise to have a meaningful opinion on banning gadgets.

But you're right, checking that the fire extinguisher from the last flight is still there and snacks are on hand and distributed and that people sit down is serious business. Cmon, a Walmart returns service center employee has a more complicated job.

What do you do for a living? I am now curious.

And what exactly do a bunch of overglamorized cocktail waitresses know about electronic devices?

Uhh Delta and Southwest still serves them to name a few
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/agency/useful-resources/peanut-allergy-policy.html
http://www.southwest.com/html/custo...el-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol.html
The only time they don't serve it is when someone notifies the airlines of their allergy which affects very few of those flights.

People can't put their damn phone down and shut the fuck up for 10 minutes while the staff is trying to talk and give them instructions they are required by law to do. There's a lot of people, maybe you're one of them, that think they are more important than some lowly flight attendant and can't be bothered to follow their instructions or show them any courtesy, and without a regulation hanging over someones head requiring them to turn off their electronic devices, they'll just keep doing whatever it is with it that they feel like they're entitled to do. Now they've kept another person on the flight that is trying to listen to the attendant from being able to do so, but why would they care... they're so important!

MYTH BUSTED! Now get back to work and bring me my drink you stupid FA.

I don't see anywhere in the article where they were wanting devices banned for technical reasons. IIRC it's more about having peoples attention during the two riskiest (relative to the cruising phase at least) parts of a flight. Even when everything goes well it's still important to be attentive and listen what is being blasted over the loudspeaker. On a recent flight a guy in the row next to me was playing some game on his phone after we touched down and was totally zoned into whatever mundane repetitive task he was being sucked into. He obviously wasn't paying attention when the captain came over the speaker and said we would be waiting (stopped) for a few minutes before finally heading to the gate. So this jackass jumps up when the plane stops (as if standing up first will let him off any faster), thinking we were at the gate, and proceeds to take his over-sized carry-on out of the overhead. Obviously the flight attendant walks over and tells him that we aren't at the gate yet and right when she starts starts to help him stuff his bag back into the bin... the plane starts moving and this giant slob of a man somehow loses his balance and grabs on to his and other's bags to try and stop his 300 pound ass from falling over. Well, obviously that wasn't going to work and the entire bin emptied onto several adjacent passengers, including myself. The flight attendant ended up with a bloody nose from landing on an armrest when the guy fell on her. It could have been all prevented if the idiot had listened rather than being sucked into whatever he was doing on his phone.

They may be right that the FAA violated a procedure but come on...

It sounds like they want a complete ban during the entire flight. Maybe they're losing out on headphone kickbacks.

Hey! Someone else who actually RTFA! Yea I agree their arguments as presented are pretty much bullshit.

Although I don't agree with their stance, their argument was strictly procedural ... they wanted people paying attention during the flight safety announcement ... this isn't going to go very far though since the FAA didn't mandate the devices be allowed, they left the choice to the airlines ... personally I am much more concerned with allowing the internet connection below 10,000 feet ... I regularly use the internet on my flights these days and I don't like being disconnected until we get above 10,000 feet

There is an easy solution to the device and safety bulletin ... make the safety alert part of the ticketing process ... require the person to accept that they have read the safety bulletin (just like we do with Ts&Cs and EULAs) and have them wave any liability if they fail to follow the proper safety procedures (in fact you could make them liable) ... this is the best of both worlds, the passenger can use their device unobstructed and the airlines are protected from stupid passengers ... win, win ;)

There is only a loss of safety if you allow passengers to do tone out and not pay attention during taking off and landings so why allow them to do so.

Exactly. Banning electronics for that reason is pointless since passengers can also be distracted by books, food, children, purses, luggage, travel itineraries, etc.

I'm betting the real reason is that certain flight attendants don't like being on people's Youtube videos.

Exactly. Banning electronics for that reason is pointless since passengers can also be distracted by books, food, children, purses, luggage, travel itineraries, etc.

I'm betting the real reason is that certain flight attendants don't like being on people's Youtube videos.
I've seen books. You can pay attention and eat people do that all the time it's called a movie theater/tv/life. Children are a distraction except people tune out children who aren't theirs. Purses? Someone grasping at straws, the only purse use i've seen on planes is to pull out smartphone/mp3 players. Luggage? What are they opening them up during the safety announcements which happen after everyone is seated and the bins are closed?If you want to be petty about the concept It's pretty easy to be petty back.

I am amazed at the sense of entitlement. They can ban whatever they want, for any reason they want. Anyone that doesn't like it can find another mode of transportation.

Back