Flickering screens and application relocation

WildMonkey

Gawd
I had been getting this flickering where the screens go black and everything stops working for like a second every now and again, and sometimes the browser windows or any other opened application would switch to the other screen.

I have reduced the problem, it use to be longer pauses, and it would play the "Device connected" sound. Here is the setup and what I have done:
-MSI GTX 1080, 9900K
-Monitor 1: 1440p, 144Hz gsync DP connection
-Monitor 2: 1200p, 60Hz DVI/DP connection (have tried both)
-TV: 4K 120Hz, HDMI

The only thing that has helped was a fresh driver install, but obviously not completely fixed it. I used DDU in safe mode, got everything clean, performed a fresh offline install of latest NVIDIA drivers. I even tried this different refresh rate fix:

I have no clue, I didn't have this problem when I had 1 monitor and 1 TV.

UPDATE: It was the HDMI cable. It did not occur to me because I upgraded my rig and added a new monitor, and that is when it all went to crap. There were many things that could have been the culprit and the cable was at the bottom of my list. So if you sudden have issues like mine, a good time saver would be to swap out the cables.

Last edited:
Try a different cable, sounds like the screen is disconnecting for a moment and Windows rearranges its windows.

Try a different cable, sounds like the screen is disconnecting for a moment and Windows rearranges its windows.
I was actually thinking that so I disconnected the TV and it seems to be fixed but unfortunatly I don't have another HDMI cable that long. I ordered another and we'll see if that was it, thank you.

I was actually thinking that so I disconnected the TV and it seems to be fixed but unfortunatly I don't have another HDMI cable that long. I ordered another and we'll see if that was it, thank you.
Long HDMI cables can be fickle. That is a situation where it’s better to pay for quality especially if you want to run 4K, HDR etc.

Back