Fixing a stuck pixel - possible?

Murzilka

[H]ard|Gawd
Let's suppose there is a stuck pixel on a new 2560x1440 monitor, and which is barely visible in close up view. It is only visible on green and white backgrounds.
What are the chances to correct the defected pixel?
Thank you.

I haven't ever had any luck fixing stuck pixels. To this day, I'm still unsure as to how you correctly differentiate between a stuck and a dead pixel...

EDIT: Having them on a new monitor pisses me off, especially since they will not replace it if it isn't "as bad" or whatever stupid rule they have for it... Perfect pixels, man. That's what I want.

I've heard that it's possible to "massage" them back to life but if you can barely notice it, why take the risk of making it worse?

If it's a new display, sometimes rapid color changes over a prolonged period of time can get it to unstick.

I have had varied success with JScreenFix in the past:
http://www.jscreenfix.com/

Otherwise, you could physically try massaging the stuck pixel with a microfiber cloth. It will take decent pressure, and this method can be dangerous as it can cause issues with the currently unaffected pixels surrounding the stuck one.

The last thing you want is to turn a single stuck pixel into a cluster.

That said, pixels on a 27" IPS panel are fairly tiny, and your best bet may be to just let it be. I know it is often difficult to just forget about it, but I would agree that it may not be worth potentially making the problem worse.

EDIT: mnagrecha, dead pixels are just that... dead. They no longer function and permanently block all light from the backlight. Dead pixels always appear black. Stuck pixels are pixels which lose the ability to turn off a color. These pixels consistently display whatever color they are stuck to display, except black, which are dead pixels. In essence, only part of the pixel is dead, and not the entire pixel. Stuck pixels may sometimes be made to work normally again.

Last edited:
I've heard that it's possible to "massage" them back to life but if you can barely notice it, why take the risk of making it worse?

I have used this method to fix said issue. I use an eraser on a number 2 pencil. It doesn't work all the time, but I have had some success doing it.

The thing is, some person that is in UK bought it for me and sent for inspection. It showed one stuck pixel on green and white background, but it is so small that camera doesn't catch it and it is possible to see it only in person and from a very close distance...... only, it seems. Everything else homogenity etc is very good. Now the question - should I exchange it using the pcbuyit pixel warranty, running the risk to receive a display with other problems or I just keep it..... And if it turns out to be really bad over time - exchange it. That's the question...
Thanks for your opinions.:cool:

Depending on the vendor and location of the pixel, they will probably not give you an exchange for 1 pixel. And there's no guarantee that the next one wouldn't have another pixel problem or worse.

I have one stuck green pixel on my 2560x1440 lcd and it really pisses me off.

I can see it most of the time, especially on black or dark images.
But I knew that there was a chance for stuck pixels when I bought it.

If the stuck pixel doesn't bother you, then keep it. otherwise exchange it.

Pcbuyit.co.uk has a very good pixel warranty policy:
"All of our Dell monitors are sold with a pixel perfect guarantee for the duration of the warranty period, in the unlikely event your monitor has ANY pixel defect we will arrange for the monitor to be replaced next working day"
But the fact that I might get into even a bigger problem with the new monitor bothers me quite a bit. Dam those monitors...

EDIT: mnagrecha, dead pixels are just that... dead. They no longer function and permanently block all light from the backlight. Dead pixels always appear black. Stuck pixels are pixels which lose the ability to turn off a color. These pixels consistently display whatever color they are stuck to display, except black, which are dead pixels. In essence, only part of the pixel is dead, and not the entire pixel. Stuck pixels may sometimes be made to work normally again.

Thanks for the explanation!

Back