Five Years Of Firefox

HardOCP News

[H] News
Firefox is celebrating its five year anniversary today. Congrats to the Firefox development team and everyone at Mozilla!

But what has changed over the last five years? What are the main themes? We’ve picked a few to talk about and we hope that it helps put things into perspective for the next five.

FF is a great browser. Still mainly an IE user but IE REALLY needs to get up to speed on standards but I have some tools that only work in IE that have no good replacement with other browsers. At any rate, I use all the major browsers besides Safari depending on the need. Honestly, the whole browser war thing was over long ago. It's just another free app now.

And that's thanks to Microsoft ironically.

FF has only been around for 5 years? Huh, I thought it was longer.

Anyway, Congrats to Mozilla!

Good stuff. I've been using it since '05. I thought it had been out longer than that also.

Ya, use nothing else. Thank god we eventually got these alternatives to IE. I couldnt wait to stop using IE.

FF for the win.

Good stuff. I've been using it since '05. I thought it had been out longer than that also.

It has :) they changed the name 5 years ago to firefox (from firebird), I believe, because of trademark issues

To save everyone some time:

"Firefox is too bloated, I use Chrome"
"I ain't switching to Chrome until it can use extensions"
"Extensions make Firefox bloated"
"Memory Hog"
"Who cares, I have 96GB RAM"
"I ain't switching to Chrome until it includes AdBlock Plus"
"Web Standards"
"Vulnerabilities"
"Opera has included every imaginable browsing feature since 1978 and actually ADDS RAM to your system every time you run it"
"Safari"

/thread

It has :) they changed the name 5 years ago to firefox (from firebird), I believe, because of trademark issues

And before that, Phoenix before it was reintegrated into the Mozilla Suite as a replacement for its existing Mozilla Suite... which was forked off the Mozilla Suite because it was too bloated and had too many extra features.

So we had a Browser (Netscape) that was lean enough, worked well, soon became a bloated, unwieldy mess... which got forked, turned back into a very nice lean browser that worked well.... and soon became a bloated unwieldy mess. Maybe soon we'll see a Dark Phoenix and start the cycle all over again.

[UPS] Sorce;1034882581 said:
FF has only been around for 5 years? Huh, I thought it was longer.

I was thinking the same. Seems that it would've been already a longer time since release.

For me, Firefox gives Windows 2000 new life.
I probably wouldn't run win2k on my CNC pc if I couldn't have a decent browser on it.

Back