Five Things to Hate About HDTV

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sure standard definition programming looks like ass on your HDTV but is that a real reason to “stick with standard definition TVs” as this person suggests? Ummm, no.

It’s hard to say anything bad publicly about high-definition TV. Aficianados are rabid. Consumers are going ga-ga for high-def: 53 percent of households in the United States now own an HDTV, up from 23 percent in 2007, according to the Cable & Telecommunications Association for Marketing.

I can't wait for standard def to die. While SD does look like crap on my HDTV, I don't view much of anything that isn't HD anyway.

I do agree with the first complaint, have you watched football in High Def? Those sideline reporters look something fierce.

lol at talking about expensive hdmi cables as being one of the things to "hate"...

I do agree with the first complaint, have you watched football in High Def? Those sideline reporters look something fierce.

Football should only be seen in high def. To actually be able to see the texture of the turf is a thing of beauty I tell ya.

Here's the truth:

SD on HDTV looks like crap, no matter how good your set.
HDMI cables on monoprice.com => all you need.
SDTV w/DVD looks great, but most people want something 30" +...so if you get a HDTV, be prepared to spend money to get it to look good with Blu or HD cable packages.

Saw this yesterday and had a really good laugh. My TV is still SD for the moment (wedding and honeymoon take the $$$ at the moment) but will be replaced shortly.

None of their reasons for hating HD made sense.

Football should only be seen in high def. To actually be able to see the texture of the turf is a thing of beauty I tell ya.

I agree 100%, but man those close ups of the sideline reporters are something else (not just the women). I guess the cheerleaders in high def make up for it :p

Haha, I like how the writer brought in Monster cables :rolleyes:

Yeah and he said Monster is one of the biggest makers in cables.... not Monster is one of the biggest rip off artist in cables.

IMO that article was so full of shit, and there's nothing in it that really annoys me. What annoys me is the $10 extra it costs per month just to have HD signals. I can do with out all the hundreds of SD signals for the handful of HD ones, but nope, doesn't work like that.

To be honest I hate going over to my friends place and watching sitcoms or just about any show on his TV. HD makes the show looks so cheap and painful for me to watch. I think they got to put on some sort of filter or something so it seems like I'm not watching a set in a studio. I currently only like watching movies in HD.

As for the HDMI he just said retail so you definitely see best buy charging close to those insane amounts. He also links to a much cheaper online retailer.

Standard def only looks like crap on my HDTV if I allow the television to stretch it across my screen. If I keep it at 4:3 then it looks no different than watching it from a regular television.

If you're noticing a degradation, you're sitting too close to the television anyways.

Saw it yesterday. This guy is an idiot.

First off, you go HD to get an HD picture. That means, YES, you will see people in high definition. Even in the background. NO SHIT!? Moron.

SD sucks balls, I can't stand watching it on a HDTV. My inlaws bought a 65" HDTV and only play SD media on it. It's harsh. I miss my Dad's setup... All HD, 110" projection, Axiom sound, dedicated room, great seating.... Looks great, sounds great, comfortable. And it really wasn't that expensive, either. I miss my HD. :(

Seriously. The guy never calibrated his analog TV? What a maroon.

And what does aspect ratio have to do with resolution? He needs to grab the Blu-ray of Star Trek TOS season 1. Hi-def 4:3 material? His head will assplode.

Black bars are your friend.

Idiots article pretty much...

What is really stupid is most arguments are not even HD related.

Black Bars? That is a size/format issue, not HD. HD just so happens to be widescreen. Its a little annoying but not a deal breaker.

Calibration? Stupid "reason", the same people that suggests calibration for HD suggested it for SD TVs back in the day. The same people that just bought, brought home, turned on, and watched SD TVs, can still do the same for HD. Granted now that BestBuy offers calibration its a bit more main stream now...

My biggest complaint about HDTV is COX's refusal to letterbox standard cable. Instead they zoom it so the text on the outer edges of the screen are missing and some crawlers at the bottom (ie, sports scores on ESPN,FOX) are cut off. Their answer: Pay us more to upgrade to HD.

The first 'reason' is not a problem with HDTVs; it's mostly a problem of viewer perception. The example is pretty moronic too; you want a less life-like view of a real life ball game? Stop blaming the television and put on some beer goggles.

Most of other bullet points are just nitpicky or stupid. You can get cheap HDMI cables that work just as well as expensive ones; calibration is usually necessary on any TV if you care about quality (if you're still on an SDTV than you probably don't care); you'll get black bars on SDTV too because more things nowadays are wide screen; even a crappy HD broadcast should look better than SD.

None are reasons to prefer SD over HD.

Do they actually pay people to write this crap? That article is so stupid my nerd-rage is boiling out of my ears.

as someone who is still slugging through jrpgs on his ps1 I have to agree that the sd quality on hdtv's are crap and it would be cool if they offered better emulation in some form or another... that being said the easiest solution for me was to just keep my old 35 inch sdtv and use that exclusively for classic systems...most people are replacing a tv anyway, don't see how that's such a big deal.

And a complaint that it's jarring because the commercials aren't in HD? That's news to me, I fast forward through them fast enough that I really never notice.

Wow...just wow.
HDMI cables? If anything, hate on them because 99% of people aren't getting anything special from them (like better audio) because they don't have a good receiver hooked up to their TV.
The other stuff is just asinine.
It's like telling people to get a horse instead of a car because the car can't be your friend.

Clueless wanker thinks SD (re: CRTs) were shipped out perfectly calibrated evidently.

Moron.

A well setup (calibrated) CRT in a properly lit room beats LCD, period.

Wow...just wow.
HDMI cables? If anything, hate on them because 99% of people aren't getting anything special from them (like better audio) because they don't have a good receiver hooked up to their TV.
The other stuff is just asinine.
It's like telling people to get a horse instead of a car because the car can't be your friend.

hey now, there are plenty of places to stick your dick in a car.

Standard defination looks just fine when it's not compressed to death. In any event, you can't pay me to go back to SD.

The article was stupid, but I'm one of those luddites that still owns a glass SD TV. Mostly becuase its too heavy to lift! ;)

Anyway, flame away at me, I just don't watch that much TV, and my 100 pound trinitron still has an AMAZING picture.

SD content looks fine on my HDTV. I just can't afford the HD content.

$90/mo for Cable
$18/mo for cable cards
$600 for 2 HD Tivos
$200 Blue Ray Player

All that and I would get ~10 hd stations over cable. Blu-Ray rental selection is lacking in my area so a very slim selection.

From what I have seen of HD... I'm not missing much IMO. Shitty compression takes away from the HD picture and (from what I understand) there are hit or miss Blu-Ray releases? Some have better picture than others?

I don't see SD/DVD going anywhere anytime soon. About the time they are gone, current HD equipment will be cheap and there will be something else. "Million Eighty P" 30,000hz Orange-Ray.

Shitload of bollocks this article, seriously. Don´t know why I wasted my time reading such nonsense. Clearly she has no clue of what she is writing, sounds like a desperate attempt to keep her job.

It seems she didn´t learn in school that you should research about your subject before you publish your material, instead of just throwing personal opinion around.

Yeah and he said Monster is one of the biggest makers in cables.... not Monster is one of the biggest rip off artist in cables.

IMO that article was so full of shit, and there's nothing in it that really annoys me. What annoys me is the $10 extra it costs per month just to have HD signals. I can do with out all the hundreds of SD signals for the handful of HD ones, but nope, doesn't work like that.

He is a "She" if you can call her that.... written by Suzanne Choney

SuzanneChoney.thumb.jpg

She seems to write alot of tech articles on msnbc http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3033118/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets

I'm still on a SD TV with analog cable. Too many $ to upgrade to HD & Digital.
Besides the cost of a new TV, I'd have to replace both my Replay TV boxes and put digital cable boxes on or rent DVRs from the Cable company for each TV. Plus I'd have to pay even more to "upgrade" to digital TV, so I can watch over compress 480i digital channels that don't look any better than analog.

Of course when my main TV finally dies, I'll buy a wide screen HD TV, but until then I have other priorities for my money.

Next article in the pipeline:

5 reasons to hate stick shifts.

1.) They require usage of a clutch.

2.) I don't know how to drive one.

3.) I would have to learn.

4.) You have to change gears AND drive.

5.) Not everyone has driven a stick shift.

That person looks like they were complaining just so they have something to write about.

Every single thing she complained about is the same for standard def.

One point the author made was true, but it also works in the other direction too.

The "Black Bars" part. Sure, watching a SD broadcast in an HDTV you do have those black bars on the sides, BUT, watching that prime time show shot in HD nets you black bars on the top and bottom of the screen when watching it on a SD-TV.

Ad revenue guys. They care (very) little about the quality of the content. Just that eye-balls hit the page. The more people view it and comment (in their thread) the happier those morons will be.

Best thing to do is either: a) nuke their servers or b) don't link to it or comment (in their thread) about it.

SD broadcast looks perfectly fine on my 65" Mitsu. Then again high-end rear projection just looks a helluva lot better than LCD/Plasma IMO any day.

Football, UFC, Blu-Ray are the reason I bought the TV. Pure bliss!

This dude doesn't know shit.

Back