First Watercooling setup

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by AthlonXP, Dec 20, 2018.

1. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Stay [H]ard

cyberguyz likes this.
  2. hititnquitit

hititnquitit Limp Gawd

it looks good but a shot of the side including the rest of the loop would be sweet.

3. iwhocorrupts

iwhocorrupts [H]Lite

Woah woah woah. Is that front panel water bulkhead sold separately for the PC-011? Lol

Also, did you have fun bending hard tubing for the first time?

4. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Gawd

It is a case + cooling kit. The hard tube comes pre-bent and fitted to the case. There might be a bit of cutting but no bending as I understand it. It all comes ready to add in your electronics & assemble.

It is a really nice kit for sure.

5. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Stay [H]ard

hititnquitit likes this.
  6. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Stay [H]ard

Quick question on temps. I noticed now as I started to game that my gpu stays at 35C idle but jumps up to 82-83C when gaming.

Could it be that:

• I put too much thermal paste on (did a link down the middle of the gpu),
    • GPU Block not seated all the way
    • The thermal pads I used where the ones that came with the EVGA cooler, could they be too thick in which causes the gpu block to be off?
    • Could it be that the EVGA backplate had thermal pads but the EK backplate does not?

Just trying to make sure what to check. The CPU temps are perfect and I will go ahead and drain and inspect the GPU later today. Also I only used distilled water in the loop, should I add anything else to it?

7. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Stay [H]ard

Also I noticed some bubble, but would that cause any issues?

gpu underblock.jpg gpu backplate.jpg

8. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

1.) Not really such a thing as "too much" thermal paste on a GPU, unless it's gooping out over the sides and onto the board. There's definitely such a thing as too little, though: on a GPU (unlike a CPU) you're mating the block to the actual die, which means every square millimeter needs coverage.

2.) If your block came with thermal pads, you should have used those. Thermal pad thickness is based on the geometry of the cooler relative to the PCB components, and the stock thermal pads were made to interface properly with the stock cooler. Your waterblock likely needs thermal pads that are thicker in some places and thinner in others, hence why they were supplied with the block.

3.) If EK decided you don't need thermal pads on the backplate, you probably don't. In any case, lacking them certainly wouldn't cause such high core temps.

4.) Bubbles in your block aren't a big deal in and of themselves, and probably won't cause high temps, BUT, they should probably have been cleared by now. Are you running your pump at 100%? It's a good idea to run it full tilt for the first couple of weeks after a fill, so the loop can fully bleed.

pendragon1 likes this.
  9. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Stay [H]ard

Thanks for the reply. So basically it was the wrong screws used for the 4 main mount on the gpu block. I drained the system and inspected the block and saw it was only barley touching the cooler. Once used another set of screw I had full contact and my temps now idle around 30C and when gaming do not go higher then 45C.

pendragon1 likes this.
  10. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Stay [H]ard

Round 2 testing now. So far so good!

image1.jpeg

11. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Nice work! Much sexier than my PC-O11. How are the temps? Noise?

12. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Stay [H]ard

Noise is fantastic, super quiet. Only time it revs up is when I run Prime 95, even when gaming the temps are pretty solid. CPU tops out at 55C (4.6GHZ w/1.2 volts) and the GPU tops out when gaming at 45C.

Brian_B and JosiahBradley like this.