• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First timer. The adventure thread.

Anthroc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
134
I have never ventured into the realm of air OC but next week I will begin my adventure!
I'm starting this thread early because I'm overly excited, and also so that I have somewhere to ask questions, while not creating clutter. I hope you guys can help me if I hit any walls.
My 9800 GT and Accelero S1 are coming in on Monday so I'm gonna use the wekend to read up on how to do this stuff.
-------------------------------------------------------
Current specs:
Stock Q6600 with Noctua NH-U12F:
2.4 Ghz: 28-31C on idle
-
Stock Evga 9800 GT with Accelero S1:
Core: 600Mhz
Shaders: 1500Mhz
Memory: 1800Mhz
-
Gigabyte p35-ds3l
Ballistix 3 x 1GB DDR2-800
-------------------------------------------------------
My goals are:
Q6600 at 3.2Ghz/40C
-
9800GT:
Core: 770Mhz
Shaders: 1920Mhz
Memory: 2300Mhz
-
Ram OC?
-------------------------------------------------------
I've downloaded Everest and Prime... and I've read a few articles.
I get the idea but I need more knowledge.
This coming week I'll keep updating this thread as I go along with images and all.
Thanks for the support. :)
 
GO crazy in BIOS, there isn't much you can do to destroy your components
voltage will, but everyone knows to check that
pci-e stays at 100mhz

if you look at some threads about how to determine your Q6600 stepping you'll have a good idea of how far you can push your chip, but not all chips are the same so don't count on it 100%
e0 stepping you will possibly hit 3.6
b3 gets you 3.2
(don't trust me exactly on these numbers)

i have an 8800gt that i can only push to 700mhz core, you may need a volt mod to break 700 depending on your luck.
 
ok so i just dabbled a bit today.

3D Mark 06
2.4ghz / stock gpu: 10750 @ 1650 x 1080
3.2ghz / stock gpu: 11733 @ 1650 x 1080

My temps at 3.2ghz are 45-50c idle and 60-65c load (occasionally touches 70c).
Are these ok?

I've been trying to get the timings on my RAM right... I use 3 of these 4-4-4-12 rated Ballistix:
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24082&vpn=BL12864AA80A&manufacture=CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY
The problem is that anytime i go into the BIOS and force the timings to 4-4-4-12 the system doesn't POST anymore... Is this a voltage issue?

My gigabyte board has the RAM setting like this:
5-6-6-21 (CR 2T)
DRAM freq: 445Mhz
FSB: DRAM : 4:5

anyone got any suggestions?

like i said i just fiddled around for 5 minutes.. haven't really touched the voltages, i let the p35 use the "auto" mode for the voltages...

thanks for the help.:)
 
got the timings stable at 5-5-5-18 think i'll be leaving them here.. 3.2ghz @ 1.344 V - 45c idle 65c load
 
GO crazy in BIOS, there isn't much you can do to destroy your components
voltage will, but everyone knows to check that
pci-e stays at 100mhz

if you look at some threads about how to determine your Q6600 stepping you'll have a good idea of how far you can push your chip, but not all chips are the same so don't count on it 100%
e0 stepping you will possibly hit 3.6
b3 gets you 3.2
(don't trust me exactly on these numbers)

i have an 8800gt that i can only push to 700mhz core, you may need a volt mod to break 700 depending on your luck.

That would be GO stepping, not EO on a Q6600. I would also check out Bill Parrish's OC guide in the Intel motherboard forum for the P965. Almost Identical settings and the guide I used to get my Q6600 to 3.6 for everyday use.
 
ok so i just dabbled a bit today.

3D Mark 06
2.4ghz / stock gpu: 10750 @ 1650 x 1080
3.2ghz / stock gpu: 11733 @ 1650 x 1080

My temps at 3.2ghz are 45-50c idle and 60-65c load (occasionally touches 70c).
Are these ok?

I've been trying to get the timings on my RAM right... I use 3 of these 4-4-4-12 rated Ballistix:
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24082&vpn=BL12864AA80A&manufacture=CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY
The problem is that anytime i go into the BIOS and force the timings to 4-4-4-12 the system doesn't POST anymore... Is this a voltage issue?

My gigabyte board has the RAM setting like this:
5-6-6-21 (CR 2T)
DRAM freq: 445Mhz
FSB: DRAM : 4:5

anyone got any suggestions?

like i said i just fiddled around for 5 minutes.. haven't really touched the voltages, i let the p35 use the "auto" mode for the voltages...

thanks for the help.:)

Do not use auto voltages for your CPU and memory. You need to manually set those.
If indeed you do have a GO 6600 then you may easily be able to run 3.2 at stock voltage to the CPU. As for the ram double check what the voltage to it is supposed to be then manually set it and the timings. You do know about Ctrl + F1 to get to the screen to manually set your voltages and bus speed ?

If overclocking CPU and ram I would bump the MCH voltage + .1 Could very well be you do not have enough voltage going to your memory. also That CPU should be running cooler than that under load with that overclock with an aftermarket heatsink.
 
OC-8-10-08.JPG



How are these results?

I tested Prime for 1hr with no problems... average temp was 64c, peak temp was 73c...
RAM is running at 5-5-5-18 @427.3Mhz (5:6)
I'm gonna optimize system voltage to reduce heat after I install the GPU cooler.
Accelero just got in :D so i'm gonna install that and see how much the 9800GT stock temps fall...
 
Definitely check your CPU voltage, it shouldn't be that high and you should be able to do 3.2GHZ under full load and not break 60 degrees C.
 
i'll definitely look at that.. jsut isntalled my accelero!!!

dropped my evga 9800gt temp from 58c idle to 38c idle... this thing rocks!
 
XOC-8-10-08.JPG



Sorry for the big picture..

This is what I'm at today.. overall i'm very satisfied.. think i'll keep it here for a while. thanks for all the help peeps..

CPU temps are now 42c idle and 56c load
GPU temps are now 43c idle and 53c load

btw is that a good 3d mark 06 score? i can't find any good reference numbers...

3d mark score history:
stock all: 10750 @ 1650 x 1080
3.2Ghz: 11733 @ 1650 x 1080
3.2Ghz: 13043 @ 1280x1024
3.2Ghz S1 stock: 13105 @ 1280 x 1024
3.2Ghz S1 700/1750/1000: 14380 @ 1280 x 1024
3.2Ghz S1 710/1775/1025: 14537 @ 1280 x 1024
 
Back
Top