• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

first time overclocking i7 920

CoolGuy90

Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
649
I want to overclock my 920 to just 3.0GHZ. I am completely new at overclocking CPU's. I read that simply increasing the BLK from 133 to 150 will get me to 3.0. What else if needed do I need to change?
 
I want to overclock my 920 to just 3.0GHZ. I am completely new at overclocking CPU's. I read that simply increasing the BLK from 133 to 150 will get me to 3.0. What else if needed do I need to change?

You might want to set a specific Vcore (say, to 1.25V) in order to stabilize your modest OC. The default (autodetected) Vcore setting is usually Auto, which might cause the voltages to drop very low. That destabilizes even a slight overclock, in my experience.
 
I want to overclock my 920 to just 3.0GHZ. I am completely new at overclocking CPU's. I read that simply increasing the BLK from 133 to 150 will get me to 3.0. What else if needed do I need to change?

This is a very simple and quick guide....http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=20028

This is very through and well done:http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=7528

It helps to fully understand what you are going to do and the effects before you do it......and potentially FUBAR the whole deal.

If you are only going to OC the CPU to that level....and you have a D0 stepping Ci7 920, you may only need to up the BClk as you noted.
I would simply try that first and stress the CPU with Orthos on all cores.....are you using Hyperthreading or turbo mode?

If it's stable under stress then you are done, if not you may need to raise your VCore by a small amount....example.....if your default is 1.21V raise it to 1.25V and retest.

What heatsink do you have for the CPU? What Motherboard do you use?what Memory?
 
Last edited:
I want to overclock my 920 to just 3.0GHZ. I am completely new at overclocking CPU's. I read that simply increasing the BLK from 133 to 150 will get me to 3.0. What else if needed do I need to change?

Nothing at all. Just set BCLK to 150.

3.0 GHz should be very easy to get so you do not need to change any complicated settings which would be needed if you wanted to hit 4.0GHz.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have a C0 stepping and a TRUE 120 with a Slipstream 800RPM w/ MX-2 thermal.

Where Do I check to see if I actually am at 3.0? For instance CPU-Z shows my CPU clock around 1.6GHZ due to the energy saving feature, so how would I know my true clock speed?

So far everything is on stock settings in the BIOS
 
I raised the BLK to 150, CPU-Z showed 3.1GHZ. Ran the IntelBurn test on Maximum with 16 threads and was succesfull, load temps where between 70-74 C.

Am I safe to keep it at this?
 
I raised the BLK to 150, CPU-Z showed 3.1GHZ. Ran the IntelBurn test on Maximum with 16 threads and was succesfull, load temps where between 70-74 C.

Am I safe to keep it at this?

Yup.
If you want a constant 3.0 GHz 24/7 simply turn off IntelSpeedStep in the BIOS.
I never use it, but that's just me. Some BIOS link turbo with SpeedStep.

The thing you want to remember, normal use,even games, will never push the CPU that hard, so your temps will always be lower.
 
Yup.
If you want a constant 3.0 GHz 24/7 simply turn off IntelSpeedStep in the BIOS.
I never use it, but that's just me. Some BIOS link turbo with SpeedStep.

The thing you want to remember, normal use,even games, will never push the CPU that hard, so your temps will always be lower.

I might try turning it off, would you see any real world difference when not under load?

And yeah when I ran the burn test I knew that this would push the CPU really hard and if I do successfully pass it I know my temps wouldn't matter anymore since I rarely do anything that demanding.
 
I might try turning it off, would you see any real world difference when not under load?

Well, I guess you'd have to see that for yourself.
I would guess a page would be faster to load at 3.0GHz than at 1.6?

Faster is faster,yes?
 
I raised the BLK to 150, CPU-Z showed 3.1GHZ. Ran the IntelBurn test on Maximum with 16 threads and was succesfull, load temps where between 70-74 C.

Am I safe to keep it at this?

Yes. The temps are fine especially when running IBT. 3.1GHz was probably due to Turbo Boost.
 
I might try turning it off, would you see any real world difference when not under load?

And yeah when I ran the burn test I knew that this would push the CPU really hard and if I do successfully pass it I know my temps wouldn't matter anymore since I rarely do anything that demanding.

no you won't notice any difference when you're not under load
 
Back
Top