[First time] Ordering bustom built Gaming laptop.

Jake24

n00b
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
14
You can view my build with all components here: https://www.originpc.com/Configurator/?configid=88618ec1-76a7-451a-bdbf-9446afd05583 Just click "Continue" on the first screen to see my build.

This is for gaming.

I have a $2000 budget if that helps.

I am not the best with computer hardware. If anyone could tell me if/where I have too much underkill/overkill that would be very helpful.

Also anything I could improve on it.

I don't know what the "mSATA Option" means. And all of the things under it are free, but I haven't picked any.

Overclocking? Depends if I need to.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
within a week

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc
Don't know.
 
If your budget is 2k, a custom gaming laptop is not the right fit for you....
 
Mind explaining why?

Here's the deal:

Laptops that are suitable for serious gaming cost way higher than your stated budget limit to begin with — $2,500 and up. And none of the $2,000 laptops that I've seen has a GPU that's competitive in performance to even a midrange desktop GPU.
 
I don't know what the "mSATA Option" means. And all of the things under it are free, but I haven't picked any.

You will have to add mSATA SSDs to use those options and they will increase the total cost above your budget. At $1922 you are only getting one mechanical 1TB hard drive.

Shipping alone (depending on where you live) can increase the price above your budget.
 
Here's the deal:

Laptops that are suitable for serious gaming cost way higher than your stated budget limit to begin with — $2,500 and up. And none of the $2,000 laptops that I've seen has a GPU that's competitive in performance to even a midrange desktop GPU.

Okay, so you would recommend I get a desktop instead?
What would you recommend?
 
Building your own. You can get a bad ass PC for $1500.

If your set on a laptop though, either get a thin 880M one or a thick 880M SLI laptop. They 880M SLI is pretty good, about 770 level.
 
Okay, so you would recommend I get a desktop instead?

Yes. Please answer the following questions:

1a) Which games do you want to play? At what level of visual quality?
1b) Besides gaming, what else will you use your computer for?
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) Do you have any parts that you could use on this build? If so, what? (Please be specific: we need the brand and model plus the age of each part.)
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
 
Okay, so you would recommend I get a desktop instead?
Well there are situations where a gaming laptop makes sense: If you're in a profession where you're constantly moving around the country or globe, then a gaming laptop makes sense. If you're a college student living in the college dorm/apartments, you might be better off with a cheap laptop + good desktop combo.

So why did you think you need a gaming laptop?
 
Unfamiliar with originpc, seems to be a bit overpriced if you ask me. I highly recommend xoticpc.com they have quite a bit to chose from and they are all easily customizable.. awesome customer service

Saying you can't be a "serious" gamer unless spending 2500+ on a laptop is silly.

I just spent 1800 on a Sager with sata + mechanical and 880M and it runs nearly every single present day game at max settings above 30 FPS.


Sure you can spend about 500ish less, and get the equivalent for a Desktop build, but the person may not have monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. or the know how on building.

If you don't have a need to be mobile, then definitely get a desktop, it just makes sense and for 2,000 you can get an awesome desktop. If you need to be mobile, go for the laptop and you'll be able to game just fine, with everything maxed out.
 
Saying you can't be a "serious" gamer unless spending 2500+ on a laptop is silly.

That statement just goes to show that I have not kept up with the higher-end laptop offerings of late, especially since I concentrated too much on upper-mainstream desktops and cheapo laptops.

That said, mobile GPUs that can keep up with a good upper-midrange desktop GPU tend to be on the pricey side. At or close to the $2000 price point for a complete laptop, the inclusion of such a GPU may force the would-be-configurator to skimp on a couple of the other components, such as the hard disk or RAM.
 
Last edited:
I have to disagree. You can get a damn good "gaming" laptop for ~$1500. Can a desktop be built that's more powerful for the same money, sure. Will it give you a better experience? Doubtful.

Look into the MSI GT70 line of gaming laptops. If you shop around you can find a damn good deal on a good one for around $1500 that can do anything a $1500 "desktop" can do right now.
 
Back
Top