First time - new computer won't POST

WhatTheSchmidt

Limp Gawd
New computer build went smoothly but the thing doesn't work at all.

List of parts:
Asrock 970 extreme3 AM3+ motherboard
sapphire HD6670 video card
Corsair 430W CX430 PSU
AMD 8 core FX-8320 cpu
4GB x 2 Gskill F3-12800CL9T
1TB wd blue hard drive
Asus DVD burner

Corsair Carbide Series 200R case

Anyway I get nothing on screen. I have tried moving the ram, using 1 ram stick, using my dd3 ram from the computer I am an now, so it's not the ram. Tried an older video card, no dice. Tried resetting the CPU, set it in perfectly again no dice. Tried using the PSU from this computer, no dice.

So it's either the motherboard or cpu...but I have no way of telling. Unless maybe I had a speaker for the error code? Not sure where I could get that.

I wanted to just ship back the mobo/cpu and go intel instead but no return on the cpu.

What's the next step then?

Thanks

Thinking it's gotta be the mobo...Just tried resetting cmos and booting still nothing.

Probably gonna return that board and get a better one

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the troubleshooting sticky?

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the troubleshooting sticky?

yes

that's why I tried the cmos thing but no dice

the mobo is installed in the case didn't know outside worked better? thought that was just for quicker testing

going to return the mobo and go with either

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970

the mobo is installed in the case didn't know outside worked better? thought that was just for quicker testing
No it rules out the case and cable connection as sources possible issues. I.e the power button is defective, the power cable is being twisted or pushed too hard, the case is shorting out the motherboard, etc.

No it rules out the case and cable connection as sources possible issues. I.e the power button is defective, the power cable is being twisted or pushed too hard, the case is shorting out the motherboard, etc.

I agree!

Case was shorting the mobo..thanks for the help.

Funny - I even followed the directions and that made me miss the fact that one of the standoffs was removable and needed to be removed.

Sometimes the answer isn't so obvious upon first glance. That's why we ask so many questions around here.

Case was shorting the mobo..thanks for the help.

Funny - I even followed the directions and that made me miss the fact that one of the standoffs was removable and needed to be removed.

I've had this issue several time in the past, especially if the case is bare metal. Is there any reason why the standoffs are still metal as opposed to something less conductive?

I've had this issue several time in the past, especially if the case is bare metal. Is there any reason why the standoffs are still metal as opposed to something less conductive?

I think they are supposed to ground the mobo out to the chassis or case but only where they attach and not on other spots of the mobo. I think the case acts as a ground plane for EMI or RF radiation. All of the mounting holes on a mobo have solder pads around them. It might be for PCB protection but I believe that they are for grounding.

yes the grounding is the issue with the problem. The reason being that the motherboard is shorting due to the standoff hitting a solder on the other side of the motherboard.

Back