First time lapping..

Not perfect, and i killed those sheets of micron paper ~__~. Think next time that i do this, ill not only be ordering everything myself, but ill definitely make sure to get more micron paper.

Also my idle temp is about 35*c and 39*c under load. I'll be installing the HSF tomorrow and ill report back on initial #s and after the AS5 has cured.
Good luck. Hope you see a nice temp improvement.

To be honest, I don't like those micron papers. Least not the brand included with Easy PC kits. The abrasive comes off the backing too easily. As you can see from the image I provided previously, the kit will give you a mirror finish. But the chances of getting a "snowball" effect are greater than if you use 2,000 grit 3M paper. Which has always been good enough for me.

So did you lap your CPU also?

I went to lap mine but it was not concave like I thought so I just took the IHS off.

My Ninja came out of the box so shiny. I could take reflective pictures in it etc. However:
My Ninja was concave

So I started with 200g WD and went to like 1500 or 2500. Like everyone has said the polish is just for looks.

Here is a good article on how fine of paper to use.

Here is a decent way to buy wet/dry

For the CPU if you lap it, I'd mask the bottom and sides with blue tape and plastic.

Cheers

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't you just use the black plastic cap that comes with the CPU?

If it gives a water tight seal then yes.

When lapping, lots of water is key. Without it, the excavated material just scratches the lapped object. You want to keep rinsing the grit away so the lapping paper stays consistent.
I keep a squirt water bottle filled and ready.

I also use 5/16" mirror (mirrors are flat like float glass or they would belong in the circus) on a 2x6 piece of lumber in an old cookie sheet.
I use big spring clips to hold the paper to the edge of the mirrors.

I use this setup to sharpen chisels and knives and it works great.

Alrighty, got the hsf mounted and initial reports of temps are 2*c lower, It's still early and the as5 hasn't settled yet, and sadly i didn't get the mirror finish i wanted, but we will see how this works out later on. Till then, anyone need a standard 939 HSF? ^_^

sadly i didn't get the mirror finish i wanted

Screw the mirror finish! It is not what's important. Unless you want to get some good reflection pictures!

Read This!

The mirror finish could work against you!

Like I said before, My Ninja had a mirror finish out of the box, but it was concave. My temps went down 6C after just using 200/400/600 and 800 grit.

If one more person links me to the same thing, without noticing that I said i don't care for the discussion as to which is better grooves and valleys or mirror shines, I think I might just have to run off a cliff.

PLEASE EVERYONE, NO MORE DEBATING WHICH IS BETTER BETWEEN MIRROR FINISHES AND SMALL GROOVES!

If one more person links me to the same thing, without noticing that I said i don't care for the discussion as to which is better grooves and valleys or mirror shines, I think I might just have to run off a cliff.

PLEASE EVERYONE, NO MORE DEBATING WHICH IS BETTER BETWEEN MIRROR FINISHES AND SMALL GROOVES!

Sorry S-Assassin,

Go ahead and stare at yourself in the mirror finish. I and others are only trying to bump you a step ahead in the process from what we have learned.

I learned by trial and error. I saw all the pictures of HS's with coin reflections etc and thought it was the way too.

I did the whole lap up to 2500 and did the Brasso etc On my Ninja and it did not do as good as when I redid it and went to just 800 grit and had better temperature results.

As long as you are happy with your results is what matters!

Cheers

Thanks mate, and we will see how happy I am once the AS5 has cured...till then fingers crossed really. Also, shiny surfaces lend well to my interests.

LOL I am temped to link ya to a zillion posts on AS application methods and opinions. I mean really you nipped the shiny - no shiny thing in the bud, but there are potentially at least 5 more thread pages on the proper amount and method of AS applicaion we are missing, and at least 3 pages on "curing" time. For example when you mated the surfaces you did "wiggle" it just a bit, right ? j/k :D

The better your lap job is the less AS5 you will need.

And when using very little AS5 the break in time will be very short.

My temps went down maybe 1C from the AS5 setting in.

Anyhow, your temps should not getting any worse, only better!

It's nice having those cooler temps tho huh!

Cheers

LOL I am temped to link ya to a zillion posts on AS application methods and opinions. I mean really you nipped the shiny - no shiny thing in the bud, but there are potentially at least 5 more thread pages on the proper amount and method of AS applicaion we are missing, and at least 3 pages on "curing" time. For example when you mated the surfaces you did "wiggle" it just a bit, right ? j/k

LOL, definately have to do the "wiggle" It is key.
Also do the wiggle whilst watching your core temps, you'll see how your mount is off. (Be very careful doing this!) I lowered my temps by tweaking my ninja a tad to one side.

No doubt, I researched tons and tons and have a huge folder of links and pics on lapping, IHS removal, socket retention modding, thermal paste applications, etc etc etc. So if I can't give em to you I might as well delete them .lol

If I had not done all that I would not be talking talk here!

I just realized that youre using AMD and not Intel, best for temp in AMD is to take off the IHS all together..... Cliff, 800 is too much, 600 is max you need;) .... for wet sanding, spit works good lol....

Cliff, got a link on best way to apply thermal paste? Ive never really looked at any guides, Ive just always covered the cpu as thin as possible.....

I just realized that youre using AMD and not Intel, best for temp in AMD is to take off the IHS all together..... Cliff, 800 is too much, 600 is max you need .... for wet sanding, spit works good lol....

I know 600g is all needed but I just wanted to look at myself before putting her back on the CPU!

When I went to lap my IHS (AMD X2) I decided it was going to be to much work-----
So I took the IHS off, put some bumpers on my chipboard,
modified the retention bracket and watched my temps go way down (as compared to the lapped Ninja on a clean IHS)

Cliff, got a link on best way to apply thermal paste? Ive never really looked at any guides, Ive just always covered the cpu as thin as possible.....

I have seen so many how to's, use a half a rice grain , 1/3 a pea etc.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf
I take my stuff apart so much for fun and tweaking that I test everything.

I make a spatula out of a plastic keg cup the width of the cpu or IHS and bend it.

I then put a small streak of AS5 on the cpu and use the spatula to thinly spread it.

I keep a small dish (bottom of keg cup cut-off) with 99%rubbing alchohol. I dip the spatula in it and wipe with paper towel to clean it and redip it and spread again to make the paste spread thin. I do this about 5-8 times till I have a perfectly broadcasted amount of AS5 without bare spots.

I have noticed that the better I get at it the closer my temps have been from initail install to 200 hours burn-in.

The better your lap job is the less AS5 you will need.

And when using very little AS5 the break in time will be very short.

My temps went down maybe 1C from the AS5 setting in.

Anyhow, your temps should not getting any worse, only better!

It's nice having those cooler temps tho huh!

Cheers
Agreed. Less is always better. You want just enough paste to fill the gaps without preventing metal to metal contact.

When using a paste like Ceramique or Shin Etsu, which have smaller particles than AS5, you get slightly more benefit from a smooth finish.
But as was said, no need for a mirror. Flat is where it's at. ;)

Back