first time im gonna build a computer. review my parts please

argh. this is turning into a amd vs. intel thing. its tearing me apart.

i liked that the amd stuff was cheaper than the intel stuff and i also like the easy uh.. overclocking of the amd stuff. however i am an intel !!!!!!.

this sucks. i cant think of what to do. i think im gonna stick with the intel stuff i chose out already. i should be happy with it and HL2 and doom 3 correct? i mean.. how big of a fps are we talking between the amd 64 and the intel 3.4ghz ?

92Camaro said:
well from what im reading you can voerclock the amd thing easy or something. also, this chip:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120428

i cant seem to find it at newegg. id like to order everything from newegg (even if the price is like 10 bucks different).

oh wait. is there a better cpu for a bit morem oney i think someone said something about a 3500+ or something. find me one of those. that will work on that msi k8n mobo.

Yeah that's the chip I am getting... a lot of people are hitting 3500 speeds and beyond easily.

Head over to Pricewatch and have a look. NewEgg should carry the 3500 though.

92Camaro said:
argh. this is turning into a amd vs. intel thing. its tearing me apart.

i liked that the amd stuff was cheaper than the intel stuff and i also like the easy uh.. overclocking of the amd stuff. however i am an intel !!!!!!.

this sucks. i cant think of what to do. i think im gonna stick with the intel stuff i chose out already. i should be happy with it and HL2 and doom 3 correct? i mean.. how big of a fps are we talking between the amd 64 and the intel 3.4ghz ?

Well I noticed a diff in HL2 because of the physics. My buddies system handles large physics computations a lot better than my current Intel setup. So I am moving to the AMD system to handle that.

Which AMD vs which Intel?

P.S. Don't let it tear you apart too much, any CPU is obsolete by the time you install it anyway. :p

how noticeable was it i mean was it:

stop and think about it everytime *it* happens? or was itj ust at the back of your mind.

also list some uh.. examples of when the diff's show if you can...

im not to itnerested in the audio i wasj ust wonderign about it sicne it said 7.1. im fine with my two speakers and the sub. lol they are atlec lansing and are FINE by me.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Which AMD vs which Intel?

P.S. Don't let it tear you apart too much, any CPU is obsolete by the time you install it anyway. :p

tell em about it :rolleyes: lol

i got this dell in 1998 it was a high end pentium 3 500mhz blah blah blah. over the past 7 years it has become obsolete in what stuff is becoming obsolete in MONTHS now. its CRAZY.

You know my $3500 in 1999 Dell P3 700 still runs XP rather well and I played UT2K3 on it with my Ti4200 just fine.

My only concern with AMD vs Intel isn't speed but rather reliability.

92Camaro said:
how noticeable was it i mean was it:

stop and think about it everytime *it* happens? or was itj ust at the back of your mind.

also list some uh.. examples of when the diff's show if you can...

im not to itnerested in the audio i wasj ust wonderign about it sicne it said 7.1. im fine with my two speakers and the sub. lol they are atlec lansing and are FINE by me.

Oh no... for example everytime a grenade exploded in the middle of a bunch of barrels, or a rocket hit tons of wood. Very annoying.

Don' t get me wrong the Intel side of things is still strong. I just think going with the previous gen. chipset and whatnot might dissapoint in a month or two. I had that board for almost a year and a half and it was great. I just think for your money you could get better.

what happens when the grendae blows up the barrels? is it lag or what i mean. lol looks liek you left out some words there.

also what do you mean previous gen chipset?

the nforce3 thing?

is intel coming out with an nforce 3 motherboard ? er.. asus i mean....

uhm.. i mean im not it any real rush to get this thing built, i have till late may/early june....

should i wait on new intel stuffs?

Teehehe.

You're so confused! :(

Boil it down to this:

If you know Intel stick with it.

If you are willing to take a "risk" and try something "new" go with AMD.

Previous Gen Chipsets..meaning NForce/NForce 2.

NForce Chipsets are not used for Intel. You can even check that on newegg click MOBO -- INTEL and go through the list of chipsets.

IF! You are willing to make the change to AMD, and you CAN wait, wait for NForce 4 to catch on more. Newer technology never hurt anyone.

But yeah...If you are getting to confused between choosing and all that good stuff stick with your INTEL set up. Nothing is wrong with it and you will be very happy. Don't let all us AMD fans persaude you away from what you know and like.

nforce 4 i thougth that amd mobo (the msi k8n ) one had nforce 3 an was like top of the line brand new?

also, this pci-e stuff scares me. lol.

its probably foolish to buy a pc right now anyways. right before agp dies and sai d *last gen chip sets* get replaced. damnit yo.

hmm. i guess i can buy everything except the mobo and cpu right now and then wait till right before june and buy whatevers good at the time....

Well think about it this way.

By the time you buy your parts, and they ship, and you install them they will ALL be "old" as newer technology would have been introduced. Just buy your parts now, don't wait. You'll save about 50-100 dollars if you wait anyways.

i say wait a bit more, read up some more stuff, search the forums...etc, u dont really seem u know too much about computer hardware and if u are still confused about what to get, i think most likely u will probably have a hard time putting it together(ex: "how do i turn it on for the first time?"). i think it will help u if u read more posts about people wanting suggestions for a computer they want to build. if u can wait till june to build this u might as well give it at least 2 months from now to get ur self "educated." i started up in october wanting to build a computer( i didnt have enough money and still don't) and i was just like u, but now i know a hell of a lot more and u should too after a while.

back on subject, choose what u want to get, intel or amd, by the time u build u will probably be convinced amd is better and wont have a problem with choosing them (amd is kicking intel's ass right now, imo)

and by june, PCI-E will probably be easily available and u wont have a problem with the price being jacked up. PCI-E is just another kind of slot, and thats bout it, realy nothing more.
and dont buy everything but the motherboard and cpu and wait 6 months to buy the mobo and cpu then. the mobo and cpu arent the only things that new stuff comes out for, by that time there could be better kinds of RAM , video cards, hdd;s.ect...

Your specs look good to me !

I have the same motherboard, and yes you do get a back plate for all your ports. The retail kit also includes SATA cables and a good user manual. Going with PCI-E for now would not be that much of an improvement plus those devices are first generation and sure to have issues out of the gate. If you get 3500 or better speed on the RAM this board seems to love it if you OC. System has been stable for well over a year.

I also suggest better RAM. I'm using Corsair, see my sig.

Have fun !

i was sold to the mushkin stuff.

and as far as turning on the comp the first time, if everything is hooked up right it should just tunr on and take me to the uh.. hard disk formatting screen right? from there i label my drives and set one as the boot drive and instal windows on to it, correct?

and then after that i can mess with my bios stuff? or do i do the bios stuff before the winxp install.

and for the posts a while ago about amd processors using a bios, i didnt know if they did or not, thats why i was asking. it may be stupid but like i said, i dont know just how different amd is than intel.

Every motherboard will have a BIOS chip, which tells the computer how to talk to all the components and adress them properly.

If you get the Asus board and have IDE drives you'll want to disable the RAID in the BIOS, but thats about all you'll need to do in there.

Windows XP is simple, you put the CD in and it tells you what to do step by step, do a quick format, and it does the rest with three more clicks.

Once you install WinXP with SP2 the only thing you'll need to change is the settings for Virtual Memory allocation, changing the page file size from Windows managed to custom at 2000MB and 2000MB. Thats the single most important WinXP optimization you'll ever do. If you don't you can expect severe performance degradation down the road, even with standard defragmentation. I also higly recommend you buy Diskeeper from www.executive.com . I've used that since 2001 and its the very best defragmenter out there. The WinXP one is a dumbed down version of Diskeeper made for Microsoft by Executive.

quick question about that 2000mb thing, on my comp ruight now i have winxp pro, and i have a 20gig hdd, i have my ONE harddrive partitioned into a like 4.5gig section and the rest on the other, i noly have like 300megs left on my c drive (where xp and some other stuff is , all needed unfortunatly, it sucks i know... i dont know how to like transfer 1 gig over to the c partition..) anyways

if i set my windows page fiel to 2000 and 2000 will that let i uh.. use 2000mbs on my c drive? lol or will it automatically use my d partition since it has like 4 gigs free?

edit: just opened up the page file thin and saw that i could set it to2000/2000 on my d partition, cool, and i took the 576 off of my c partition. i hope this maeks my comp run a little better right now.

92Camaro said:
quick question about that 2000mb thing, on my comp ruight now i have winxp pro, and i have a 20gig hdd, i have my ONE harddrive partitioned into a like 4.5gig section and the rest on the other, i noly have like 300megs left on my c drive (where xp and some other stuff is , all needed unfortunatly, it sucks i know... i dont know how to like transfer 1 gig over to the c partition..) anyways

if i set my windows page fiel to 2000 and 2000 will that let i uh.. use 2000mbs on my c drive? lol or will it automatically use my d partition since it has like 4 gigs free?

edit: just opened up the page file thin and saw that i could set it to2000/2000 on my d partition, cool, and i took the 576 off of my c partition. i hope this maeks my comp run a little better right now.

That would only do you any good if you had 1 gig of RAM in your current system, he was talking about doing that to the system you are proposing to build.

Yeah, you should check this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=820472

On how to size the Page File for your current set up.

My page file sits at either 1000/1000 or 2000/2000 (don't remember Currently on a different computer) I don't let the page file grow in size as I read that it will eventually fragment and getting defrags for that is a pain in the ass.

I believe on THIS rig, I have the page file around 600MB. No growth as well.
------

About Partitioning again: If you go with SuSE it will automatically set up a SWAP partition based on your rig. You can manually change it, but I have seen no reason to.

the newegg site is down. argh.

anyways, once again, when im done building my pc, and everything is plugged in etc, all i have to do is turn it on and it will work?

sorry to be so clueless but id rather not fuck anything up ya know?

Well assuming everything is right it will. Then you just need to Hit DEL to enter the BIOS at the correct time(while the comp is POSTING) and then you can change how things boot (CDROM/FLOOPY/HD) pop in that Win XP CD and click next a few times.

^^ We'll (Hard Forum) will help you all the way. :) Or..at least I'll make sure to check for you name.

Yes, although, you might want to keep you case panel open or if you have a window just watch and make sure the CPU fan, GPU fan all spin up smoothly with out interfernce.

ill keep that in mind.

what happens if i dont hit f8 at the right tiem and it uh.. goes beyond posting?

It will then just move on and then nothing will happen. :-D After all, the BIOS did what it had to do. It might tell you like "No Operating System found" or something. Just restart, insert OS cd, reboot :-D

Also I think it is worth mentioning, depending on the BIOS some load with a big ass Banner Image. If you see it, just hit F8 sometime during then to access the BIOS. From it you can disable their stupid Logo Graphic and actually see what the BIOS is looking for/doing. Which is insanely helpful when things go wrong during POST :-D

92Camaro said:
oh nooooooes... what if things go wrong. lol.

*in a low-pitch voice from nowhere*

if things go wrong.......heaven forbid...........i...will...............have...to...KILL you! (j/k)

dont worry.....its more like a warning i believe...........but im not sure.......i just had to add in the top part lol

I agree this forum is very helpful. Just to add my 2 cents I would go with the AMD 64. Intel is good, but I think you get a better performing chip at a cheaper cost with the AMD 64. It is a win win situation.

92Camaro said:
the newegg site is down. argh.

anyways, once again, when im done building my pc, and everything is plugged in etc, all i have to do is turn it on and it will work?

sorry to be so clueless but id rather not fuck anything up ya know?

Yes and No....you will turn it on for sure. The first issue will be to check and make sure that the BIOS is set to default settings.(Press Delete key as you boot) You want this because we don't want to set anything to aggresive that migh cause the Windows install to hang or fail. Basically just make sure that "AUTO" is set for CPU speed. Also, make sure that your drives are being recognized in BIOS especially you CD drive and that it is on the boot order. Put in your Windows disk and reboot. Follow the install instructions carefully.

Nothing more to do but wait for the install to finish.

edit: as for that cpu up there, would their be a better one in the uh.. winchester core? same price rangeish?

uhm. that preatorian case looks good and all but i notice it doesnth ave a fan on the cover thing. is that bad? can i add one ?

Newcastle is good but I would go with Winchester.

But since I couldn't find a 3500+ non-OEM you might as well go with this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-502&depa=1

^^ 3200+ Thats what I have right now. I love it.

As for buying a sound card...why? Your Board has 7.1 channels on it. So you won't need one. Save the money.

Also, the link for the Graphics card doesn't work. Which is it. Also I wouldn't buy a Graphics card from BB, as they overprice like crazy. Search for the same one on NewEgg.

Those HD's are normal ID/ATA drives. If you were looking for SATA go search again :-D

Everything is fine.

--
Edit: I don't know about the case. 2 Fans for that system :-\ Unless you plan on cooling it with Water then I would try to find a case that comes stock with more fans. 2 Will cool it fine I suppose, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Edit 2:
I'd also go with ViewSonics monitor
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-282&depa=1

Cheaper, same dot pitch, and its 2 pounds lighter.
You'll save about 70 bucks. Which could go towards upgrading something else. After all that 70 bucks could make the difference between a 6800 or a GT. Which I would have liked.

yea iw as JUST saw that the link to bb dont work either, retards, anyways
is thsi the same card ?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-143-022&depa=1

the one on best buy had the same picture. someone said it was already overclocked al ittle bit, costs 10 bucksm ore and had a lifetime warranty, since i couldnt get it at best buy i searched on new egg and found that, is it the same? also, it comes with doom3 !!! im looking forward to that.

as for the hard dries, i was convinced that the ide 7200's were pretty close in real wolrd stuff to the sata raptor 10,000 , so im gonna go with 2 of those hard drives i think. i ll probably drop the sound card on your recommendation, but i dunno if the sound qualtiy is gonna be better with the sound card seperate.

anyways, that case has FOUR fans, 1 top, 2 front, 1 rear. is that enough?

thanks for the input.

goign wuith that mnoitor (viewsonic) matches the comp case , and is same size, says its optimal at 1600x1200 (what i run at right now)

lets see, im willing to bet i just dropped from like 1772 bucks down to like 1700 bucvks. KILLER.

Read the Case Fan readout wrong. Alrighty then.

Also nice Graphics Card. Where do you live? So I can come steal it :D :p
ets see, im willing to bet i just dropped from like 1772 bucks down to like 1700 bucvks. KILLER.

Every little bit helps, and everylittle bit adds up.

let me postwhore it up one more time right quick.

ill probably ask this again in about a week (or less if new egg ships as stated...)

but uhm.. hows about the differences between connectors on on the amd board vs. the intel one?

ie: power hookups etc, keep in mind ive NEVER done any .. internal pc work besides swapping a graphics card on this comp and adding a stick of 256 ram.

edit 1: also, with all this new stuff is this powersupply still gonna be enough?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-488&depa=0

Yes
and
Yes

For Further questions while installing Please refer to the manuals before asking questions on the forum :-D Teehehe :p

What is a shadow mask? To tired and too lazy to search at the moment.

My Dad had a Viewsonic 19inch Flat at his Office...back when CRT cost like 500 and nothing was wrong with it :-\

Back